Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: Nocturnal pain is considered a red flag for consideration of more serious causes other than IBS.Why? My pain is almost exclusively nocturnal, starting about 4 am every morning. I cannot fall back to sleep. As to whether it is the pain waking me up, I cannot honestly say.I certainly dont feel in the least depressed.Thoughts? Any one else here with mostly nocturnal early am pain? Thank you!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi Dougie:In the past, physicians would ask patients who had IBS symptoms whether or not the symptoms disrupted their sleep. It was generally thought that if you had no problems sleeping, you probably have IBS, not something like inflammatory bowel disease. This thinking is generally outdated, because plenty of IBS patients complain of their IBS bothering their sleep and don't suffer with inflammatory bowel disease.Bottom line is, diagnostic tests need to be performed whenever someone is having bowel problems to make a correct diagnosis. ~JR~

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi Dougie:In the past, physicians would ask patients who had IBS symptoms whether or not the symptoms disrupted their sleep. It was generally thought that if you had no problems sleeping, you probably have IBS, not something like inflammatory bowel disease. This thinking is generally outdated, because plenty of IBS patients complain of their IBS bothering their sleep and don't suffer with inflammatory bowel disease.Bottom line is, diagnostic tests need to be performed whenever someone is having bowel problems to make a correct diagnosis. ~JR~

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Its not really outdated that IBS is not likely to wake you up, some people are woken up by it, but its still a red flag, but the majority are not. When you sleep the colon generally shuts down and relaxes.The body does run however on its own time clock and cycles and yours is probaly four am.Jr, is right to have testing done that is imperative for a diagnoses.I would talk to your doctor about IBS and nocturnal symptoms.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Its not really outdated that IBS is not likely to wake you up, some people are woken up by it, but its still a red flag, but the majority are not. When you sleep the colon generally shuts down and relaxes.The body does run however on its own time clock and cycles and yours is probaly four am.Jr, is right to have testing done that is imperative for a diagnoses.I would talk to your doctor about IBS and nocturnal symptoms.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.