Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have started a food diary since my fri night trip to er. becuase i have history of divertiuvlitis my dr. told me to go fri night b/c was having low left side pain.... anyhow, bloodwork ruled out infection and then by next day the pain was gone. I have noticed a pattern that almost always when i have thelow left side stuff I have eaten at a restaurant within the past 24 hours.....have any of you guys noticed such a thing and if this is true what is in the food taht is triggering the pain??? Kathleen, any suggestions??????????lori

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Restaurant meals, in general, are larger and fattier than anything you make at home. Even when it is "the same thing" they will add more fat to what the broil or in the sauces and stuff like that and usually use full fat versions of everything they add to the food.Sometimes there is a preservative on the salads or other raw foods that bother people as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have noticed a severe flare up of symptoms following restaurant foods, too. I have heard that it is because of the increased fats and portion sizes, which I believe, but I have never eaten an entire meal from a restaurant (always take at least half home in a doggie bag, but ironically I never get around to eating it for lunch the next day because by then I am in so much pain...but, my kids are happy because then they get to eat it!) I have wondered about MSG, lots of restaurants use it and a friend ordered her chinese food without MSG, saying to me that she is allergic to it, it makes her vomit) I have also heard people order their foods with no lettuce, their explanation being that the rinsing agent, that restaurants use, makes them sick. It often takes me an entire day, at least to recover, but I am a slow learner, I guess...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts