Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone...just spent the last hour laying in my room in tears. i'm not feelin so good but i'm not as bad as some days but for some reason i'm overally depressed today.
someone tell me what it's like to be normal?! people take their lives for granted so much. you really don't realize what you have until it's gone, because if u don't have your health...u have nothing! my grandma told one of my friends yesterday that me having IBS is VERY hard on my sister and maybe sometime i should apologize to her!!!! what am i supposed to say....ooooh i'm so sorry this is realy hard for u, i know its allll my fault and its really easy for me to deal with!!!! grrrrrwhy do bad things happen to good people? it just doesn't seem right! thanks for listening to me.... ~ claire~

·
Registered
155 Posts
Why would it cause your sister pain? Doesn't she know you're the one in pain whos life is turned upside down. Yes I know some people say they don't let IBS rule their life and they do what they want, but it's not capable for everyone. Everyone is different! I too wish I could have my old life back, and want to know how it feels to be normal again, so I feel really bad for you because I totally understand. I hope you somehow find relief, and don't worry about what your grandmother said, it's not your fault in any way, and it doesn't affect your sister!

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Claire, that wasn't right to make that comment for sure and remember until they have IBS they have no idea.I would give them Molly brochure and mayeven Mikes tape on what its like to have IBS for normal people. It will help for you to educate them as much as posible and as much as they want to learn or need to know. Our lifes do effect others just like they effect ours.I am sorry your having a bad day. Try to do something that lifts your spirits up and remember there are a lot of people with IBS that feel like you do. Its important also to learn some skills that help in dealing with it all and try not to let it get the best of you. Sometimes you can work very hard on your IBS and not get anywhere and sometimes you do get somewhere, but you have to keep trying.I would print out also a technical paper on IBS and hand it to them and tell them its is really not easy living with this condition at all.give them this maybe. http://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/clinicalIssues.html

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Claire, I'm so sorry you are having a bad day. Things just seem to pile up sometimes. Family members do get tired of us being sick all the time. That was probably your grandma's way of griping about the situation. Any chronic condition puts a lot of strain on other family members, but that doesn't mean the one who is ill has to apologize!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Clair...never apologize for something you have no control over. (unless you are in customer service anyways)
Focus on you and what you DO have control over. Perhaps you could print out Molly's brochure for your grandma? I had to have a long talk with my Grandparents before they understood that Kaopectate wasn't something that would work for me. Sometimes ignorance is what causes these sorts of things, and knowledge helps that. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I share in your feelings...and no you DON'T have to apologize for not feeling well. It is something we all wish we could control. Sometimes families are the hardest of all to deal with. They get tired of us complaining and I am so sick of all their free advice to me as if they knew the things we needed to do. I know they all think it is something in your mind and you could have better control--but it is just not possible. They don't realize they are making you feel only worse by the things they say or do. I just have reached the point where I don't even want to discuss how I am feeling with them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
unfortunatly i'm still "sick" today...its usually a 2 or 3 day period for me until i finally give in and take immodium so i can have my life back for acouple days. thats the only way i can seem to get up and do something. i haven't really talked to my family this morning much, sometimes its just easier not to. although this morning my parents and sister wanted to go to a bagel shop and they said, hey claire do you wanna come and i said no sorry i can't which lead to many questions so i just decided to walk away. i realize that others deal with this too and i know i'm not alone but boy does it suck!!!!!! tahnks so much for caring
hugs to you all!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a similar problem with my sister- she rolls her eyes at me when I am not feeling well which is 5 days out of a 7 day week!!!! ANd then proceeds to tell me how nasty I am to everyone. I wish for one day all my close friends & family could feel the pain we do & then spend as much time in the bathroom on top of it & then maybe just maybe they will understand that we do not feel like smiling & laughing all the time!!!As far as this happening to you & I & the rest of usand why- I wish I had an answer. I pray everyday for my IBS to go into remission again- it has been 9 months & I cannot take it. I want my life back too. I want to eat normal again & not worry about where the nearest bathroom is & if it is suitable!!!! I have read some books about IBS- have you tried that alot of the relaxation techniques seem to help a bit & I do alot of Yoga & massage therapy but I have not gone the whole natural route- b/c the meds are helping. I also drink cammomile, fennel, & ginger teas & they seem to calm the gut down alot. Just some suggestions- I know today was a bad day but tomorrow will get better- as for your sister- I would try to talk to her & explain how you feel literally and hopefully she will come around- I still am hoping mine will.

·
Registered
125 Posts
We're all here for you as we do understand the suffering and embarassment this disease causes. Don't feel guilty about something you have no control over and distance yourself from people that make you feel worse.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.