Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my gallbladder removed 6 yrs ago. Mine was an "open" surgery due to some large stones that were floating around. Since, there I have had periodic bouts of diarrhea with uncomfortable cramping. I am also tired of constantly worrying about what foods to avoid. Otherwise, I am in pretty good health.What is the over counter product (with calcium?) that has worked for you? Does it cause constipation. Any help you can give is appreciated.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Do a search here on "Caltrate." This seems to help many. It hasn't worked for me. However, I just read that Calcium Phosphate(as opp. to Carbonate in Caltrate) is effective for some in binding and inactivating the bile acids which may slip into the colon. In some, the terminal ileum is unable to reabsorb the bile after it's done its work in the small intestine. This bile acid in the colon has a potent laxative effect. It also kills beneficial bacteria. I don't know if the gallbladder removal would effect the t. ileum or not. FYI, the cholesterol binding drug "Questran" is also reported to help in the same way. But as with all Rx drugs, there are nasty side effects.As a fellow "D" sufferer, I can relate to your troubles. Best of luck with this![This message has been edited by Island girl (edited 01-22-2001).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also try searching on here for Imodium. There are literally thousands of posts about it. It's a great OTC drug that works wonders. It only causes short-term constipation for most which goes away in a day or two but it definitely does the trick!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.