Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been diagnosed with IBS for about 20 years (I'm 37), and for the most part I have all the classic symptoms. However, I noticed on this site that a red flag for having something other than IBS was if you are awakened by pain. Problems sleeping have increased over time for me, to where I'm now at the point where I rarely sleep through the night. Sometimes I can get back to sleep without getting up, but frequently I need to get up for awhile. If a BM is coming on, then I won't be able to sleep again until it happens. A number of years ago I found that I could improve my sleep by waiting until I had a BM before going to sleep. These days, though I still do this, it no longer seems to last for the whole night.Does anyone have any similar experiences? I've had numerous blood and stool tests, and a colonoscopy years ago, and all show no problems.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Markruss,I'm one of those that gets waken in the middle of the night with terrible pain and exposive D. It doesn't happen often --- maybe once a month or so. I've had all the test too and nothing else comes up except IBS.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
some people are awaked by it, but its rarer and sometimes has to do with the person being a light sleeper, or the cycles your body is trained to go. The gut sends signals to the brain so sometimes and upset stomack can wake you or cause bad dreams. For most people however it shuts down while sleeping. You could try going at different times, or something that may help you sleep better. However it does happen to some people sometimes.It maybe its more sleeping problems and cycles then your IBS really although that can surely be a of part of the picture.Serotonin is involved also in IBS and it has a part in sleeping.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.