Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have had bouts of IBS in the past, but the symptoms I am having, at this time, is somewhat different. About 3 weeks ago, I had pretty intense pain that started at my belly button, then over to the right and down to the lower right side of my abdomen. After 4 days, the pain subsided, but there is still some pain in all of that area. I did go to my Dr. and he checked for a hernia, appendix, etc. and he didn't find anything. I met with my OBGYN. They did an exam and felt a thickening on my right side. They immediately set-up a pelvic ultrasound, to rule out any problems with my ovary and everything checked out fine. They said that I had a lot of fullness / activity in the area of my bowel and suggested that I increase my fiber intake. My digestive system has been disrupted due to a lot of stress with my father being recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Previously, my diet had been good. I joined Weight Watchers and have had great success with weight loss, but since my father's diagnosis, my diet has changed a lot and I have been stressed. Has there been anyone else that has had similar symptoms? After I have a bowel movement, it really doesn't affect how the pain feels in my side. I am also tired, but that may be attributed to stress. I would appreciate hearing from anyone. Thanks!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Stress like you are under with your Dad's illness commonly makes IBS worse.IBS can cause pain on the right side (anywhere the colon is) even if people believe the left is a lot more common (more common doesn't mean the only thing that can happen). The pain generated from the rectum is usually what subsides after a BM, not pain in all reaches of the colon.Sounds like they've checked you out pretty well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kathleen: Thank you for your message. I know that IBS has multiple symptoms, but it is reassuring to hear from someone that may have been experiencing similar symptoms. I hope that you are doing well and are feeling o.k. Stress has a funny way of affecting people differently. Thanks again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi! I also wanted to ask if anyone notices discomfort sometimes in the way you sit or stand? Sometimes I notice discomfort in sitting and standing positions, but I don't know if it is associated to IBS or not? I would appreciate some input. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am so encouraged (in a non weird way!) that other people have the same pains as me as I am going crazy!!This is my story - any help welcomed greatly!!* Diagnosed with IBS in 2005 and suffered on and off with stomach stuff, have had various scans etc - all clear* Cut out gluten and dairy in May 2009 and felt better* Nearly 2 weeks ago began having discomfort and pain in my right side - generally all over the right side but then localised at my lower right groin and in appendix area.* Feels windy and uncomfortable and is worse after EVERYTHING I eat
*EXTREMELY bloated all the time* Dr said unlikely to be appendix but I AM WORRIED!!!* The pain/discomfort hasn't gone and I am now getting wind/discomfort in my upper abdomen too.* Bloated stomach and a lot of gas.Am I right to worry that the pain etc hasn't gone? I still have a good appetite and the only other issues I have are frequent urniation and feeling tired. Also my skin has gone bad (acne but I'm 26!)Could it be appendicitis? I read that you can't pass wind with that but I can pass wind? Is it normal for IBS pain etc to last for over a week??Please help as I am going crazy with worry and paranoia about what could be! Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am so encouraged (in a non weird way!) that other people have the same pains as me as I am going crazy!!This is my story - any help welcomed greatly!!* Diagnosed with IBS in 2005 and suffered on and off with stomach stuff, have had various scans etc - all clear* Cut out gluten and dairy in May 2009 and felt better* Nearly 2 weeks ago began having discomfort and pain in my right side - generally all over the right side but then localised at my lower right groin and in appendix area.* Feels windy and uncomfortable and is worse after EVERYTHING I eat
*EXTREMELY bloated all the time* Dr said unlikely to be appendix but I AM WORRIED!!!* The pain/discomfort hasn't gone and I am now getting wind/discomfort in my upper abdomen too.* Bloated stomach and a lot of gas.Am I right to worry that the pain etc hasn't gone? I still have a good appetite and the only other issues I have are frequent urniation and feeling tired. Also my skin has gone bad (acne but I'm 26!)Could it be appendicitis? I read that you can't pass wind with that but I can pass wind? Is it normal for IBS pain etc to last for over a week??Please help as I am going crazy with worry and paranoia about what could be! Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi! I can say that today I am actually starting to feel some better. I did wake in the night last night with some pretty strong pain but after I got up it hasn't been bad. Other than I can feel some discomfort when I sit or stand a certain way. I did increase my fiber intake, per my OBGYN advice. I always eat 1/2 of a Yoplait Yogurt and then fill the container with All Bran and eat it. Since my OBGYN suggested that I increase my fiber I have added an additional serving of All Bran in the mid- to late afternoon. I am using approximately 3/4 cup of All Bran with milk. I am going to keep this up until all / most symptoms are gone. I sure hope it works because like a lot of other people, my mind imagines the worse. My father is going through cancer treatment right now and I am his primary contact for getting him to his daily appointments. I don't mind at all and I am grateful that I am available to take him, but we have been averaging over 2 hours a day in a car and I'm thinking this may be a contributing factor also. I have also been a lot more active the last two days. I am getting outside and doing manual tasks. I also wanted to ask, does the color of your urine change color? My can go from clear to yellow to clear throughout the day. I'm just curious to know if this is a symptom of IBS. Thanks again and the best of luck to you!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
IBS pain can last from a few minutes to a few decades.When I had a severe bout I had pain every day all day for over 6 months without any relief (well other than the 36 hours with a virus, and the constant diarrhea was almost worth the not having pain for a day and a half
)

·
Registered
7 Posts
IBS pain can last from a few minutes to a few decades.When I had a severe bout I had pain every day all day for over 6 months without any relief (well other than the 36 hours with a virus, and the constant diarrhea was almost worth the not having pain for a day and a half
)
So having pain everyday for five months can be normal for IBS? I've had pain my right lower side and around my navel and all EVERYDAY for the past five months and no doctors can figure out what is wrong with me. I'm worried it's chronic appendicitis...even though the doctors I've seen have ruled it out after CT scans, ultrasounds, xrays, blood work, etc...

·
Registered
103 Posts
* Diagnosed with IBS in 2005 and suffered on and off with stomach stuff, have had various scans etc - all clear* Cut out gluten and dairy in May 2009 and felt better* Nearly 2 weeks ago began having discomfort and pain in my right side - generally all over the right side but then localised at my lower right groin and in appendix area.* Feels windy and uncomfortable and is worse after EVERYTHING I eat
*EXTREMELY bloated all the time* Dr said unlikely to be appendix but I AM WORRIED!!!* The pain/discomfort hasn't gone and I am now getting wind/discomfort in my upper abdomen too.* Bloated stomach and a lot of gas.
I check on all those bolded symptoms, and I am absolutely sure I don't have appendicitis. I have a pretty close friend who had two years (yes, and it got progressively, noticeably worse) of chronic appendicitis, and the symptoms she had were actually quite a bit different. For one thing, she didn't bloat. Eating made no difference whatsoever. Her pain was also very specific and came with a fever every time it started. So, even with the chronic variety of appendicitis, it's very specific. It's like the acute version, but not as adorable. I mean uh, extreme.If your scans are all clear and you've had a colonoscopy that showed nothing in the way of Crohn's, I guess this can all be chalked up to IBS. Maybe it effects the terminal ileum in a way that mimics Crohn's disease, since there is a valve with plenty of muscle movement going on in that area.Also, I agree with everything that is said on it - chronic appendicitis is very rare. What is not rare is having right lower quadrant pain with Crohn's; in fact, it's at the top of the list of common warning signs.---I would really like to hear if the yogurt diet works. Fiber hasn't been doing much for me and occasionally seems to exacerbate symptoms like loss of appetite and nausea.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.