Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a blurb in the New York Tims citing a study in which patients were given 2.5 grams of red pepper before meals for five weeks. there was a control group. After five weeks, the pepper group had 60% less discomfort than before. The active ingredient in pepper (capsaicin) may work by blocking nerve signals from gut to brain. Any more info on this? They cite an article in NEJournal of Med. 3/21/02. prayers for all.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I know that for Head pain (esp cluster headaches) people will eat very very very hot peppers.If you get something pinged with enough hot pepper then something called substance P gets depleted and until more is made you can't signal pain. (basically the battery is fully discharged an until you recharge it nothing is going to happen).You can also do this with poison ivy rashes. Run the rash under water as hot as you can stand for several minute. It will itch extremely intensely but it depletes the substance P and you can get a few hours of relief from the itch.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I know that for Head pain (esp cluster headaches) people will eat very very very hot peppers.If you get something pinged with enough hot pepper then something called substance P gets depleted and until more is made you can't signal pain. (basically the battery is fully discharged an until you recharge it nothing is going to happen).You can also do this with poison ivy rashes. Run the rash under water as hot as you can stand for several minute. It will itch extremely intensely but it depletes the substance P and you can get a few hours of relief from the itch.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Got into the article from the school of med's library here.It was for FUNCTIONAL DYSPEPSIA a stomach condition (which makes more sense that IBS as the stomach would be the target) and they EXCLUDED people with IBS from the study. They also excluded people with GERD.They did the study for a couple of weeks
quote:The overall symptom scores as well as the scores for epigastric pain, epigastric fullness, and nausea during the entire treatment period were significantly lower in the red-pepper group than in the placebo group (Figure 1). The weekly scores in the red-pepper group were significantly lower than those in the placebo group beginning in the third week of treatment
So for those with upper GI symptoms it may be worth a shot but if you are really just IBS I dunno if it will help that much (considering it would be pretty diluted by the time you get to the intestines so it may not be a big enough punch to block the pain nerves)K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Got into the article from the school of med's library here.It was for FUNCTIONAL DYSPEPSIA a stomach condition (which makes more sense that IBS as the stomach would be the target) and they EXCLUDED people with IBS from the study. They also excluded people with GERD.They did the study for a couple of weeks
quote:The overall symptom scores as well as the scores for epigastric pain, epigastric fullness, and nausea during the entire treatment period were significantly lower in the red-pepper group than in the placebo group (Figure 1). The weekly scores in the red-pepper group were significantly lower than those in the placebo group beginning in the third week of treatment
So for those with upper GI symptoms it may be worth a shot but if you are really just IBS I dunno if it will help that much (considering it would be pretty diluted by the time you get to the intestines so it may not be a big enough punch to block the pain nerves)K.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.