Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it would help if all us LG sufferers would post all of our conditions & ailments that may have something to do with LG.... Maybe we all have 1 condition in common???? Its worth a try. I will list every condition & ailment I have been diagnosed with:1. chronic constipation (IBS)2. lower back pain (severe curve in low back)3. tight sphincter muscle (barium enema)4. pressure/nerves ok in rectum (manometry test)5. anal fissures (2 colonscope tests)6. nervousness/anxiety makes LG worseHopefully, everyone will participate so we can FINALLY get the answer we have been searching for.

·
Registered
244 Posts
1) Constipation AND Diahhrea2) Weird sensation in rectum with LG3) Worse when nervous and anxiety4) Can sometimes feel pressure,like an urgency to go poop but can't.5) I don't smell 24/7. Just when sometimes out or in an uncomfortable situation.6) Sometimes have a dampness down there but not all the time and don't know if it's the LG. Sometimes I might even have a hot,warmth sensation.7) Have had the tube camera down my throat and the stuff they make you drink(barium) but was told nothing was wrong but have gastritis and was sent on my way.

·
Registered
583 Posts
1) Diarrhea, not loose watery, just mushy with mucous2) incomplete evacuation, 3) Weird sensation in rectum with LG4) Always feel pressure in the rectum like I have to go, no urgency, but can't go. 5) Worse when nervous and with anxiety6) Don't smell 24/7, just when in uncomfortable situation, especially in social settings.7) Same thing about a hot warm sensation, not all the time though, but no dampness felt.7) Once had anal fissure 2 years ago, had surgery for it. But LG was there years before the anal fissure and stayed after the surgery.8) The worst time for my LG is when I'm anxious especially in social setting even around old time friends

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey guys i think i have found the root cause,i had it everyday for two year, now i never get it once in a blue moon,but i read this one week ago and did a little test to see if what will cause me to get it back and i have it back but can get rid of it, please email me and i will get back to u and have a chat,i hope it works for u guys too,im in the uk ,but online in the after noons american and canadian times,and evening for uk people

·
Registered
8 Posts
idont have it anymore im almost positive its because its something to do with greasy food cause i cut it all out of my diet and started eating regular meals and after 3 weeks it was gone,and last three month i have had it about two days but with a fibre drink i go to the toilet and its gone,so i did alittle test i ate greasy food for three days and it came back ,so i cut greasy food out and it went,so i think its fatty foods blocking ur insides up and if u purge ur body of fat it goes,i would avoid ,fatty foods,dairy products,tea and coffee,alcohol,and eat fresh fruit,fibre supplements,vegtables,and take antispasmodic tablets before each meal to stop bloating and gas, and cut ur diet of meat by half,drink only water,and cranberry juice cause it cleans ur insides,it might get worse for the first week or two but the symptoms will go,and now i can drink alcohol and feel ok,it gets worse cause all the fat is coming out ur body,but im positive u will feel 90percent better after a month,im getting my life back i can go out socially and not worry now,also u could take probiotics they help a little aswell,but eat vegitaraian,and have four meals a day and u will feel better

·
Registered
400 Posts
Glad that's worked for you but most of us have been down that road and it doesn't matter what is consumed the LG is still there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you think that the smell is there all the time? I really don't although the fact that we cannot smell it makes me think that maybe it is. I cannot get a straight answer from anyone and when I am in the doctors office they all look at me like I am crazy! Yet, at work - I get all these comments! (Although one day I did out and out fart and it was one of those early morning ones - lol - whoops!).I have:mucusworse when nervous or anxietyhot warm sensation (what *is* this??)I have celiac and have a lot of issues with grains/sugar/carbs in general.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What I dont understand about LG is that for many years I thought that I had the LG because I STAY constipated.
But that is not the case because there are others with LG that have diarrhea. This just blows my mind.
My theory especially since we all have 1 symptom in common - nervousness & anxiety make LG worse. I believe that it is DEFINATELY a rectal nerve disorder. There are a zillion nerve endings in the rectum so it isn't impossible. I think the damaged nerves are allowing the internal/external sphincters to relax when they are supposed to be closed air tight therefore letting gas escape, hence leaky gas. This has to be the answer because I have exhausted every other possibility imaginable to explain this phenomenom. I have tried diet, exercise, medicines, accupuncture, colonics, etc... and nothing has even come close to getting rid of this
I am going to call my GI and ask him if my theory is possible. I am going to drive that poor man crazy! Oh well, so be it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Originally posted by mandabell25: I think the damaged nerves are allowing the internal/external sphincters to relax when they are supposed to be closed air tight therefore letting gas escape, hence leaky gas. ________________________________________________________________________________________________My theory is where there is gas it is bound to leak, just the nature of gas. The only time it will be contained would be in an air tight place. The sphincter/rectum are never air tight. I still think something in the main digestion is going wrong making for some kind of weird gas which is different from the regular methane or other gas the normal body produces. Wonder if there is a special gas meter which can be attached to the rectum like a pouch which can measure not just the gas but even analyse the kind of gas that in there.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Mandabell, was wondering since taking your Xifaxan if your LG has gotten any better. Has anyone said anything at work to make you think it is not? Anyways please reply back because if it is helping I will demand it from my Dr.!! Was wanting to also know about your results from Devrom. I am thinking it is helping but am not sure. I think my LG was always like a fecal smell so you would think it would help somewhat.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hanna- good idea about the meter... but wouldn't you think we would eventually run out of this gas. My lord I can stand at work for 10 hours a day and "leak" probably 9 1/2 hours out of that!!! Even if I dont eat much it still leaks just as bad as it would if I had eaten a whole pizza or something.
jm- Xifaxan helps only a little with the amount of LG but not with the smell, but it does not get rid of LG... at least not for me. I have not tried Devrom yet. I called my GI today and tried to request any other "test" he could give me - and he told me that I have already been given the 2 most important exams and that anything else would be a waste of time and then he told me that he recommends nerve pills.
I am soooo sick of this I spend too much time thinking about LG. I wish I could just forget about it... then maybe it would go away!

·
Registered
583 Posts
What is Xifaxan? One thing that seems to have helped my LG somewhat is natural anti-bacterials. Raw garlic, one clove only at night time has made some difference. Take it together with fresh parsley which kills the garlic smell/taste not just in the mouth but parsley is also a natural breath freshener and I remember vaguely from long time ago it is used in natural breath fresheners which are in capsule form which stated that bad breath comes from the stomach and not the mouth. So it seems that parsley kills bad smells so it may be helpful for LG also if eaten daily. We could all try it out for a few weeks and see if all of us have some improvement in LG.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Doctors only tell you about what they can make money curing, and about what they can get in trouble for if they don't tell you.Don't trust them. Be aggressive.I had two meetings with a gastroenterologist, and one with a colon-rectal surgeon, including a detailed "inspection".My Colon-rectal surgeon had an office meeting with me, an "inspection", and recomended a colonoscopy. I went through the whole process.No one told me that I stink, but I think they thought it the whole time. I am not stupid, and I can take a hint, just like everyone else on this site.We only have each other to figure this out.Only eat food the way nature made it. We need a support group for this.Trust me girls, guys will like you, even if you fart sometimes.Has anyone seen the show "Made" on MTV. They show that one lacross-playing girl. She says, "I just farted," during practice.Lots of guys still thought she was hot and cool.We need to start a discussion about how to balance calories and dietary needs using natural foods and excersise.Does anyone have any comments?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Dr. Levitt and other people like him have the equipment to analyze gas. I don't think anyone's ever analyzed the gas of LG people. Who knows? It may be different and would explain why traditional methods of eliminating or filtering the smell doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Anmegrl, I understand that hydrogen sulfide can be tested in the breath, so you would imagine that there is a way of testing for gas.Tummyrumbles, you might not necessarily have to forego your dairy products. I have not had dairy for years, but I was told yesterday by my gastroenterologist that the results of my lactose breath test showed that I do not have an intolerance to lactose and that I should be able lto include it in my diet, without going overboard and having too much. I think that processed food, sugar/fructose and wheat/gluten products are more likely to lead to gas problems. However, any sulfurous food such as dried fruit and onions play havoc with my digestive system, causing me to have really bad gas and to make several trips to the toilet. Pumpkin is probably the worst food of all for me.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Give me pumpkin and I'll win hands down.I used to overeat when I was growing up, but have regular, smallish meals. Whether or not I have food intolerances, I don't know, but it's amazing the difference to my digestion if I eliminate certain food. Eating bland food doesn't solve the problem by any means, but cuts back on the stinky gas.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi, this is a message for anmegrl..I apologize for barging in with something irrelevant to this thread, sorry! Anmegrl, I am very interested in your experience with Dr. D's program, as I have been doing it myself for 6 months now and really just thought to look at the posts about it on the board. The main thread under "products and services" ends after 22 pages in early February...your story was not over...could you please tell me if you kept reporting and where could I find that? I'd like to add some observations of my own. I'm a 25 year IBS sufferer, (victim??) and in '97 it became unmanageable...took action in '01 with many suggestions on this board. Thanks very much!!!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hi everyone, I am a new poster but have been reading all of your posts. I feel like I know so many of you personally. I am really at the end of my rope with this LG. I got it about 8 years ago and I had to take a full year off work, due to stress because of it. It went away for a while but would come back from time to time. Now it seems to back with a vengance. (I have IBS-d). Like so many of you on here, my doctor doesnt seem to think LG is a big problem. I have no answers, but just want to say thanks to all of you for your posts, its nice to know I am not alone with this problem.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Alcoholic beverages with a low alcohol content, such as wine or beer, strongly increase gastric acid. Alcohol can also interfere with the workings of the muscles surrounding the stomach and change the time it takes for food to move through it. This may lead to enough time for bacteria to start to work on the food, and for gases which are produced during this time, to lead to stomach pains. Also alcohol slows down the breakdown of food into usable chemicals by lowering the amount of digestive enzymes released from the pancreas.{alcoholresearch.lsumc.edu, Aug. 2002} drinking alcohol. I was wondering if any of you find your symptoms get worse if you have drank alcohol.Has anyone had any luck by cutting out all alcohol consumption?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.