Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome?If you have a current diagnosis of IBS and have never been diagnosed with panic disorder you are eligible to participate in a University of Pennsylvania research study about the physical sensations and thoughts you experience. All that is required is that you fill out several brief questionnaires, which should take about 15 minutes. You can fill the questionnaires here: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~moshier/test.html

·
Registered
75 Posts
Here you go!---------------------------------------------------------------------------Consent FormThoughts About Gastrointestinal and Other Physical SensationsUniversity of PennsylvaniaPrincipal Investigator:Melissa Hunt, Ph.D.3720 Walnut StreetPhiladelphia, PA 19104Office: 215-898-647824 Hour Emergency: 610-529-8055e-mail: mhunt###psych.upenn.eduInvitation: You are being invited to participate in a psychological research study because you are suffering from: irritable bowel syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease, panic disorder, or none of the above.Purpose: The purpose of this study is to better understand thought patterns that people experience.Procedure: You will be asked to fill out questionnaires about various physical sensations and thoughts, and to provide some demographic information. Because we are not asking for your name or signature, all of your responses will be completely anonymous. However, you may skip any questions that make you uncomfortable.Risks: So far as we know, there are no risks involved in taking part in this study. You may, however, find yourself more aware of your physical sensations or thoughts for a short period of time after completing the questionnaires.Benefits: There are no direct benefits to participation in this study. Compensation: There is no compensation for participating in this study.Confidentiality: All information collected in this study will be kept strictly confidential, except as may be required by law. Your participation in this study is completely voluntary, and you may withdraw at any time, or skip questions you do not wish to answer. If you wish further information regarding your rights as a research subject, you may contact the Director of Regulatory Affairs at the University of Pennsylvania by telephoning 215-898-2614. Upon clicking the Continue button below, you acknowledge that you have read and understood this consent form and that you agree to participate in this research study. By clicking on the link below you are agreeing to take part in this research study. If you have any questions or there is something you do not understand, feel free to contact us by phone or e-mail as listed above. Continue ----------------------------------------------------------------------Demographic and Background Information --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Today's date: Where did you find out about this study? Please specify the message board or website. Your age: under 18 18-25 26-30 30-35 35-40 40-45 46+ What is your marital status? SingleCohabitating Married Divorced WidowedWhat is your sex? Male FemaleWhat is your race?American Indian/Alaskan NativeAsian/Pacific Islander Black, Non-HispanicHispanic/Latino White, Non-Hispanic Other, please specify What is your highest education level? junior high school high schoolcollege- associate degree college- bachelor degree beyond collegeHave you ever been diagnosed with... IBS Crohn's disease Ulcerative colitis Panic Disorder None of the above ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Consequences of Physical Sensations Questionnaire**If the pull-downs do not work, it might mean that you are using an older version of the browser. You can download a newer version by clicking here. If you are having trouble with font size or spacing of this webpage, make sure your text size is set to medium (you can access this by clicking view on the toolbar). --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Please complete the following questionnaire. I appreciate the time you are taking to do this!--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Below are some outline descriptions of situations in which it is not quite clear what is going to happen. Read each one, and then answer the questions below it very briefly. Write down the first thing that comes into your mind without thinking too long about it. Please write down what you think your reaction would be before moving on to the next question. Be as specific as possible.When you have done that, look at the pull-down for the next question, and you will see three possible reactions to the situation. List these in the order in which they would be most likely to come to your mind if you found yourself in a similar situation. So the one that you would consider most likely to be true should come first, and then the one that you would consider least likely to be true should come third. Do not think too long before deciding. We want your first impressions, and do not worry if none of them fits with what you actually did think. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------1. After spending some time outdoors you develop an obvious red rash across your face and neck. How do you react? Please rank the following reactions in the order in which they would be most likely to come to your mind if you found yourself in a similar situation. First look at the following reactions by clicking on the pull-down arrow. a-I’m not worried about it, it’ll probably go away soon. b-I’m slightly concerned; it may be an allergic reaction. I should put some cream on it and take an antihistamine. c-I’ll have to spend a few days at home since everyone is going to stare at me and wonder what’s wrong with me. Now, order them by selecting the first, second, and third reaction that would come to your mind: First a-I’m not worried about it, it’ll probably go away soon. b-I’m slightly concerned; it may be an allergic reaction. I should put some cream on it and take an antihistamine. c-I’ll have to spend a few days at home since everyone is going to stare at me and wonder what’s wrong with me. Second a-I’m not worried about it, it’ll probably go away soon. b-I’m slightly concerned; it may be an allergic reaction. I should put some cream on it and take an antihistamine. c-I’ll have to spend a few days at home since everyone is going to stare at me and wonder what’s wrong with me. Third a-I’m not worried about it, it’ll probably go away soon. b-I’m slightly concerned; it may be an allergic reaction. I should put some cream on it and take an antihistamine. c-I’ll have to spend a few days at home since everyone is going to stare at me and wonder what’s wrong with me. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------2. You wake up on Monday morning and feel a pain in the small of your back. How do you react? Please rank the following reactions in the order in which they would be most likely to come to your mind if you found yourself in a similar situation. First look at the following reactions by clicking on the pull-down arrow. a-I'll take a hot shower and do some stretching exercises before breakfast to limber up. b-I'll make it to work, but I will be uncomfortable and distracted all day. c-I'll have to call in sick and spend all day in bed. My boss will be angry with me. Now, order them by selecting the first, second, and third reaction that would come to your mind: First a-I'll take a hot shower and do some stretching exercises before breakfast to limber up. b-I'll make it to work, but I will be uncomfortable and distracted all day. c-I'll have to call in sick and spend all day in bed. My boss will be angry with me. Second a-I'll take a hot shower and do some stretching exercises before breakfast to limber up. b-I'll make it to work, but I will be uncomfortable and distracted all day. c-I'll have to call in sick and spend all day in bed. My boss will be angry with me. Third a-I'll take a hot shower and do some stretching exercises before breakfast to limber up. b-I'll make it to work, but I will be uncomfortable and distracted all day. c-I'll have to call in sick and spend all day in bed. My boss will be angry with me. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------3. You're about to go away for a long weekend when you find a lump under the skin in your neck. How do you react? Please rank the following reactions in the order in which they would be most likely to come to your mind if you found yourself in a similar situation. First look at the following reactions by clicking on the pull-down arrow. a-My immune system is hard at work fending off a cold virus. I'll be fine. b-I'm probably getting a bad cold and won't have much fun during the weekend. c-This lump may mean something is seriously wrong with me. I should cancel the weekend and get to the doctor right away. Now, order them by selecting the first, second, and third reaction that would come to your mind: First a-My immune system is hard at work fending off a cold virus. I'll be fine. b-I'm probably getting a bad cold and won't have much fun during the weekend. c-This lump may mean something is seriously wrong with me. I should cancel the weekend and get to the doctor right away. Second a-My immune system is hard at work fending off a cold virus. I'll be fine. b-I'm probably getting a bad cold and won't have much fun during the weekend. c-This lump may mean something is seriously wrong with me. I should cancel the weekend and get to the doctor right away. Third a-My immune system is hard at work fending off a cold virus. I'll be fine. b-I'm probably getting a bad cold and won't have much fun during the weekend. c-This lump may mean something is seriously wrong with me. I should cancel the weekend and get to the doctor right away. