Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
HUMAN_MIND:Take heart. Remeron is awesome !! I've been lurking on this board for several years but have never posted since I was reading from work and could not use their computer for personal "stuff". Well, I've leaped into the 80's and finally got the internet at home !!! All of this to say, this is my first post but felt it important enough to make it my first ! I have had IBS ("D" type) for 13 1/2 years. I started on Remeron, among other things, about 3 years ago. Initially, I wanted to eat everything that wasn't nailed down, but that soon passed. It is great for alleviating the urgency in "D" and in many ways too numerous to mention. I might add, I was skeptical at first since my profession (psych therapist) didn't want to believe a psychotropic would affect my gut, but it's great!I'd like to take this opportunity to also thank Eric, LNape and Cookies4Marilyn. I've had personal contact with all of you over the years and you have been three of my best blessings!! Not to mention Mike M. and his tapes!!! Again, be encouraged Human_Mind, Remeron is the best on the market;that's a professional AND personal opinion. Wishing you well!

·
Registered
4 Posts
i've been on remeron for a few weeks now and i've found that it's made me tired and constipated. i'm ibs-d, so i thought the constipating effect would be nice, but it's been more of a burden than i expected. anyone else have this problem?i also missed my dose twice and had d in the morning i assume from withdrawal. i'm unsure whether it's helping much or causing more problems.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This was the fist med my psych doc put me on and I walked into glass doors and I was so spacy I couldn't stay on it but I do have to say it helped the D situation for those of you who can tolerate it.Cindy

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've been on Remeron for months now and I love it. I was underweight and gained 12 pounds on it. I don't have the naseau I used to have every morning and I also eat with more confidence b/c my D has gone away. Even during my period I have no D. Even though its great for IBS, it is still an anti depressant and it sometimes messes with my moods. To me though, to live a half a normal life is worth it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for taking the time to write. My Major IBS problem is 1st: the "URGE" for the toilet and 2nd: Bowel does not empty totaly the first time I GO (sometimes have to go back 2, 3, 4, 5 times in a row. Can not go to far without making sure that there is toilet around. HAs REMERON help anyone with these specifique problems? Thanks again

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for taking the time to write. My Major IBS problem is 1st: the "URGE" for the toilet and 2nd: Bowel does not empty totaly the first time I GO (sometimes have to go back 2, 3, 4, 5 times in a row. Can not go to far without making sure that there is toilet around. HAs REMERON help anyone with these specifique problems? Thanks again

·
Registered
140 Posts
Human_Mind,As I said earlier, the Remeron is profoundly helpful with the urgency. Like you, my biggest symptoms are with urgency and repeat trips to my library. (Might as well be..I get so much reading done in there !!)I should add though, I also take Levsin and Lomotil which pretty much deals with everything as long as I keep my stress level low. That alone is a huge joke if you only knew where I work...as a therapist in a maximum security prison (primarily with the murder, rape and child molest perpetrators). Now, what was I saying about stress? Oh, and did I mention our suite of offices is about a 10 minute walk into the 32 acres of property. This is not a place for urgency.One final suggestion that a fellow therapist recommended to me a couple years ago. When you feel the urge, try your best to fight it by positive self-talk, distraction or whatever it takes to prolong going. IT REALLY WORKS!!! I discovered I had more "holding power" than I thought I had and form some reason, firmer movements; perhaps, from staying in there longer to absorb more water.Now, please don't assume this is a "cure all" and I never thought I'd ever survive that test, but, it sure did change my attitude and confidence.Please be encouraged. Not every day will be a bad day, nor will any day mean a bad week. I've learned we can do this "one day, sometimes one hour, at a time".Best Wishes for a better future !!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Quick question. I have been on Remeron for maybe 2-years. I've been at the 30 mg dose for some time. Needless to say, I was shocked that Remeron was good for the bowels because it hasn't helped me at all. However, I was wondering if there is a "therapeutic" dose of Remeron for IBS? I've made an appointment with my psychiatrist who I have not seen in a while. I will be asking him the same question. But, those of you with positive results from Remeron, what dose are you taking?

·
Registered
984 Posts
I was on Mirtazapine which I think is Remeron. It really helps you get to sleep but I found I was continually tired. My appetite increased and I put on a lot of weight - something I've been trying to do for years! My Dr. decided to try a different anti-depressant, Fluoxetine. When I looked this up on the internet it's Prozac. The side effects from this were not good at all. I'm now back on the Mirtazapine. I still get bouts of urgency with it but at least I can sleep and eat!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Amyhead..I started on 30 mg. daily at bedtime since they did make me really sleepy and my colon problems were far worse in the a.m. than any other time. After about a year, we increased the dose to 45mg. once before bedtime. Remeron is odd in its' distribution dosage, i.e. the higher the dose, the less sedating it is. Many people have taken 60-90 mg.per day but I never wanted to be "THAT" relaxed. Any psychotropic meds may have negative side effects including diarrhea,etc., but in most people, side effects disappear over time if you can wait it out. I've personally experienced a "cocktail" of Remeron (45 mg. HS) and Tranxene (15 mg. t.i.d.), an anti-anxiety drug, make a great combination. I'm not sure I'd want to do this for years and even as a therapist am not into medication use unless it's a way to get to the next positive step of doing other things to reduce stress and/or depression.In any case, I hope that answered your question and can be of some help in your journey.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
By the way, the main reason why I am taking Remeron is for depression. I took for a period of 1 year starting 1 year and 1/2 ago Effexor XR again for depression. Effexor did not help me with my IBS symptoms but help alot with depression and anxiety. This time my doc. put me back on pills but this time I ask him for another kind since I had some sides effect like sweating way too much, sexual libido decreasing very much too, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.