Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing the archives of this forum and it seems like a number of people have had success with this drug. Most of the names weren't familiar to me, so maybe these people are doing well and don't visit this BB much anymore, if at all. I think I may have become too fixated on IBS treatments on the horizon that seem forever out of reach (like cilansetron), and have neglected to try other things already out there that may be of help. So I was wondering, does any one here take Remeron with good results? I would be particularly interested in the dose anyone may be taking, since I have heard that, strangely, certain side effects are actually more pronounced at lower doses. I will be seeing my psychiatrist (a very understanding and compassionate doctor) next week and would like to discuss this with him. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Most of the people who were taking this drug were trying it when Lotronex was pulled from the market. While they are used for different treatments, they are in the same class of drugs. (setrons...and see the setron in cilansetron...the generic name for all this class has setron in it).I know some people had pretty good luck with it, I think some of the popularity of this treatment was tied to the people who tried Lotronex, had that work, then couldn't get it anymore. Since Lotronex is back on the market I don't know how many went back to Lotronex vs stayed on Remeron.K.

·
Registered
545 Posts
If lotronex works for you then I would give remeron a go. The biggest side effect for me was it made me real tired, as in it almost knocked me out. Most people, including myself where taking it before bedtime for that reason. Weight gain was another issue, but its debatable whether its the actual medication, or from people feeling better and therefore eating more.I found it wasnt as good as lotronex, although some people had real good results, with some staying on it even after the return of lotronex.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I know people who have sleeping issues (especially when in conjunction with depression) often take this at bedtime because it can be really good at getting you to sleep and staying asleep, so do not take it during the day, unless you want to sleep the day away
K.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the further info guys. I have never taken Lotronex, so I can't use that as a basis for any possible success with Remeron. I am a male and while I might qualify as having "severe" IBS according to GSK's guidelines (which sound like they could apply to ANYONE with IBS-D), my case is definitely not severe by the standards of this BB by a long shot. If a doctor offered it to me willingly and my insurance company paid, I would try it. I think if patients exercise common sense, the risks are low. I am very much pro-Lotronex and support continued access to it, but it is probably not the drug for me. Just my two cents on that. Also, thanks for the heads up on Remeron's sedating effects and weight gain. I used to take doxepin 100mg (with unspectacular results for IBS symptoms)but had no problems with sedation. Not sure if that will predict how I do on Remeron, though, since they are chemically so different.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've been on Remeron since 2001 and definitely feel that it helps. I started out at only 15mg and continued with that dose until last year. I've been on 30mg since then and can't say that I've noticed a difference. I'll probably be going back down to 15mg so that the withdrawal won't be that bad when I switch to Cilansetron. I get a solid 8 hours of sleep every night, and never feel tired (I take it at night). I tried lotronex when it first came out, and thankfully it didn't help me. I say thankfully, because I'm a guy and wouldn't be able to take it now even if it worked. I'm really hoping that Cilansetron works. I've had IBS for 12 years now, and the most important thing I've learned is that your DIET is the biggest factor in controlling your IBS symptoms. I can't believe that people who have had this condition for 10 years or more still eat fast food on a regular basis. My diet is very limited and excludes half of the stuff mentioned in the Eating for IBS cookbook. If I stick to my strict diet I can live somewhat of a normal life.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Stay Strong,Glad to hear this medicine is helping you somewhat. I've been disappointed by other medications that I've tried (haven't we all?), so I'm not getting my hopes up too much, although I am cautiously optimistic that it will do something.I am also still optimistic about cilansetron, but since it doesn't show any signs of coming out as soon as we had hoped, I am keeping an open mind and willing to try other things.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have been on it since 2001. I love it. I can eat whatever I want except Milk (as I am lactose intolerant.) It acts a little like sudafed night time. YOu must take it before bed and plan on it being a 10 hour time limit from when you take it until you are compeltely 'with it' What I mean by that is I take mine at 7:30 at night - and by 5:30 the next AM - I don'tfeel that drowsy feeling like a col medicine that hasn't worn off yet.I am on 45 mg as supposeldy the higher the dose - the less side effects. I have gained A LOT of weight - more than I ever cared to but I think that depends on the person, the situation etc. I love this drug and I was a severe IBS-D. I highly recommend it - feel free to ask me other questions. P.S. I am female.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks srhackett,I was wondering how long it took for the beneficial effects to kick in for you. I have been on this drug (15mg) for about a week now. I think I may have experienced some improvement (particularly in AM nausea), but I guess it could be a placebo effect. Unfortunately, I got hit with a bad stomach flu two days ago so I will have to wait till that runs its course to see if I get any further improvement. Thanks.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hi Feel free to email me privagtely - sorry I have looked at the board in frequently as I am recovereing from a hysterectomy right now.The pain and diarrhea stopped right away to be quite honest. I had a few 'outer body' expereinces as I was ramping up on the drug - kind of like I felt I was an outsider watching myself do whatever it was I was doing. It was about 3 times - happened in the first 3 weeks and has never happened again.Again, I have gained a lot of weight but have a normal life wiht this. Never had any complications with it at all. I honestly would be afraid to try lotronex or the other new one - knowing me and my luck I would get eh ischemic colitis. Nortriptyline is an older drug but princiapply works the same as Remeron so it is possible that might be an option - not sure about the weight gain but probably highly likely

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again srhackett,I have now been on this drug for close to a month (now 30mg), and I definitely think it is helping, although it is not wonder drug, at least in my case. I will continue to take it I think for the time being until something new comes along.

·
Registered
545 Posts
If you had no relief at all I doubt an increase will help. If you are currently taking remeron you could talk to your doctor about increasing your dose but I wouldnt hold much hope of sudden effect, and since you are taking it for depression I would be concerned about messing with a doseage you are already using.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.