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------4. You're getting ready for a dinner date when you realize you have a painful cold sore developing on your lip. How do you react? Please rank the following reactions in the order in which they would be most likely to come to your mind if you found yourself in a similar situation. First look at the following reactions by clicking on the pull-down arrow. a-It doesn't make any difference. My date won't care. b-I'll have to avoid kissing my date, which is too bad, but it's not that big of a deal. c-I should cancel the dinner and stay home or my date will be disgusted and turned off. Now, order them by selecting the first, second, and third reaction that would come to your mind: First a-It doesn't make any difference. My date won't care. b-I'll have to avoid kissing my date, which is too bad, but it's not that big of a deal. c-I should cancel the dinner and stay home or my date will be disgusted and turned off. Second a-It doesn't make any difference. My date won't care. b-I'll have to avoid kissing my date, which is too bad, but it's not that big of a deal. c-I should cancel the dinner and stay home or my date will be disgusted and turned off. Third a-It doesn't make any difference. My date won't care. b-I'll have to avoid kissing my date, which is too bad, but it's not that big of a deal. c-I should cancel the dinner and stay home or my date will be disgusted and turned off. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------5. You are making a presentation at work to a small group of people, including your boss. You suddenly feel yourself getting a hot, flushed feeling and are sure your ears and face are turning red. How do you react? Please rank the following reactions in the order in which they would be most likely to come to your mind if you found yourself in a similar situation. First look at the following reactions by clicking on the pull-down arrow. a-I just ignore it and forge ahead. It's not that big of deal. b-I am embarrassed, but I make a joke about it, take a sip of water, and press on. Everyone finds public speaking stressful. c-I get flustered and freeze. I must look incredibly stupid and incompetent. Everyone will wonder what's wrong with me. Now, order them by selecting the first, second, and third reaction that would come to your mind: First a-I just ignore it and forge ahead. It's not that big of deal. b-I am embarrassed, but I make a joke about it, take a sip of water, and press on. Everyone finds public speaking stressful. c-I get flustered and freeze. I must look incredibly stupid and incompetent. Everyone will wonder what's wrong with me. Second a-I just ignore it and forge ahead. It's not that big of deal. b-I am embarrassed, but I make a joke about it, take a sip of water, and press on. Everyone finds public speaking stressful. c-I get flustered and freeze. I must look incredibly stupid and incompetent. Everyone will wonder what's wrong with me. Third a-I just ignore it and forge ahead. It's not that big of deal. b-I am embarrassed, but I make a joke about it, take a sip of water, and press on. Everyone finds public speaking stressful. c-I get flustered and freeze. I must look incredibly stupid and incompetent. Everyone will wonder what's wrong with me. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------6. You're watching a scary movie with a group of friends when your chest begins to feel uncomfortable and tight, and your heart starts beating rapidly. How do you react? Please rank the following reactions in the order in which they would be most likely to come to your mind if you found yourself in a similar situation. First look at the following reactions by clicking on the pull-down arrow. a-Not at all - it just means it was an awesome horror movie that really got me going. b-It'll be hard to focus on the plot of the movie, because I'll be thinking about my heart. c-I'll have to leave the movie immediately and go out to the lobby to try to calm down and get a grip. My friends will think I'm weird and I'll be really embarrassed. Now, order them by selecting the first, second, and third reaction that would come to your mind: First a-Not at all - it just means it was an awesome horror movie that really got me going. b-It'll be hard to focus on the plot of the movie, because I'll be thinking about my heart. c-I'll have to leave the movie immediately and go out to the lobby to try to calm down and get a grip. My friends will think I'm weird and I'll be really embarrassed. Second a-Not at all - it just means it was an awesome horror movie that really got me going. b-It'll be hard to focus on the plot of the movie, because I'll be thinking about my heart. c-I'll have to leave the movie immediately and go out to the lobby to try to calm down and get a grip. My friends will think I'm weird and I'll be really embarrassed. Third a-Not at all - it just means it was an awesome horror movie that really got me going. b-It'll be hard to focus on the plot of the movie, because I'll be thinking about my heart. c-I'll have to leave the movie immediately and go out to the lobby to try to calm down and get a grip. My friends will think I'm weird and I'll be really embarrassed. