Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has tried Remeron or Amitryptiline and if they had any side effects while taking it. I have tried Celexa, which gave me horrible D after everything I ate. I normally don't get D or C, just stomach cramps, gas/bloating and anxiety attacks. I also took Paxil which I felt weird while on it. Both of these meds seemed to also have sexual side effects which was not a good thing either!! Any comments would be appreciated...thanks!!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Amitryptiline usually causes constipation, while paxil, celexa, etc. are likely to cause D. I think most antidepressants have sexual side effects....I know
Sometimes you have to put up with the side effects for a couple of weeks and then they go away.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Amitryptiline usually causes constipation, while paxil, celexa, etc. are likely to cause D. I think most antidepressants have sexual side effects....I know
Sometimes you have to put up with the side effects for a couple of weeks and then they go away.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Response to amitriptyline varies quite a bit from person to person.For me, at a low dosage of less than 20 mg a day, it was a piece of cake that had almost no side effects. It was extremely effective against my IBS symptoms. Later on I realized that elimination of caffeine from my diet was the ultimate solution.Other people may have mild to severe side effects from the same drug. You should note that alcohol consumed with this can produce major drowsiness.I recommend starting at a low dosage and working upward. This means maybe you get 10 mg pills and take more than one per day if necessary. Your doctor should not just drop you onto 60-100 mg a day, or a high dosage of other, similar antidepressants (or antispasmodic drugs like Bentyl for that matter), because of the wide variability of side effects from person to person.JMHO.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Response to amitriptyline varies quite a bit from person to person.For me, at a low dosage of less than 20 mg a day, it was a piece of cake that had almost no side effects. It was extremely effective against my IBS symptoms. Later on I realized that elimination of caffeine from my diet was the ultimate solution.Other people may have mild to severe side effects from the same drug. You should note that alcohol consumed with this can produce major drowsiness.I recommend starting at a low dosage and working upward. This means maybe you get 10 mg pills and take more than one per day if necessary. Your doctor should not just drop you onto 60-100 mg a day, or a high dosage of other, similar antidepressants (or antispasmodic drugs like Bentyl for that matter), because of the wide variability of side effects from person to person.JMHO.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I have IBS D. Nothing worked for me except Remeron. I take 30 mgs. at bedtime. Remeron is NON addictive, and has few side effects (no sexual side effects). It causes constipation, but in my case regulates me.It works like Lotronex - blocking the same 5ht3 receptor.My doctor gives it to a lot of her post-Lotronex takers & it seems to work. I think it is very effective.At first it caused me to be sleepy & gave me low blood sugar. But that went away.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I have IBS D. Nothing worked for me except Remeron. I take 30 mgs. at bedtime. Remeron is NON addictive, and has few side effects (no sexual side effects). It causes constipation, but in my case regulates me.It works like Lotronex - blocking the same 5ht3 receptor.My doctor gives it to a lot of her post-Lotronex takers & it seems to work. I think it is very effective.At first it caused me to be sleepy & gave me low blood sugar. But that went away.

·
Registered
450 Posts
ditto for what Lotronex lover said. Remeron and amtriptyline work about the same way. They both cause weight gain - neither have sexual side effects. My bloos sugar problem has gone away - I have been on 9 monhts

·
Registered
450 Posts
ditto for what Lotronex lover said. Remeron and amtriptyline work about the same way. They both cause weight gain - neither have sexual side effects. My bloos sugar problem has gone away - I have been on 9 monhts

G

·
I tried low-dose Elavil (anitryptiline or however you spell it!) for a while. I just took 10 mg at night. It made me a bit groggy in the am but it did help my gut calm down. However, after about 4 days, the grogginess wore off and guess what?? --so did the gut-calming effect! Aargh! I tried upping to 20 mg but it didn't help. . . So I just quit. I've tried about everything and nothing seems to make much of an impact really. So I just try to eat very carefully, live with chronic D, and take Imodium when I need to if it gets really bad. And that's where I will remain unless something drastic happens.

G

·
I tried low-dose Elavil (anitryptiline or however you spell it!) for a while. I just took 10 mg at night. It made me a bit groggy in the am but it did help my gut calm down. However, after about 4 days, the grogginess wore off and guess what?? --so did the gut-calming effect! Aargh! I tried upping to 20 mg but it didn't help. . . So I just quit. I've tried about everything and nothing seems to make much of an impact really. So I just try to eat very carefully, live with chronic D, and take Imodium when I need to if it gets really bad. And that's where I will remain unless something drastic happens.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.