Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear everyone:Hope you don't mind me jumping into your forum again after some while. I'm a long term (30 years) sufferer with IBS D and have tried almost everything! Also, spent much $/£ with many gastroenterologists and dieticians and hypnotherapists. My latest 'trial' is with pancreatic enzymes. Any comments? Or is there anything really new out there that I may not be aware of?Appreciate any new suggestions.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Pancreatic enzymes as far as I know are mostly proven to help with bloating more than other symptoms.Have you tried bile binding agents for the diarrhea (Questran?) they aren't that new, but some people haven't heard of them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wanted to add some comments that may be helpful to others. I am finding an 'almost' fat free diet is helping a lot! There is a suggestion (medically inspired) that IBS D is as a result of malabsorption of fat. I'm not qualified to suggest that this is right or wrong. All I can confirm is that by restricting my intake of fat I am considerably improved. Far more so than by taking nortryptiline, questran, buscopan, align, etc.I still take imodium 2mg twice daily and have recently started to take apple cider vinegar.But I can report a huge improvement, the best in the thirty years I have suffered with the syndrome.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Crikey! 30 years of IBS - have you had symptoms most days? Poor you if so! Interesting about cutting out the 'fat' in your diet - does this mean it cuts down the episodes of diarrhoea?How many years have you been taking 2mg loperamide? I've been taking it for about 3 years now, am always worried that my system will get reliant on it, do you have any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your reply, Friday.I have learnt how to manage my IBS over the years since diagnosis. Surprisingly I have enjoyed a successful career and a happy life. But both would have been more successful and happier without this dreadful, time wasting affliction! The most difficult aspect of IBS D for me is to manage the post prandial issues, but with the use of imodium I have mostly succeeded.I have been taking imodium, with the agreement of my gastroenterologist, for many years. Just two a day. By the way, I came across the 'fat' connection via the work of a MD in Maryland (Mary Money). You might also like to note that the London Clinic, UK is now recommending a fructose free diet researched in Australia/New Zealand.As I said, I seem to be having, for the first time in ages, success by controlling my intake of fatty foods. IBS seems to be very personal. One has to try, try and try again! One day, maybe, someone will sort it out!Best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.