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------7. You're walking really fast to catch the bus when you suddenly start to feel short of breath, lightheaded, and dizzy. How do you react? Please rank the following reactionss in the order in which they would be most likely to come to your mind if you found yourself in a similar situation. First look at the following reactions by clicking on the pull-down arrow. a-I need to get on this bus so I'll ignore it. I'll be able to sit down on the bus. b-I realize I"m out of shape. I'll stop to catch my breath, but I'll be late beacause I'll have to catch the next bus. c-I can't catch my breath, and I'm worried that there's something really wrong with me. I have to ask a stranger to call for help so I can get to the ER immediately. Now, order them by selecting the first, second, and third reaction that would come to your mind: First a-I need to get on this bus so I'll ignore it. I'll be able to sit down on the bus. b-I realize I"m out of shape. I'll stop to catch my breath, but I'll be late beacause I'll have to catch the next bus. c-I can't catch my breath, and I'm worried that there's something really wrong with me. I have to ask a stranger to call for help so I can get to the ER immediately. Second a-I need to get on this bus so I'll ignore it. I'll be able to sit down on the bus. b-I realize I"m out of shape. I'll stop to catch my breath, but I'll be late beacause I'll have to catch the next bus. c-I can't catch my breath, and I'm worried that there's something really wrong with me. I have to ask a stranger to call for help so I can get to the ER immediately. Third a-I need to get on this bus so I'll ignore it. I'll be able to sit down on the bus. b-I realize I"m out of shape. I'll stop to catch my breath, but I'll be late beacause I'll have to catch the next bus. c-I can't catch my breath, and I'm worried that there's something really wrong with me. I have to ask a stranger to call for help so I can get to the ER immediately. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------8. Your are meeting some co-workers for lunch on a warm day. When you go to the restaurant, you realize your clothes are beginning to stick to you because you are sweating so much. How do you react? Please rank the following reactions in the order in which they would be most likely to come to your mind if you found yourself in a similar situation. First look at the following reactions by clicking on the pull-down arrow. a-I don't let this affect me. Since it's a warm day everyone is going to be sweating a bit. b-I'm annoyed because I don't look my best. c-I'm upset and embarrassed because I'll stink and look gross, and people will be disgusted by me. Now, order them by selecting the first, second, and third reaction that would come to your mind: First a-I don't let this affect me. Since it's a warm day everyone is going to be sweating a bit. b-I'm annoyed because I don't look my best. c-I'm upset and embarrassed because I'll stink and look gross, and people will be disgusted by me. Second a-I don't let this affect me. Since it's a warm day everyone is going to be sweating a bit. b-I'm annoyed because I don't look my best. c-I'm upset and embarrassed because I'll stink and look gross, and people will be disgusted by me. Third a-I don't let this affect me. Since it's a warm day everyone is going to be sweating a bit. b-I'm annoyed because I don't look my best. c-I'm upset and embarrassed because I'll stink and look gross, and people will be disgusted by me. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------9. You are ready to give a big presentation when you begin to feel your stomach churning. How do you react? Please rank the following reactions in the order in which they would be most likely to come to your mind if you found yourself in a similar situation. First look at the following reactions by clicking on the pull-down arrow. a-It's just normal butterflies. I'll ignore it and begin the presentation. b-I'll make it through the presentation, but I'll be distracted and uncomfortable through the whole thing, and may not do my best. c-I start to feel really panicky because I know my IBS will begin to act up during the presentation. I debate whether to rush through the presentation, or simply tell my boss I am too ill to do it. Now, order them by selecting the first, second, and third reaction that would come to your mind: First a-It's just normal butterflies. I'll ignore it and begin the presentation. b-I'll make it through the presentation, but I'll be distracted and uncomfortable through the whole thing, and may not do my best. c-I start to feel really panicky because I know my IBS will begin to act up during the presentation. I debate whether to rush through the presentation, or simply tell my boss I am too ill to do it. Second a-It's just normal butterflies. I'll ignore it and begin the presentation. b-I'll make it through the presentation, but I'll be distracted and uncomfortable through the whole thing, and may not do my best. c-I start to feel really panicky because I know my IBS will begin to act up during the presentation. I debate whether to rush through the presentation, or simply tell my boss I am too ill to do it. Third a-It's just normal butterflies. I'll ignore it and begin the presentation. b-I'll make it through the presentation, but I'll be distracted and uncomfortable through the whole thing, and may not do my best. c-I start to feel really panicky because I know my IBS will begin to act up during the presentation. I debate whether to rush through the presentation, or simply tell my boss I am too ill to do it. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------10. You suddenly feel a strong urge to move your bowels during a party at someone's house where there is only one bathroom. It feels like you might have diarrhea. How do you react? Please rank the following reactions in the order in which they would be most likely to come to your mind if you found yourself in a similar situation. First look at the following reactions by clicking on the pull-down arrow. a-I just use the bathroom, spray some deodorizer, and return to the party. b-I'm annoyed that my IBS is acting up and I'll miss out on some of the party because I'll be stuck in the bathroom. c-I'm mortified because after I use the bathroom it will stink, and everyone will know I had diarrhea and be disgusted by me. Now, order them by selecting the first, second, and third reaction that would come to your mind: First a-I just use the bathroom, spray some deodorizer, and return to the party. b-I'm annoyed that my IBS is acting up and I'll miss out on some of the party because I'll be stuck in the bathroom. c-I'm mortified because after I use the bathroom it will stink, and everyone will know I had diarrhea and be disgusted by me. Second a-I just use the bathroom, spray some deodorizer, and return to the party. b-I'm annoyed that my IBS is acting up and I'll miss out on some of the party because I'll be stuck in the bathroom. c-I'm mortified because after I use the bathroom it will stink, and everyone will know I had diarrhea and be disgusted by me. Third a-I just use the bathroom, spray some deodorizer, and return to the party. b-I'm annoyed that my IBS is acting up and I'll miss out on some of the party because I'll be stuck in the bathroom. c-I'm mortified because after I use the bathroom it will stink, and everyone will know I had diarrhea and be disgusted by me. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------11. You just had a nice dinner with a date and now you feel nauseous, gassy and as if you need to burp constantly. How do you react? Please rank the following reactions in the order in which they would be most likely to come to your mind if you found yourself in a similar situation. First look at the following reactions by clicking on the pull-down arrow. a-It's no big deal. I'll just suggest that we go for a walk so I have time to digest. b-I'm annoyed that I can't just relax and enjoy coffee and dessert, but my date will understand that something didn't agree with me. c-I'm embarrassed and have to excuse myself and call it an early night. My date probably thinks I'm pathetic. Now, order them by selecting the first, second, and third reaction that would come to your mind: First a-It's no big deal. I'll just suggest that we go for a walk so I have time to digest. b-I'm annoyed that I can't just relax and enjoy coffee and dessert, but my date will understand that something didn't agree with me. c-I'm embarrassed and have to excuse myself and call it an early night. My date probably thinks I'm pathetic. Second a-It's no big deal. I'll just suggest that we go for a walk so I have time to digest. b-I'm annoyed that I can't just relax and enjoy coffee and dessert, but my date will understand that something didn't agree with me. c-I'm embarrassed and have to excuse myself and call it an early night. My date probably thinks I'm pathetic. Third a-It's no big deal. I'll just suggest that we go for a walk so I have time to digest. b-I'm annoyed that I can't just relax and enjoy coffee and dessert, but my date will understand that something didn't agree with me. c-I'm embarrassed and have to excuse myself and call it an early night. My date probably thinks I'm pathetic. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------12. You feel constipated after eating a lot of pasta. You have an urge to defecate, but it feels like you can't get it all out. How do you react? Please rank the following reactions in the order in which they would be most likely to come to your mind if you found yourself in a similar situation. First look at the following reactions by clicking on the pull-down arrow. a-I'll just increase my fiber intake tomorrow and the problem will resolve itself. b-I become frustrated because pasta has never triggered my IBS before. Now I will have to add pasta to the long list of foods I can no longer eat. c-This is awful - I'll be in and out of the bathroom constantly, and I worry that the straining will cause serious damage and aggravate my IBS symptoms terribly. Now, order them by selecting the first, second, and third reaction that would come to your mind: First a-I'll just increase my fiber intake tomorrow and the problem will resolve itself. b-I become frustrated because pasta has never triggered my IBS before. Now I will have to add pasta to the long list of foods I can no longer eat. c-This is awful - I'll be in and out of the bathroom constantly, and I worry that the straining will cause serious damage and aggravate my IBS symptoms terribly. Second a-I'll just increase my fiber intake tomorrow and the problem will resolve itself. b-I become frustrated because pasta has never triggered my IBS before. Now I will have to add pasta to the long list of foods I can no longer eat. c-This is awful - I'll be in and out of the bathroom constantly, and I worry that the straining will cause serious damage and aggravate my IBS symptoms terribly. Third a-I'll just increase my fiber intake tomorrow and the problem will resolve itself. b-I become frustrated because pasta has never triggered my IBS before. Now I will have to add pasta to the long list of foods I can no longer eat. c-This is awful - I'll be in and out of the bathroom constantly, and I worry that the straining will cause serious damage and aggravate my IBS symptoms terribly. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------ASIClick on the one number that best represents the extent to which you agree with the item. if any of the items concern something that is not part of your experience (e.g., "It scares me when I feel shaky" for someone who has never trembled or had the "shakes"), answer on the basis of how you might feel if you had such an experience. Otherwise, answer all the items on the basis of your own experience.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Very Little A little Some Much Very Much 0 1 2 3 4 0 1 2 3 41. It is important to me not to appear nervous. 2. When I cannot keep my mind on a task, I worry that I might be going crazy. 3.It scares me when I feel “shaky” (trembling). 4. It scares me when I feel like I will faint. 5. It is important to me to stay in control of my emotions. 6. It scares me when my heart beats rapidly. 7. It embarrasses me when my stomach growls. 8. It scares me when I am nauseous. 9. When I notice that my heart is beating rapidly, I worry that I might have a heart attack. 10. It scares me when I am short of breath. Very Little A little Some Much Very Much 0 1 2 3 4 0 1 2 3 411. When my stomach is upset, I worry that I might be seriously ill. 12. It scares me when I am unable to keep my mind on a task. 13. Other people notice when I feel shaky. 14. Unusual body sensations scare me. 15. When I am nervous, I worry that I might be mentally ill. 16. It scares me when I am nervous. 17. If I feel a stomach cramp, I worry about finding a bathroom 18. It scares me that my bowel habits are not regular 19. I am scared certain foods will upset my stomach. 20. When I am nervous, I am afraid to eat. 21. I worry that I do not completely empty my bowels when I go to the bathroom. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------GSRS-IBSBelow are a list of questions about your bowel habits. Please read each one carefully. Using the scale below, select the number to the right which best answers each question. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- No Discomfort at All Minor Discomfort Mild Discomfort Moderate Discomfort Moderately Severe Discomfort Severe Discomfort Very Severe Discomfort 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 71. Have you been bothered by abdominal pain during the past week? 2. Have you been bothered by pain or discomfort in your abdomen, relieved by a bowel action during the past week? 3. Have you been bothered by a feeling of bloating during the past week? 4. Have you been bothered by passing gas during the past week? 5. Have you been bothered by constipation (problems emptying the bowel) during the past week? 6. Have you been bothered by diarrhea (frequent bowel movements) during the past week? 7. Have you been bothered by loose bowel movements during the past week? 8. Have you been bothered by hard stools during the past week? 9. Have you been bothered by an urgent need to have a bowel movement (need to go to the toilet urgently to empty the bowel) during the past week? No Discomfort at All Minor Discomfort Mild Discomfort Moderate Discomfort Moderately Severe Discomfort Severe Discomfort Very Severe Discomfort 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 710. Have you been bothered by a feeling that your bowel was not completely emptied after having a bowel movement during the past week? 11. Have you been bothered by feeling full shortly after you have started a meal during the past week? 12. Have you been bothered by feeling full even long after you have stopped eating during the past week? 13. Have you been bothered by visible swelling of your abdomen during the past week? 14. Have you been bothered by passage of mucus during a bowel movement during the past week? 15. Have you been bothered by fewer than three bowel movements this past week? 16. Have you been bothered by straining during a bowel movement during the past week? 17. Have you been bothered by more than three bowel movements a day this past week? 18. Have you been bothered by nausea during the past week? 19. Have you been bothered by burping during the past week? 20. Have you been bothered by indigestion during the past week?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I took it early this morning. No big deal. Yes interesting to how we IBSers react. No personal questions, name, phone #, emali address. SO okay

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.