Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had right sided pain for almost 3 years. I have had ultrasound, upper endoscopy, upper gi, sigmoidoscopy, stool samples, tons of blood work and the only thing to be found on endoscopy was gastritis and duodenitis. I was put on protonix about 8 months ago. After a couple weeks the pain subsided. I continued with the protonix and then it came back. It comes and goes. Sometimes subsiding at night. I found a trigger of it...stress. Sometimes when I'm not thinking about it like at work, or when I'm having a glass of wine...it seems to subside...what is this???

· Registered
1,955 Posts
hi kat,Where exactly is the pain on your right side.. I mean is it a pain around your waist area, or lower?Was just wondering because I have had right side pain for a couple of years now.. around my kidney area. I even mentioned this to the urologist and he tested me for kidney stone.. thank goodness there were none.I know if you suffer with IBS..it is not uncommon to get these pains, although the urologist attributed it to my back.Well, good luck..all the best to you..Jeanne

· Registered
1,955 Posts
hi kat,Where exactly is the pain on your right side.. I mean is it a pain around your waist area, or lower?Was just wondering because I have had right side pain for a couple of years now.. around my kidney area. I even mentioned this to the urologist and he tested me for kidney stone.. thank goodness there were none.I know if you suffer with IBS..it is not uncommon to get these pains, although the urologist attributed it to my back.Well, good luck..all the best to you..Jeanne

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this pain is up high. Right under my ribs and no its not my gall bladder or liver...already been tested. The pain will also cause a "pulling sensation" around to the back. I don't know if this is GI related, a nerve or what. Nobody seems to be able to figure it out. I asked my gi doc about a colonoscopy and it doesn't think I need it because of the location and type of "ache" he says its not the colon. But I don't know anymore. I'm getting depressed, anxiety-filled and everything else....

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this pain is up high. Right under my ribs and no its not my gall bladder or liver...already been tested. The pain will also cause a "pulling sensation" around to the back. I don't know if this is GI related, a nerve or what. Nobody seems to be able to figure it out. I asked my gi doc about a colonoscopy and it doesn't think I need it because of the location and type of "ache" he says its not the colon. But I don't know anymore. I'm getting depressed, anxiety-filled and everything else....

· Registered
65 Posts
I have pain which sort of aklmost runs along the bottom of my rib cage on the right side.If I reach my left hand around my front and around as far as I can on my back it stretches from there to the front.I spoke to the GP about it and he thought it unreleated to my IBS. I busted my ribs 18 months ago on that side and it may be that but it seems to come and go and is worse when sitting in the car or anywhere.It fels like a tightened or strained muscle.

· Registered
65 Posts
I have pain which sort of aklmost runs along the bottom of my rib cage on the right side.If I reach my left hand around my front and around as far as I can on my back it stretches from there to the front.I spoke to the GP about it and he thought it unreleated to my IBS. I busted my ribs 18 months ago on that side and it may be that but it seems to come and go and is worse when sitting in the car or anywhere.It fels like a tightened or strained muscle.

· Registered
1,184 Posts
I'm assuming your doc tested you for H. Pylori. I had the upper right side pain and it turns out I had gastritis and an ulcer in my duodenum caused by H. Pylori. I would specifically find out if you were biopsied for H. Pylori during the endoscopy.Stacey

· Registered
1,184 Posts
I'm assuming your doc tested you for H. Pylori. I had the upper right side pain and it turns out I had gastritis and an ulcer in my duodenum caused by H. Pylori. I would specifically find out if you were biopsied for H. Pylori during the endoscopy.Stacey

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I was tested for Hplyori. I did have gastritis and duodenitis which he felt could be causing symptoms. I have had this going on for three years. It went away for approximately 6 months and now its back. I have no idea why?

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I was tested for Hplyori. I did have gastritis and duodenitis which he felt could be causing symptoms. I have had this going on for three years. It went away for approximately 6 months and now its back. I have no idea why?

· Registered
33,934 Posts
Typically the stomach and duodenum do not become inflamed for no reason what-so-ever.However determining what in particular cause yours may or may not be an easy task.Some causes can include reaction to drugs (particularly asprin and other NSAIDS esp. for gastritis) and/or infection (with gastritis particularly H. pylori).Some people can have functional problems with the stomach that mimic gastritis but there is no inflamation seen on inspection. (functional dyspepsia)K.

· Registered
33,934 Posts
Typically the stomach and duodenum do not become inflamed for no reason what-so-ever.However determining what in particular cause yours may or may not be an easy task.Some causes can include reaction to drugs (particularly asprin and other NSAIDS esp. for gastritis) and/or infection (with gastritis particularly H. pylori).Some people can have functional problems with the stomach that mimic gastritis but there is no inflamation seen on inspection. (functional dyspepsia)K.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.