Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here in austria we have the luck to have a cheap statal assurance. they pay quite a lot, but only very few alternative things. i think they would also pay a bacteriology from the small intestine if i could find a doc who does it.skinny, what other tests would you ask for, if it could get payed by assurance?did you take the antibiotics one after another? docs seem to play roulette with antis. my gi prescribed me a combination in high dose for only 2 days.

·
Registered
399 Posts
brushie,Apart from the colonosopy which turned out to be ok, I would get the lactose, and fructose breath test since gas was my major problem. There is a bacterial culture test, but I forgot what it was called. The doctor takes a sample of bacteria in your small intestine and cultures it.The problem is that scientist don't understand gut bacteria very well. Antibiotics is one of the best ways to get rid of bad bacteria. However it can make your situation worse.I was also interested in Pimentel's Vivonex study. It is an elemental liquid diet that he put his patients on for two weeks. He found that it was a better treatment to get rid of bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine. Vivonex was very expensive, so I went for the antibiotics route.I took antibiotics one after the other. Neomycin sulfate dosage was 500mg 2x day for 10 days. After my bacteria overgrowth returned in a month, I went on doxycyline 3x day for 7 days, amoxicillian 3x day (500mg) for 10 days, metranidazole 3x 500 mgs for 10 days, and finally Biaxin 2x day for 10 days...all that was right after the other.Wish flux was more helpful because he knows a lot about medical tests. He'll give enough clues for you to research on your own and make your informed decision. Perhaps you can try PM or email.skinny

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
skinny,if you get a chance...what was the worst part of the antibiotic program. was there one in particular that may have had a very negative effect on you? such as a nervous disorder?i am glad that it seems to have worked for you.are your bowel move. any bigger than they were prior to antibiotics or smaller?this is a very tough issue --- to take antibiotics or not to take them.if i knew exactly what type of bacteria i had in me --such as the worst 5. i would be able to make a better decision as to what to do.

·
Registered
399 Posts
quote:skinny,if you get a chance...what was the worst part of the antibiotic program. was there one in particular that may have had a very negative effect on you? such as a nervous disorder?
I tolerate medications generally very well. I didn't have any allergic reaction or side effects that would send a red flag to stop the antibiotics. I was very concerned with the possibility of getting a C. difficle infection, but luckily I didn't get it.Neomycin sulfate was harsh at first, but I expected it to be. The worst part was the D which really wasn't that bad. I was running to the bathroom with explosive D 1-2 hours of taking my dose. After day 7, the D stopped. My bacterial infection that was causing a bad reaction to lactose was gone for a month after the neomycin.I embarked on taking a number of broad spectrum antibiotics one after the other. I knew the neomycin got rid of my lactose intolerance, and I wanted to make it go for good.Doxycycline was next - it was gentle. D on the first day, but it was gone the next day. This antibiotic didn't get rid of my bacterial infection.Amoxicillian - From this point on, I didn't get D from taking antibiotics or any bad side effects. Got rid of my LI from day one! Metradizanole - I didn't want to take this because of the horror stories I read on this board, but it was a breeze. The only thing it gave me a coated tongue with a furry like texture. I thought my BMs would return to normal after more antibiotics, but they didn't. I got slight improvement in stool volume.Biaxin - This was gentle on me. My furry tongue went away after this.
quote:i am glad that it seems to have worked for you.
I'm glad I fought my doctors to get these antibiotics. It amazes me how patients can come to their doctor complaining about some minor infection and be given out an antibiotic. When I approached two doctors on this having Pimentel's study, they hemmed and hawed at it.
quote:are your bowel move. any bigger than they were prior to antibiotics or smaller?
BMs now are skinny, clumped, and not well formed. I'm not worried about it because my visceral sensitivity is 90% of the time gone. After taking Slippery Elm, it dramatically reduced the sensitivity. My greatest joy is that I am Lactard Free! One thing I really missed after getting IBS was eating dairy. I consider myself very lucky I am able to enjoy eating dairy again.Now I'm on Ibsacol and I'll see if it helps my stool volume. I'm also using a combination cognitive behavioral therapy, neuro-linguistic programming, and hypnosis (listening to Tony Robbins audio) so I believe that's helping me too.skinny

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.