Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had to have surgery for rectoceles caused by pressures of IBS? If so, what did you go through with this surgery? How long was your recovery?------------------L.B.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yes, I had the rectocele repair done last summer. My gyn doc did the repair and I was in hospital 2 days (should have stayed 4 but I wanted to go home, bad decision). My first week home I went to see my doc everyday for problems. I was off work 8 weeks. My doc did the surgery thru the vaginal area so no abdominal incision. This was a painful surgery but my doc gave me some good pain pills, do not do anything after this surgery, lay around and take it easy! That first stool is the worst but don't try to stop it because it hurts, my doc said that 50% of his patients have to have stool dug out of there because it hurts to go and they try to hold it back, what really helped me is a hot bath when I was feeling I had to go and it would just come out but it really hurt and made me cry. I don't want to scare you with my experience but my rectocele was a very bad one, my doc said only seen one person with a worse one, he had to do a lot of work to repair it. You may also notice that the muscles in the groin area ache, they have to pull them out of the way to fix the rectocele, but it will stop hurting after a while. Because of my other problems my rectocele has returned but it is only a little one right now, not going to do anything about it for awhile. Make arrangements to have family and friends help you out ahead of time, absolutely do not be tempted to do any housework or even cook for yourself at first. They will be taking sections out of your rectal wall to repair the rectocele and it must have time to heal, walking is okay (walk to the john LOL) but really take it easy!!! If you have any more questions feel free to email me at Mgunn810###aol.com. Hope this helped without scaring you to much. ------------------Honeybee (melissa)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yes, I had the rectocele repair done last summer. My gyn doc did the repair and I was in hospital 2 days (should have stayed 4 but I wanted to go home, bad decision). My first week home I went to see my doc everyday for problems. I was off work 8 weeks. My doc did the surgery thru the vaginal area so no abdominal incision. This was a painful surgery but my doc gave me some good pain pills, do not do anything after this surgery, lay around and take it easy! That first stool is the worst but don't try to stop it because it hurts, my doc said that 50% of his patients have to have stool dug out of there because it hurts to go and they try to hold it back, what really helped me is a hot bath when I was feeling I had to go and it would just come out but it really hurt and made me cry. I don't want to scare you with my experience but my rectocele was a very bad one, my doc said only seen one person with a worse one, he had to do a lot of work to repair it. You may also notice that the muscles in the groin area ache, they have to pull them out of the way to fix the rectocele, but it will stop hurting after a while. Because of my other problems my rectocele has returned but it is only a little one right now, not going to do anything about it for awhile. Make arrangements to have family and friends help you out ahead of time, absolutely do not be tempted to do any housework or even cook for yourself at first. They will be taking sections out of your rectal wall to repair the rectocele and it must have time to heal, walking is okay (walk to the john LOL) but really take it easy!!! If you have any more questions feel free to email me at Mgunn810###aol.com. Hope this helped without scaring you to much. ------------------Honeybee (melissa)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.