Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone has more pain the week before and the days right before your period, and the spasms/pain abates after the onset of the period? I thought this was a normal IBS thing, until someone said their pain was worse once the flow started. My gastro also thought it was a little unusual. I suspect that female problems including endometriosis, a tilted uterus and a fibroid tumor are contributing. I also have the type of flow someone else described: scanty, brownish, some clots, and my period may only last a day or two or three.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey! I just posted something similiar to what you just said. (but no replies yet
) I have the exact same problems. Normally, it last anywhere from 3-4 days for me, and I have the cramps that subside after I begin bleeding. Also, the brown flow with clots. Unfortunately, I can't offer much advice, but you aren't alone. The only thing I can tell you is to see your gynecologist, which is what I plan to do. I hope you get better and let me know if you find out anything!

G

·
me too! my period lasts about 3-4 days and it is brownish sometimes, foul smelling, with lots of clots. Before ibs it was a much longer flow with no clots. My ibs is bad year round and much worse right before the period starts, but around day 2 I start feeling great-no spasms and can release a lot of gas and pressure. This lasts for a few days while I'm bleeding most heavily. What is this? Could this be endometriosis-related? I haven't been diagnosed but I wonder all the time.Cindy our symtpoms continue to mirror each others. I wonder if there is something to this. -Susan

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's it exactly, Susan. You might want to check out the thread on this discussion board that's called "about the flow" or something similar. My gyn has always indicated that the brownish color is nothing to be concerned about. But, you should still get it checked out. I guess misery loves company. I just assumed it was part of IBS that it got worse around your period, and someone on this discussion board commented that it's normally worse when you're actually on your period. BTW, I started having endo problems when I was quite young. The pain is quite different than IBS pain. It is in the lower pelvic area, and is piercing, burning and sharp . . . on a pain threshold level the pain is actually worse than the pain of IBS, but it's pretty short lived and plain old ibuprofen or acetominophin makes things tolerable; i.e. it's easier controlled than IBS pain. But, the pain I'm talking about that I have before my period is an increase in IBS pain and spasms. After the period starts(like you around day two) I feel so much better. I will tell you the clots are newer for me. They've occurred in the last 2 or 3 years, and I did have a golf ball size fibroid turn up. My gyn said that this could be part of the reason for the clotting. We should all be called Nancy Drew, trying to solve this mystery of IBS!!

G

·
I sure wish my periods had been scanty... the brown wouldn't have bothered me in the least. My periods were terribly profuse with "clots" the size of the palm of my hand and caused me debilitating pain, including muscle weakness and overall general fatigue and malaise. I can't say that there was ever any type of foul odor, however.I've never known anyone who had these scanty, brown, foul-smelling periods so I'm interested in what you find out as well.My pain always began with the onset of the flow too. I always felt pretty good up until that point.Just a note that having a hysterectomy solved all the mysteries concerning where my pain was coming from because it was then that my IBS worsened about 10 times over.Evie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.