Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey,

does anyone know why puffed rice and rice crisps cereals come up as having moderate/high fodmaps in the Monash Fodmap app? Is it some ingredient in addition to the the rice in these cereals or is it the changed structure of the rice that increases the oligos content. There is no explanation in the app, unfortunately. Also confusing is why so many sites list Rice Krispies as low fodmap, even the Monash University site, http://www.med.monash.edu/cecs/gastro/fodmap/diet.html.

Thanks

·
Registered
842 Posts
Most of these apps and diet lists are totally flawed. Use a scientific understanding of what a FODMAP is to form your diet choices and don't rely on the lists.

·
Registered
214 Posts
As the above poster said, it will vary by person. I don't do well with regular cooked rice, but I eat rice cakes regularly and they don't make my symptoms any worse.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have tried eating rice krispies as a 'safe' food free of fodmaps, but I have found them to be VERY aggravating. They're as bad as any of the worst fodmap foods. But regular cooked rice is fine. I haven't tried rice cakes.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks very much for this! I’m just starting on a FODMAP elimination diet and was wondering how rice could be OK and puffed rice not. The link is super helpful!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts