Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible for pain in the stomach and/or intestines to cause referred pain in the shoulder? I know that diaphragm irritation can cause referred pain in the shoulder, but hadn't heard if other types of abdominal pain can. The pain in my shoulder gets sharper when I take a deep breath sometimes but not always. I am just trying to figure out if I injured my shoulder or if the pain is somehow connected to the fact that my stomach has hurt for the past few days.Thanks!!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually the one that goes up to the shoulder blade is gall bladder.Are we talking in the shoulder joint, or the upper back near the shoulder blade?K.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I no longer have a gallbladder, so I hope that's not it!
The sharp pain is on my shoulder blade. I have dull achy pain on the whole shoulder, including the shoulder blade and the top of my shoulder. My upper middle back is getting sore, too.Actually the sharp pain is similar to the pain I had from the gas they used to blow up my belly during the gallbladder-ectomy.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Unfortunately you can still experience gallbladder-like referred pain even after your gallbladder has been removed....so you may not be able to rule that out based solely on the fact that yours is gone. There are other conditions though that can cause that type of referred pain, I think - anything to do with the liver, gallbladder or pancreas problems can make someone feel pain in the area that you are mentioning. As well as the reason you indicated - muscle strain from over use. It is a hard thing to pin down, I think.LaurieOh - and I just thought of something too. It may be way out there but some people think that the clips that are used to "tie" off the stump can cause irritation to the diaphragm which may stimulate that pain that you are talking about. I guess it could be possible, but I have no idea how likely this is or if it is just one of those wacko ideas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i to have pain in both shoulder and down my arms i have been trying to work out what it is as i dont strain any mussels as i dont do sport.Thanks i minght ask my gp and gyno next time i see them

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I must have hurt the muscle or my spine somehow because the pain is much better. My back is still sore however and unfortunately, my tummy still hurts, so if it isn't one thing it's another!Laurie - I had no idea the gallbladder could still cause trouble even after its outta there!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Lauralee,Sorry to bring that up...but it isn't something that everyone experiences: most people that have their gallbladder out are fine after they recuperate from the surgery and adjust to the change in bile storage...but there are a few that develop what is called post-cholecystectomy syndrome. Here is a link that describes a little bit about it: http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic2740.htm From what I understand from my reading about it is that it is a somewhat controversial "disease". That is, alot of doctors think that it really doesn't exist. Other doctors think it is a result of the lap chole - from scars or nerve damage to the sphincter of Oddi. There is also a chance that the person is still making gallstones - even without the gallbladder and that these stones get stuck in the bile duct...or that a stone was missed during the original surgery and after months or even years, it becomes lodged in the bile duct and causes the typical gallbladder-like pain (and even outright biliary colic). So, if your pain becomes more frequent, is associated with fatty meals, wakes you in the early morning or otherwise mimics gallbladder problems, don't hesitate to bring that up to your doctor. I would hate for you dismiss this as not being gallbladder associated because you think it isn't possible because you are without one. Not that I think that is what you are dealing with...just that you should keep this in the back of your mind in case of future problems. If it is that, and it becomes an emergency, you will know....believe me, so don't worry too much about it.Laurie

·
Registered
18 Posts
What about the pain in the front? It appears my stomach affects my mid back and the front. Just under your bra-line... is this from the stomach or just another problem???

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hi all. Pain is a weird thing. I can get it anywhere from the shoulder upper back area including the chest to the pelvic area. Even the legs. I was diagnosed with ibs 2 years ago. I had an upper endoscopy which was normal and a Thyroid test which was also normal. The doc didn't feel the colonoscopy was needed since I've has c issues since my teens and there were no red flag symptoms. I think us ibser's can get pain almost anywhere plus anxiety plays a role too.

·
Registered
381 Posts
When I get pain in the front - under the bra line like you describe - it is most likely due to scars or other irritations that I have from my abdominal surgeries. I also have liver / pancreas problems that manifest itself in pain in the area that you mention. However, like kazzy3 says......pain is so subjective and personal that when it is not acute and does not have laboratory and / or radiographic abnormalities along with it, it is hard to come to any firm conclusions about its cause. I have learned that abdominal pain that is accompanied by life threatening problems makes itself fairly obvious in a short time.It is the chronic pain, nagging and wearing, is the hardest to diagnose, treat and live with.Laurie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts