Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am new here but have had IBS/IBD (diagnosed as both over the years via colonoscopies) for some 20 years. I live a pretty restricted life but am planning on a 10 hour road trip (family vacation) this summer and am terrified. I was hoping for some helpful advice and positive experiences to help ease my anxiety.ThanksBarb

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, to start with, I'd eat only light foods starting 2 days prior to leaving (no heavy meals). Have you used immodium? I usually take 4 or so the day before leaving on a trip. I'd take crossword puzzles, or knitting or something to keep your mind occupied so it doesn\t wander into "what if" land. I take ativan to take the edge off the anxiety of traveling. I'm leaving on a 4 hour plane trip next week, so I'm trying to stay as positive as possible even though deep down I'm filled with dread. But yep, I try to calm that intestinal tract before leaving and take the ativan to keep my anxiety level low.Best of Luck............and if you're worried about accidents, take some extra clothing to keep handy, or you could always get an adult diaper if you're really worried

·
Registered
151 Posts
I agree about taking imodium preventively and regularly per directions when away from home.I also agree about wearing an adult panty-diaper just for the trip. Ever since I had a huge mess suddenly happen before the car could be pulled over, I wear one even if traveling only an hour. I was surprised by how it feels fine and nobody can tell. It's in place of underwear so there's no bulk.I have a card saying "I Can't Wait", that I have a medical condition that makes it necessary for me to use a restroom quickly; that gets me into employee restrooms in places that don't provide one for the public. I rarely need it but I can get at it fast in my purse.I am very grateful to my husband's sensitivity that led him to buy me a portable, flushable toilet that we keep handy in the back of my minivan, with tp and hand sanitizer. The windows are tinted, the toilet is placed so it looks like I'm on a seat, and the blanket that covers it becomes a shawl to hide my whole backside just in case someone comes and puts his hands up to the window to peer inside, which of course never happens. Whatever that chemical is in it, it works so well, there is absolutely no odor or bad smell after flushing, providing you don't have a mess on you (because you have a diaper-panty on and can dispose that out of your car into a gas station or other trashbin). Although I rarely use it, maybe only 2-5 times/year, I'm so comforted knowing that it's in the car, that allowing space for it is a requirement when considering the car to replace my old and failing 14year old car. So, be creative and eat carefully if that triggers problems for you, drink calming tea and by all means.... GO and have fun!Cathy

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree about taking imodium preventively and regularly per directions when away from home.I also agree about wearing an adult panty-diaper just for the trip. Ever since I had a huge mess suddenly happen before the car could be pulled over, I wear one even if traveling only an hour. I was surprised by how it feels fine and nobody can tell. It's in place of underwear so there's no bulk.I have a card saying "I Can't Wait", that I have a medical condition that makes it necessary for me to use a restroom quickly; that gets me into employee restrooms in places that don't provide one for the public. I rarely need it but I can get at it fast in my purse.I am very grateful to my husband's sensitivity that led him to buy me a portable, flushable toilet that we keep handy in the back of my minivan, with tp and hand sanitizer. The windows are tinted, the toilet is placed so it looks like I'm on a seat, and the blanket that covers it becomes a shawl to hide my whole backside just in case someone comes and puts his hands up to the window to peer inside, which of course never happens. Whatever that chemical is in it, it works so well, there is absolutely no odor or bad smell after flushing, providing you don't have a mess on you (because you have a diaper-panty on and can dispose that out of your car into a gas station or other trashbin). Although I rarely use it, maybe only 2-5 times/year, I'm so comforted knowing that it's in the car, that allowing space for it is a requirement when considering the car to replace my old and failing 14year old car. So, be creative and eat carefully if that triggers problems for you, drink calming tea and by all means.... GO and have fun!Cathy
Thats is so warm and comforting .. that would make me enjoy trips.I have to travel 100 miles some time this week with a colleague, he is aware of my problems and suffers a bit himself, but its not really making me feel better about it.I take codeine daily again now, since I had a big attack a week or so ago .. but even though it stops me going I still feel the need and the panic ..My advise is the same as above, eat small controlled amounts and relax as much as you can. End of the day you can just turn round and say "I'm gonna be sick and rush out"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.