Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a study from Aug 2000 which says that gas is not propelled forward efficiently in 90% of IBS patients and this corresponds with bloating and abdominal distension. Many of you will say I told you so!Neostigimine, a prokinetic, can be used to stimulate propulsion. This effectively clears gas from the gut. I don't know what this medicine is.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the study:Title: Impaired transit and tolerance of intestinal gas in the irritable bowel syndrome. Author: Serra J , Azpiroz F , Malagelada JR Source: Gut, 48(1): 14-9 2001 Service Fee: $10.75 ; Copyright Royalties: $3.90 Abstract: BACKGROUND: Patients with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) frequently complain of excessive gas but their fasting volume of intestinal gas is apparently normal. We hypothesised that the pathophysiological mechanism involved may be impairment of intestinal gas transit. AIM: To investigate intestinal gas transit and tolerance in IBS patients compared with healthy subjects. METHODS: A gas mixture (N(2), O(2), and CO(2) in venous proportions) was infused into the jejunum of 20 patients with IBS and 20 healthy controls at 12 ml/min for four hours. Gas evacuation, initially flatus from the anus (two hours) and then intrarectally (two hours), was continuously recorded. Symptom perception (0-6 scale) and abdominal distension were measured at 10 minute intervals. RESULTS: After two hours of external gas (flatus) collection, 18 of 20 IBS patients had developed gas retention (>400 ml), increased gastrointestinal symptoms (score >3), or abdominal distension (>3 mm girth increment) compared with only four of 20 control subjects. During intrarectal gas collection, 13 of 17 patients still exhibited abnormal responses. CONCLUSION: A large proportion of patients with IBS can be shown to have impaired transit and tolerance of intestinal gas loads. This anomaly may represent a possible mechanism of IBS symptoms, specifically pain and bloating. The neostogimine article can be found at (Gastroenterology 2000:118 G825)

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the study:Title: Impaired transit and tolerance of intestinal gas in the irritable bowel syndrome. Author: Serra J , Azpiroz F , Malagelada JR Source: Gut, 48(1): 14-9 2001 Service Fee: $10.75 ; Copyright Royalties: $3.90 Abstract: BACKGROUND: Patients with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) frequently complain of excessive gas but their fasting volume of intestinal gas is apparently normal. We hypothesised that the pathophysiological mechanism involved may be impairment of intestinal gas transit. AIM: To investigate intestinal gas transit and tolerance in IBS patients compared with healthy subjects. METHODS: A gas mixture (N(2), O(2), and CO(2) in venous proportions) was infused into the jejunum of 20 patients with IBS and 20 healthy controls at 12 ml/min for four hours. Gas evacuation, initially flatus from the anus (two hours) and then intrarectally (two hours), was continuously recorded. Symptom perception (0-6 scale) and abdominal distension were measured at 10 minute intervals. RESULTS: After two hours of external gas (flatus) collection, 18 of 20 IBS patients had developed gas retention (>400 ml), increased gastrointestinal symptoms (score >3), or abdominal distension (>3 mm girth increment) compared with only four of 20 control subjects. During intrarectal gas collection, 13 of 17 patients still exhibited abnormal responses. CONCLUSION: A large proportion of patients with IBS can be shown to have impaired transit and tolerance of intestinal gas loads. This anomaly may represent a possible mechanism of IBS symptoms, specifically pain and bloating. The neostogimine article can be found at (Gastroenterology 2000:118 G825)

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know where you can get the medicine but atleast it is a name you can take to your doc.More info about it at ( Gastroenterology 2000:118; A138). I think it is a selective motor agonist. I don't even know if it is available .I read about it. If not now , some hope for the future

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know where you can get the medicine but atleast it is a name you can take to your doc.More info about it at ( Gastroenterology 2000:118; A138). I think it is a selective motor agonist. I don't even know if it is available .I read about it. If not now , some hope for the future

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Just fyi, Hypnotherapy increases transit and can help to expel gas and also colon spasming.Take a look at this graph with abdominal pain, distension and placebo and HT. http://www.ibshypnosis.com/IBSresearch.html There is a lot of information to consider in all this however. Normal or abnormal gas levels. The sensitive nerves in the gut wall. Different mechanisms (which are not understood well) in distension and bloating.Increased or decresed transit. Different kinds of contractions and spasming etc..

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Just fyi, Hypnotherapy increases transit and can help to expel gas and also colon spasming.Take a look at this graph with abdominal pain, distension and placebo and HT. http://www.ibshypnosis.com/IBSresearch.html There is a lot of information to consider in all this however. Normal or abnormal gas levels. The sensitive nerves in the gut wall. Different mechanisms (which are not understood well) in distension and bloating.Increased or decresed transit. Different kinds of contractions and spasming etc..

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
eric, I think you're right as a general statement in saying the hypnosis can do the same thing as a pill but saying any specific medication or type of hypnosis will do anythiong specifically down there is still down the road.tom

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
eric, I think you're right as a general statement in saying the hypnosis can do the same thing as a pill but saying any specific medication or type of hypnosis will do anythiong specifically down there is still down the road.tom

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Frankly speaking tom,I don't know how much down the road. I have been reading this paper and I don't know what this study says that is so new because Levitt et al had already identified delay in intestinal transit in IBS patients with "gaseous" complaints in 1975. The subtleties escape me. It seems to me they could have tried medications to accelerate transit right then. Why it was left to Serra et al to try this prokinetic as a treatment is beyond me! ? And how soon can we expect any progress?

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Frankly speaking tom,I don't know how much down the road. I have been reading this paper and I don't know what this study says that is so new because Levitt et al had already identified delay in intestinal transit in IBS patients with "gaseous" complaints in 1975. The subtleties escape me. It seems to me they could have tried medications to accelerate transit right then. Why it was left to Serra et al to try this prokinetic as a treatment is beyond me! ? And how soon can we expect any progress?

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
bonnie, there are I think hundreads of articles on prokinetics and many available options. which is best is an individual thing but check with your doctor on what's new and what might work for you! one was pulled from the market, for example, because of side effects, but is now back, i think. i also think jeff has this information in one of the forumstom

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
bonnie, there are I think hundreads of articles on prokinetics and many available options. which is best is an individual thing but check with your doctor on what's new and what might work for you! one was pulled from the market, for example, because of side effects, but is now back, i think. i also think jeff has this information in one of the forumstom

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tom I am happy to say I don't suffer from this problem. But if as you say prokinetics are already on the market, then that is informative for people who have this problem and look into this thread. Thanks, tom. Ask your doc for a prokinetic, people!

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
tom I am happy to say I don't suffer from this problem. But if as you say prokinetics are already on the market, then that is informative for people who have this problem and look into this thread. Thanks, tom. Ask your doc for a prokinetic, people!

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There is an editorial about this research in the Gastroenterology :122:576-578.By the way, these authors also have a study which shows if you voluntarily restrain your self from passing gas, then that is when you perceive these symptoms of discomfort. MORAL OF THE STORY: Never restrain yourself! Always be near a bathroom! That is where I am-near a bathroom- most of the time. That is why I think I don't have signs of discomfort like bloating etc

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.