Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had IBS for several years. I've tried Modulon for 1 yr, and Dicetel for the past 4 yrs. Neither has made a significant difference in my symptoms. I had a colonoscopy 6 mos ago, and was told my colon is twice as long as it should be, and to stay on Dicetel. The length of the colon is a major cause, with all the bends and kinks in it to accumulate gas. I become very bloated, distended, and have sharp abdominal pain, along with frequent constipation.I'd like to know of any alternatives I can try. I am at wits end trying to lead a normal life without worrying about how to plan around my IBS. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.Thank you!PS Am glad to have found this site, is nice to know I am not suffering alone.

G

·
Extra long colon's can be found in people with no symptoms or people with various symptoms.While surgery may look like an option, it may not correct the problem (esp since there is no way to pinpoint which part of the colon might be having functional problems, which is what IBS is, and which are not...or if the whole thing is...)Does altering your diet help with the constipation (more fiber, generally, but some people have transit problems and need a low-residue diet. www.gicare.com lists a number of diets and has a high fiber and a low fiber option). Fiber + water is what makes stool easy to pass and since you have to pass it along more of the colon this may be more critical for you. Stool softeners, and magnesium supplements (in the USRDA range) may help keep stool easier to pass.For gas-related problems limiting starches other than rice, lactose, raffinose and sorbitol may help. As may taking a probiotic species of bacteria. The first limits the amount you feed the colonic bacteria and the second alters which bacteria you have so you may produce less gas over all (they process carbs/sugars differently than other bacteria so release less gas).K.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.