Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had stomach problems for the last couple years now. I really miss the days when I didn't even think about going to the bathroom, it was just normal. My problems started in 2008, and I was diagnosed with a gallbladder that wasn't functioning properly. I had surgery to remove it, and I felt great right after. I didn't have any problems until several months after the surgery. Silly me, I thought my problems had been solved, when in reality, they we just beginning. I started having stomach cramps when I needed to go to the bathroom. The cramps would come and go, and sometimes be so strong that I would have cold sweats and double over in pain. Once I was able to go to the bathroom, I would feel better. This progressed and has now turned into a morning thing. I was prescribed Levsin by my family doctor to help with the cramping. It helps somewhat, since the cramps don't happen as often, but it definitely hasn't eliminated them. Now every morning when I wake up, it's unavoidable that I will have a stomach ache, and either loose, gassy stools or diarrhea. I hate the nauseous feeling that comes along with it, and the gassy gurgly stomach aches. Once the morning is over with, I'm usually fine for the rest of the day, but it's really hard to do things in the morning. I dread early work meetings or seminars because I start to stress about whether my stomach will start acting up and whether or not I will be close to a bathroom. I take immodium almost daily. I will be taking a mini vacation next month with some girlfriends. There will be 4 girls and one bathroom...yikes. Does anyone know of anything that can help with my morning sickness feeling? I don't want to ruin everyone's trip by being locked up in the bathroom every morning waiting for my stomach to cooperate.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
The two therapies that seem to have worked the best for gall bladder less D are regular doses of calcium carbonate with Vitamin D or Questran, a prescription drug that works in the bowels to bind cholesterol. Both of these also seem to absorb the excess liquid in the colon and both seem to work quickly, so you should be able to try each of them before your holiday.Good luck with this.Mark

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I'm hesitant to take calcium supplements since I have a history of kidney stones, which are composed of calcium.
I think the mechanism is that most of the calcium in an unchelated supplement passes through into the colon, rather than being absorbed into the bloodstream; but a nutritionist would be more helpful than me in that regard. Talk to your doctor about Questran. Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm hesitant to take calcium supplements since I have a history of kidney stones, which are composed of calcium.
Have you posted in the Calcium thread about your concern? I know others have posted about concerns with kidney stones and there have been answers about it in there, but the thread is so long you really have to read the whole thing to find that stuff, so asking a question about it might be quicker
Linda or others usually answer in about a day or so. My story is much the same as yours - but I haven't had my gall bladder out - the doctor told me it might help, but it might make it worse so I decided to keep mine for now. Anyways, the calcium is really helping me right now so I wanted to reply to your thread
Good luck, I know what it's like to go away with girlfriends and be worried about the bathroom but you know - they'll probably be pretty understanding. Just bring a candle for the bathroom - always makes me feel a bit better

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.