Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HiI went to see my consultant last week.He took 2 samples of my stomach when he did an endoscope. He said on one I had Bile deposits on one, so this may have cause my Gastritis.. Bile reflux.I'm on Lansoprazole 60mg, which I have had terrible side effects from, so dropped to 30mg, and Antepsin to coat the stomach lining and help heal the stomach.Anyone been on these tablets?... or had bile reflux?Fiona

·
Registered
36 Posts
What were the side effects? I had a bad reaction to Kapidex, a PPI I was on for gastritis. It felt like asthma, which I've never had before. Quitting coffee healed my stomach without the PPI.Anyway, bile reflux is tricky. Were you taking any supplements leading up to the diagnosis? B-complexes, for instance, can cause high bile acid, and things like milk thistle, dandelion, curcumin (turmeric) cause the liver to produce more bile, which might contribute to your problem. Do a search for "bile reflux" and "xanax." Many doctors treat bile reflux as a nerve problem with some success using xanax. Heck, you might just need an extra couple hundred milligrams of magnesium a day.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hithe side effects were sore throat,and feel #### all day. tired..30mg not as bad.No I havnt been taking an extra vits, glad you mentioned it thou, I was going to start to take some of these.Why do you say extra magnesium per day? will that help with bile reflux?Fiona

·
Registered
36 Posts
I suggested magnesium because it's nature's xanax. I mean, it's not the same thing as xanax, but it's useful for when you're anxious or stressed, conditions which cause the body to excrete more magnesium than normal and which also contribute to duodenal-gastric reflux (bile reflux). Most people could benefit from a little extra magnesium anyway, unless they're drinking water from a well and eating vegetables grown from virgin soil in an unpolluted forest somewhere. Talk to the doc about magnesium and gastritis, though. Some forms of magnesium can upset your stomach. And avoid magnesium oxide, which barely gets absorbed at all (Which is why it's a decent laxative).

·
Prolific Member, iSupportIBS
470 Posts
Fiona - have you tried Questran? I believe the bile binds to it so the bile is excreted from the body.

·
Registered
36 Posts
many thanks for that. Are you in the UK?Did you have Bile reflux?
I didn't get that diagnosis, but the doc says that a little bile reflux could have exacerbated my problem. I had gastritis. The slight pain from the gastritis went away while I was on kapidex and hasn't returned.And no, I don't live in the UK, but I have friends who do and assure me the food is actually good.

·
Prolific Member, iSupportIBS
470 Posts
Thanks foryou posts.Jack - what is kapidex?idkwia - Where doe you get Questran from?Fiona
Fiona - if you Google Questran you can learn a lot more about it. They give it to people often who have had their gallbladder removed in order to 'mop up' the excess bile.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts