Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well yes I'm sitting here thinking this has got to be cancer. I have had an ache on the right side for going on two years. Last night it was really bothering me. It feels sore and bruised when I press on it. I can be near my belly button but mainly settles up under my right rib area. Tight clothes really inflame it and it seems to hurt the worse then. Sometimes I can even feel a strange sensation moving around the ribs into the back. Almost like a nerve. I'm so depressed I feel it must be a tumor to cause all this trouble. Just waiting on an endoscopy on the 22nd of May however it will probably show nothing as I just had an upper gi. I feel like getting an entire body scan. I don't know what to think at this point.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I was wondering about gallbladder too. Hang in there (and I can really relate to your discouragement; I've had awful lower-right pain for a long time).[This message has been edited by HipJan (edited 05-14-2001).]

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I had the SAME thing in August and it comes and goes now. The first dr. said it was "costochondritis" which I didn't buy. I mean, I can feel something in there! My GYN took a look and said that I have a "bruised floating rib", whatever that means!I am eager to find out what you are told!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Gosh, I just remembered that one doctor (my gastro, in fact) said it was just a "knot" or "twist" in my intestines. Bentyl or Levsin should help???Hmm, I have had three opinions from three doctors. Isn't that strange? HA!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
LOL Could be lots of things.
For me what you described was never diagnosed....until....a kidney stone tried to pass. I had been going for ultrasounds and tests for my IBS until just a week before I took myself to the hospital for the kidney stones. (I thought it was a bad UTI) I guess when they are looking for one thing, they don't look at the rest. I actually had 2 kidney stones. It felt like a "twinge", like a balloon was inside me and hitting some nerves...maybe not "painful" til the end, but certainly annoying. I related the feeling to when I was a kid and I had a loose tooth that rubbed on the gum.[This message has been edited by Auroraheart (edited 05-15-2001).]

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have constant pain on the right, low near where my ovaries are. Have had a million tests and all that was revealed was diverticulosis on the right, and the gastro says diverticulosis does not cause pain in an of itself. So, I live with the mystery but am being checked for endometriosis in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Location of pain has nothing to do with whether it is IBS or something worse.By the time colon cancer hurts, usually your in an advanced stage and it is unlikely that you would be in pain for 2 years, as you'd probably be dead without treatment before that. However, if you are concerned and you haven't been evaluated by a doctor for this symptom it may ease your mind to get tested, and once it is evaluated a course of treatment can be planned (even if it is "just" IBS)Upper right hand pain under the ribs can be a gall-bladder thing, but can also just be IBS.I have a couple of points on the right that when the IBS is bad hurt enough that I double over in pain gasping, and it's "just" IBS.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Actually that is not completely true. Right sided pain can be attributed to Crohn's, depending on where it is of course. The reason is that the ileum is located on the right side and that is where CD typically manifests. There is usually pain there when the bowel is inflamed with CD. I could not tell you where your ileum sits in your body (there could be scar tissue from past surgery yada yada yada things can move) but I am positive that a Dr could find it for you. It tends not to be under the ribs but to the right of the belly button.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Right sided pain could be alot of things, and is not specific to any particular disease., Some diseases may commonly have right-sided or left-sided pain, but it isn't diagnostic, i.e. multiple disorders have the similar symptoms and not everyone with that disease has that particular pain location.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

G

·
I definitely agree that you should not worry that it is cancer because if it was you would not be around by now - doesn't mean you should not keep investigating though. From what I know, diffuse dull pain can be associated with "IBS" or other syndromes like fibronyalgia - do you have any pain or tender spots elsewhere?

·
Registered
525 Posts
I do have fibromyalgia and costal chondritis. I have vague pains in different parts of my body daily. But for the costo it's usually the rib cage and the sternum. If you press on the bones and they hurt, it's usually the costo, but if the pain is coming from inside--I'm not sure. I tend to agree that if you have had this pain for so long, it's probably something chronic.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
For years, the dr. thought I was in the beginning of Crohn's since the pain was on the right. The first colonoscopy showed some bleeding patches, but the second one was clear. So I was dx'ed with IBS.HipJan, Costochondritis is an inflammation of the ribs. Usually it is found higher up near the breastbone and heart, but it can also occur lower like under the ribs.[This message has been edited by JenS (edited 05-15-2001).]

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Kmottus,Yes I know and that is why I said it CAN be attributed to Crohn's. Yes it is a diagnostic tool for CD and if CD is in the ileum then everyone with CD in the ileum will have that particular pain location. I do not state things that I know nothing about, if I do not know something then I simply do not say anything.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
But do you agree you can have pain on the right that is not crohn's? I didn't mean to **** you off or say that pain there couldn't be crohn's, but while some disorders typically have pain in some locations IBS can also cause pain in every single one of them.That was the point I was trying to make.The person who started the thread seemed very worried that pain on the right HAD TO be something serious.I was trying to reassure that that it did not HAVE to be serious that it can be just IBS. I've got killer right sided pain as well as other locations prior to getting the IBS into remission and functional bowel disorders can cause pain in ANY location in the abdomen.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Hence the reason I told them to go to the Dr. ONLY a Dr will know for sure and it is DEFINATELY worth checking it out. There are specific warning signs to CD and this is one of them.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts