Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gastro just called me to go over all my results with me from all my tests that I have had recently. Since my hida scan revealed a refraction rate of 15% and I am having RUQ pain and all the other tests are normal. He wants to take the gallbladder out in hopes that it will relieve my symptoms.The only test we haven't done is a small bowel series and he doesn't really think it is necessary at this time. I am still confused as to what I should do so I guess I will talk to the surgeon and see what he has to add before I decide on the surgery.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Rita,Please Please Please get a second opinion before you let anyone take out your gall bladder. I'm not saying it doesn't need taken out, I'm just saying BE SURE it needs taken out before you let it happen.I had cramping and D after eating and when it finally happened frequently enough that I felt I needed to see a doctor, tests were ran and I was told my gall bladder needed removed. The difference between the two of us is that I was not having any "pain". Only cramping and D.I did not get a second opinion and had it removed and then......man o man did I ever start having trouble. I developed a severe pain in the sternum area and we still do not know for sure what it is. It comes and goes but started immediately after the surgery and I did not ever have anything like it before the surgery. It feels like I am having a heart attack and is very debilitating.I have had numerous tests and no conclusions. No acid reflux meds work. I just started Aciphex again to see if maybe it will work this time. So far it hasn't.I could go on and on but please just don't jump into anything. Of course you don't want to wait too long incase it is your gall bladder but getting a second opinion might just save you years of grief. Mine has lasted for 7 years now.My IBS has been around longer but I just didn't know at the time that was what it was. Keep us posted!Jleigh

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Rita Lucy there is usually at least one consultation with the surgeon.The office usually calls but if you don't hear from someone in a few days make the call yourself.Offices can lose numbers and patients.KamieP.S. Yes, I would most definately agree on the second opinion.We are going that route right now two.Unless of course you are absolutely sure.With my hysterectomy I knew what needed to be done.It was just a matter of jumping through the hoops.But if one is uncertain then a second opinion is a very good idea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had my gallbladder taken out a few weeks ago and STILL HAVE MY SYMPTOMS AND DISCOMFORT.Just a couple of weeks ago I went back to that doctor telling him that I still have the same symptoms... he ordered another ultra sound, another cat scan, more bloodwork, and finally said, "We've done a million dollar work-up and can't find anything wrong with you. What now?" I got up, walked out, and haven't been back.However, just today I went to a different doctor and he prescribed Flagyl in case I have parasites... he also prescribed Cipro as a combo treatment just in case I ate something spoiled (bad chicken or whatever). Plus, I'm giving them a stool sample tomorrow for testing... I'll update when I get the results back. Sheesh, it would be soooooo cool if all I've had these last few months are parasites, and all this just goes away.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Rita, sorry to hear of your troubles. You don't say if they've determined that you have any gall bladder dysfunction. Is it diseased? Do you have stones? Is there pain? These things all need to be investigated before surgery. One thing I've learned the hard way is that there are very few surgeries in the world that don't exact some kind of price, like leaving you with some other problem. I had to have my gall bladder out, there was no choice. It was loaded with large stones and I got to the point where if I ate anything but bread and water the pain was unbearable. I wish now that I'd investigated a bit to see if there was anyway to dissolve the stones, as my gall bladder was not diseased. Anyway, the pain did go away with the gall bladder, but the D remained and worsenes. Questran has solved this problem, but I must take it every day, twice a day, for the rest of my life. So, keep you diet simple and do some investigation until you are satisfied that the suggested course of treatment is absolutely necessary. Some of these doctors are way to quick to start removing parts, ignoring the consequences of doing so. Best wishes

·
Registered
202 Posts
I never totally recovered from my gallbladder pain. It was removed 2 years ago and I still have problems, the function was at 10%. The day after it was removed the cycle started all over again, nausia, vomiting(bile) and URQ pain. I called the the doctor and she said that it was prob. the flu. I found that hard to beleive. Now 2 years later the problems finally got so bad that I talked to my family doctor and she refered me to a GI.At first the GI told me that there may be liver problems or a stone stuck in the bile tract somewhere. He did a endoscope on me and got the diagonis of H.Pylori. After 2 weeks of treatment for that, still no relif. He ordered an ultrasound and and my bile duct is dilated and there is pressure on the duct. An ERCP is scheduled for This Tuesday.My point is make sure that feel positive that this sugery can releive your symptoms. See what the doctor says and the both of you make the best possbile decision. This may be the root of all your problems and it may solve it, just make sure you have looked into all the options. Take Care and good luck. Let us know what turnes out!!!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had my gallbladder removed 18 years ago and within one to two weeks, the diarrhea started. I have had many tests and no medications have truly helped the diarrhea. It has been this way non-stop for 18 years now. Not everyone gets this, but the majority I have talked to has gotten diarrhea after this surgery.Gallstones are not fun, the pain is immense, and let me tell you, the surgery hurts like hell too! I will not kid, or lie, about that one. I had mine cut at an angle and it was a bit harder to recoup from, I am told, but better in the long run. I guess that depends on the person. Did they do an ultra sound on you to see if there are any stones? Diseased? I had one stone the size of a quarter and three the size of a dime, or larger.And if you do have the surgery, ensure that you do as the doctor says. Do not do any lifting, work, moving around alot, etc....until you are supposed to. I unfortunately had two small children and only had help with them for the first two weeks, so I started to do things too soon. Now I have scar tissue because of it, that is very painful as well at times. When I had problems that led up to my hysterectomy, before age 25, they did some tests and during the laporoscopy (?sp) they told me if it was to where they could clip that scar tissue, they would. Well, they couldn't do it and I was told the only way to fix the scar tissue issue
was to literally have that surgery redone, to pare away that tissue. I said, not no, but hell no!!
I will just have to live with it I guess, along with the diarrhea caused from the surgery.Second opinion....yes, yes!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.