Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have other IBS symptoms, mainly constipation and gas, but from time to time I will get horrible pain right above my belly button. This has been going on for about 20 years, and most of the time it follows eating foods with a lot of sugar. Ten years ago I used to have pancakes every Sunday morning, and that would frequently be followed by abdominal pain. I finally learned my lesson and try not to over do it, and when I do anyway, I also learned not to eat anything more the rest of the day, as it'll inevitably make the pain much worse. A rule of thumb I've used is not to eat again until I feel hunger pains, and therefore my appetite is back and it's probably safe. The day after Christmas, I slipped. I over did it with a bunch of Christmas chocolates (See's Candy actually), and later in the day I had a yucky feeling along with gas and knew I'd made a mistake. But I had some left over Christmas dinner I was looking forward to that night, so I made my 2nd mistake by eating it. At that point there wasn't yet any actually pain per say, so I thought I was safe, even though I didn't feel hungry. It didn't take long for the pain to set in. When it hurts, there is no way to get comfortable. But if I can manage to get to sleep, usually I'll wake up with no more pain. It took me until 7am to finally get to sleep. I woke up about 8:30 with the pain completely gone. Does anyone else experience abdominal pain like this? I'd always assumed it was typical of IBS, but others have said their pain moves around, while mine is always right above my belly button. Thanks!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Pain can be anywhere in the abdomen but it doesn't have to migrate around. Some people have one part that usually hurts and some have all over tenderness with or without a few usual spots of worse pain.That the pain goes away when you've slept is really typical of IBS. The colon is least active while you are sleeping. It varies in activity during the day and the eating makes it worse may be from the gastrocolic reflex that increases colon activity whenever you eat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am so glad I found this! I have just recently been diagnoses with IBS after a history of occasional mild nausea and more recently a few months of really horrid cramping, gas and other lovely things following eating. My situation is a bit odd. I'm from the USA and a native English speaker, but I'm currently living and working in Japan. When I finally went to the doctor about my problems, a Japanese friend helped me and translated as much as she could (and I also speak some Japanese), but I still left feeling unsure about the whole situation. The symptoms you describe sound pretty similar to me. My cramps are generally lower, but sometimes I get pain above my belly button, particularly after too many sweets or just eating too much. And just like you, I generally feel great in the morning, but symptoms, when they appear, get worse throughout the day >.< I wasn't sure if this was usually in IBS or not, so I feel relieved to know that there's someone else diagnoses with IBS that's been feeling the same.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts