Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After yet another bad bout of IBS-D, and a trip to the ER in which they handed my daughter 2 more Rxs - we came to the conclussion that all these drugs (over 13) are doing very little to help control the pain or diarreah so we decided to go the natural route. It's been 4 yrs w/out gallbladder and on so much med that maybe, just maybe - her body will work better on it's own. It has nothing to loose - nothing is helping now anyway. Any input or suggestions?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Have you tried Caltrate+ or Citracal yet? Citracal has helped me far beyond what any prescription drug has.Biff

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just the relief of being free from medicine and the feeling of being stronger than I used to is a wonderful benefit of quiting medication. I used to take antidepressants, painkillers, gas medicine, Colpermine (mint), more pain killers, diarrhoea medicine, prodium fiber. . .Now I feel much better knowing that I do not need to.I hope that your daughter does well and can say this also.Good luck, Lin------------------Ah, many glorious memories of the past,A bright and full future ahead.Think not of what you do not have,But what you do have and you will have, instead.[This message has been edited by Linmi (edited 04-12-99).]

·
Registered
66 Posts
I take Peppermint oil (2 or 3 before I eat about20 min before) for the pain and I take 1 Fibercon a day for the diarreah. I have the diarreah pretty much taken care of. Oh yeah, have you tryed finding and eliminating her trigger food! That helps SSOO much, mine is dairy and caffeine. I have one more that I can't figure out yet though. Please try the fibercon! I used to go to the bathroom 4 to 6 times a DAY, now I go only once or twice and it's not D! I had forgotten what that was like!!Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Barb -Here are my suggestions for the all natural route. It has worked for me, maybe you can benefit too.First, get some acidophilus with pectin. You can get this at Wal-Mart, Rexall Sundown brand. Follow the instructions for administration.Next, physillum seed husk. You can also find this at Wal-Mart. This is a laxative, but the important part is that it absorps fluid and builds bulky stools. Again, follow the instructions.Last, St John's Wort, perferably with Kava kava. The St. John's can be from .14% - 3% hypericin and kavatones at least 30%. This should lessen anxiety and stress, also a factor with IBS. You can also look for other additives such as Chomomile flower and Valerian root. Both have calming effects.I could make more suggestions, but this should be enough to start. The gallbladder thing is tricky. Hope you are on a low fat diet. If not, you need to be. And actually there is a supplement available that binds fat from absorption available.It may be available from other sources, but I am only familiar with the one for which I distribute for Twinlabs. So, if you go to a health food/herbal store, someone should know.Remember, the natural route takes time. You have to give your body a chance to start healing itself. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.