Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just had an ano-rectal manometry and was told that I have increaed pressure and decreased sensation due to nerve damage. I was wondering if anyone else has had similar results. I am also wondering what the nerve damage could be a result of. I am still waiting to talk to the doctor to get more detal on the results. If anyone can share, please do. Thanks.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel like I am not getting a clear answer from my Dr. He told me that I had increased valve pressure and that when I am supposed to release, I squeeze instead. He recommended rectal biofeedback, which I will soon try. Were your results similar? What did you do to make it better?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi NicoleWhat I think you mean by increase pressure is that there is as increase in your resting pressures That measures your rectal pressure, upper anal canal and lower anal canal for each area there are certain normal values. So are they all abnormal or just some. The sensation is when they test your sensation at minimal and maximal levles. Once again you should be able to feel a sensation at certain times. When they were filling the baloon up with water you should have had a first senation with in a small amount of volume then there is a normal maximum tolerance where you could not take anymore water. So there it sounds like you don't feel sensations on the small end of the scale which could mean that you need a lot of stool to be present in your rectum in order to feel like you have to poop. Since you don't feel it until your retum is full now the stool that has been sitting in there is harder and also larger which makes it difficult to pass.You should just ask your doctor to explain ti in plain english. Are your muscles contracting and relaxing at different times, are they not contracting and relaxing at long enough intervals. Is the sensation problem a factor of this "nerve damage" ect. He/She should be able to tell in in basic terms what all the technical jargon means and how it relates to your problem. The biofeedback is just like the manomerty. They pt a plug or ballon in you and they ask you to push it out and to hold it in. Each time you do that you see the muscle contractions on a screen and they tell you where you need to get the muscle waves to. This way you can see where they need to be and associate that with how it feels to be completed relaxed and how it should feel when you push. Its just using the screen and the muscular waves to interpret how thing should actually feel. Kind of like hand eye coordination on a different level.Along with this test you should have a defogography to make should your pelvic muscles are also contracting and relaxing properly. If they are not then just doing biofeedback is not going to solve the problem. I hope this info helped you and did not further confuse you. Best of luckAlison

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
I am in the same boat as you. I have to discuss my results with a doc yet. This was the result"Patient has slightly weak resting sphincter tone, but clearly has weak squeeze sphinccter tone indicatind some impairment of anal sphincter. The reflex responses were quite weak indicating some overall weakness of the pelvic floor. The reflex responses were normal and patient does appear to have normal rectal capacity. it is unclear why patient was unable to tolerate significant amounts of saline infusion, but the weak sphincter pressure may have contributed to this, but she clearly does not have any neuropathy.Thus there is weakness of the voluntary sphincter muscle, but involuntary muscle appears to be intact."I too will be trying biofeedback after my meeting with the doc if he approves unless he suggests further tests.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you both for your help. I am not thrilled with the Dr. I am seeing and hope find a better one soon that can explain this to me better. I will keep you posted. I am just wishing a doctor would take charge here. I am so tured of recommending tests to my doctor, I thought that was his job...

·
Registered
2 Posts
My (ex)doctor referred me for three tests: colonoscopy, a motility test and a test that sounds like what you describe as anorectal mamography but mine was not called that. The first two came back with normal results. During the last test, the technician said she thought she knew what my problem was. Abnormal muscle contraction: no wonder I am constipated all the time. When my muscle should be relaxing, it tenses up - spiked off the graph! When I went to see the doctor, he simply said I had IBS and then he dished me! I begged, with tears running down my face, to tell me what to do. All he said was, "relax the muscle." Well, if I knew how to do that and could do that, you can bet I would! However..... I'm left with no clue, no biofeedback and no doctor! Does anyone know how to do this without the help of biofeedback?tea42

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have an apt. next week with another doctor that will hopefully find a biofeedback technician for me to go to. Let me know how it works out for you. I believe my squeeze mechanism is off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts