Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The majority of my "IBS-D friendly" diet is made up the "bad carbs" such as white bread, white pasta, white rice, etc, stuff with little if any fiber.While I'm a healthy weight (actually a few pounds underweight) I have noticed several symptoms associated with an unstable blood sugar or Hypoglycemia. I haven't talked it over with my doctor yet, but from the book I've been reading about controlling Hypoglycemia, it recommends eliminating pretty much all the foods that are a staple of my IBS-D friendly diet and to eat foods such as green veggies and complex carbs that are high in fiber (all foods I know would give me major, IBS-D problems).Has anyone else had experience with trying to manage Hypoglycemia and IBS-D at the same time, and if so what types of foods have you found that allow you to strike a balance between managing both conditions

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
You might look at either some "South Beach Diet" or "Glycemic Index Diet" type of books. I think South Beach has a "Good Carb" index which lists the GI of various carbs even the more refined ones.Some refined carbs have different Glycemic indexes and there are things you can do even when you eat those carbs that help.Like make sure you get some protien with the carbs, or a little fat, or a bit of vinegar (acidity). So if you find bread is good, just dip it in a little bit of olive oil or some non-trans fat margerine and you significantly drop how fast your blood sugar will rise. With IBS-D you may not tolerate large amounts of fat on the bread, but a little bit may be OK, and help with the blood sugar thing.Lots of things effect the glycemic load of a meal, especially if you are clear what foods set off your IBS-D.For instance Jasmine Rice has a very high Glycemic index, but Basmati Rice has a much lower Glycemic index even though both are white rice.If a bread is sourdough it has a lower glycemic index than a bread with the exact same flour that is not sourdough.You might also, if you haven't, seen if the Calcium Carbonate thing helps (see LNAPE's threads over on the OTC part of the board) some people find 300-600 mgs of Calcium Carbonate with meals helps some people (not recommended if you have known calcium metabolism issues that require you limit calcium).K.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.