Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,I am on Lexapro 10mg daily for IBS-D, anxiety, depression. and it does help some. But not good enough, and I belive it causes some GI upset and more D at times. Effexor was too strong as far as side effects for me. It seems my only options left as far as anti-depressants go is Remeron, or a TCA like Elavil or Pamelor. Which would you reccomend trying first for those symptoms I have? I know its trial and error but maybe someone can add some experience. My D is not so much real watery/loose D but rather frequant BM's throughout the day with pain/cramp/spasms afterwards. Also, does Elavil or Pamelor at the IBS doses do anything for depression or anxiety? It seems they are like 1/4 of the dose of their anti-D dose.Thanks for listening and helping with everything on my other posts. I am a 23 year old competitive bodybuilder and really need to get back into the sport and EAT more LOL
thanks guys!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello.I be no means want to keep anyone from trying a medication. What works for some does not for others. However I do want to let you know about a personal expirience with Remeron. My doctor prescribed it for my IBS-D. Not only did it not help...I gained over 30lbs in about 2 1/2 months. I couldn't recgonize myself. I was totally bloated all the time and I could only wear sweat pants. I will never forget waking up one day (and basically all it did was make me sleep) and I didn't know who I was in the mirror. Although this may not have the same effects on you, please be careful with anything. IBS is worse when you bloated.-Jen

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hi! I think medications affect people differently. I've been taking Remeron for the past month and I haven't had any D problems, its actually more constipating. I have had that spastic feeling but not as bad. It has helped my depression but the anxiety stayed about the same. At first you will be very tired on it but it goes away. I had insomnia before, so its really helped. I also gained about 10 pounds but I was underweight from having D all the time. Although its not a cure-all (and I don't think many Anti-depressants are) it has really helped me manage my IBS. I haven't felt (or looked) this good in a long time! By the way I'm only 23!

G

·
I actually hallucinated on Elavil, but surely that wouldn't happen to everyone.Effexor, Serzone and Wellbutrin make me lethargic, apathetic and fat.SSRI's aggravate my IBS and make me jittery.At the moment, I am using self hypnotherapy for relief and so far it works better than any medication I've ever tried.Evie

·
Registered
368 Posts
MDN, I tried Celexa, gave me constant D for like 3 weeks, I also tried Pamelor, which did nothing at all. I would honestly try the Remeron, its really helped me immensly. The first week or so you feel very groggy but it goes away. It also increased my appetite and I was able to eat alot more without any additional stomach upset. The Remeron is slightly constipating for me, but I'm more on the D side, so its been great! I also went from 102 to 110 pounds so far. So, that might help with your body building! Good luck with everything and email me if you have any other questions!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tamgirl- Thanks for the help. Looks like I will try Remeron before Pamelor..whatever my doctor and me can agree on. The Lexapro is a good med its just too bad it has stomach issues..I guess since its pretty much Celexa's same formula.. The girl that I was dating stopped calling because I couldnt 'go out clubbing' with her lately
So hopefully one of the 2 will work. It seems IBS waxes and weans..I have had IBS since I was 13 I am 23 also. From 19-22 I had no problems whatsoever..then after GB surgery..it started up again..guess I need to quiet it back down

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hey MDN, I hope the Remeron helps ya out. It's hard for me to go clubbing with my friends too b/c I can't really drink. It hurts my feelings when they don't ask me b/c they know I'll say no. I also live on Long Island by the way! I'm lucky though, I have a really great boyfriend who understands. Let me know how your doing when you start to take the Remeron ok! Good luck,Tammy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.