Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just started having chest pain about a week ago, and it comes and goes, most the time it feels like a constant pressure on the left side of my chest, and ill get shortness of breath, and ill feel my pulse and it'll seem like sometimes it will skip a beat, or be beating just fine and normal and then get really weak like i can barely feel it with my fingers, and ill get this fleeting choking sensation feeling in my neck and i can feel it beating really hard in my neck and my chest and i get kinda light headed, i went to the ER the other day and they did a chest x-ray and an ekg, and told me they both looked fine. i know this feeling isn't right but i dont know what else to do, anyone else have any advice, i know im not just making this up and thinking that its happening, bc it really is

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
also pretty frequently i will get like a sharp stabbing pain right by my left pectorial, and it will eventually go away after a few mins, but comes and goes. and my hands and feet are always cold even when the rest of my body is hot, what could this be?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I think the tests they had done on the other thread
quote:i went to the doc and they did blood work, echocardiogram, holter monitor, and a stress test and they said that all the tests came back completely normal.
sound like they have been to the cardiologist. I think this ER visit is more recent.K.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i haven't been to a cardiologist, just to the charity hospital where they did them tests, i dont have any insurance, i had them tests done about 6 months or so ago, and i just recently started having the palpitations, premature beats feeling, and the chest pain, mostly it is a constant discomfort by my left pectorial, and quite frequently i get a sharp stabbing pain in the same spot. im also wondering if cold hands and feet have anything to do with maybe my heart isn't circulating good enought to keep them warm and thats why im having the pains also???? could any of this be possible? does it make sense? could there be something wrong with my heart that the "echocardiogram, stress test, ekg, holter monitor, and chest x-rays didn't pick up? also i was born premature, i was 4lbs and 11 ounces, i dont know if that would have anything to do with it now or not, just giving you the info, i'm a 21 yr old male. and the pain doesn't really come at any given time, mostly in the evenings and at night, when im at rest and not doing anything.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I work for a cardiologist and if your stress test and echo came out okay, most cardiologists would probably think that your pain is not related to your heart. You could try a 24 or 48 hour holter monitor or a 30 day event monitor to get a recording and rule out arrhythmia.

·
Registered
11 Posts
heart palpitations are a symptom of an anxiety attacks, as is chest wall/muscle spasms. I used to get the same feeling you described all the time, mostly when I was lying still "relaxing" at night or in the evenings. Freaking out about having a heart problem will only make the symptoms worse. Anxiety works like that: the heart races, you think you're having a heart attack or something is wrong with your heart, you see the doc and he does tests, tells you everything is fine, but you still feel like #### so you wonder what he must've missed---maybe you have some strange illness that no one can find---maybe you'll live like this forever and no one will ever have the answer---and at night when you're lying there your subconcious mind starts wondering "what if"---and boom there's another stab of pain and your heartrate takes off. It's a never ending cycle. Chances are it's not your heart. It's a bad case of nerves. I take Effexor for panic attacks and it has helped. I hope you begin to feel better soon. Anxiety is horrible...but treatable.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so...does the cold hands and feet along with the chest pain, and feeling of premature beats and palpitations suggest at all poor circulation or no?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Cold hands and feet don't have to indicate poor circulation. It can be totally normal. I mean if you don't wear enough clothes to keep your torso warm your hands and feet will be cold to keep your torso warm. They can also be an anxiety reaction. Do you have high blood pressure that is untreated or diabetes? Usually you only see serious cirulation problems in people with diseases like that. Heart beat issues are heart beat issues and could be your anxiety. Is there some reason you refuse to believe your anxiety symptoms are anxiety?K.

·
Registered
5 Posts
HI, I WANT TO TELL YOU SOMETHING THAT YOU MIGHT WANT TO READ ABOUT. IT IS CALLED HYPERADRENERGICSYNDROME AND ALSO DYSAUTONOMIA. THIS IS WHAT MY CARDIOLOGIST SAYS I HAVE. THE HEART PALPITATIONS, RAPID HEART BEAT, COLD HANDS AND FEET ETC. ARE SYMPTOMS OF THIS. IT CAN'T HURT YOU APPARENTLY BUT IT DOES SCARE YOU. IT IS SOMETHING THEY HAVE KNOWN ABOUT SINCE THE 1940'S BUT ARE REALLY JUST NOW UNDERSTANDING IT. AND GUESS WHAT THE KICKER IS, IT IS ALSO LINKED WITH GASTROINTESTINAL PROBLEMS. LET ME KNOW IF THIS INFO. HELPS AT ALL. I HAD BEEN PUT ON HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE MEDS FOR 8 YEARS AND I DID NOT EVEN HAVE IT. BUT ANYWAY NOW I NO LONGER HAVE TO TAKE HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE MEDS. I AM 40 NOW SO I ALWAYS THOUGHT I WAS TOO YOUNG FOR HBP. ALSO MY IBS PAIN FOCUS MAINLY ON MY LOWER BACK AREA. SOMETIMES IT IS EXCRUTIATING. BUT YOU MAY NOT HAVE THIS SAME SYMPTOM. I HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER.MUCH LUCK,RHIANNON

1 - 11 of 11 Posts