Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suffer from gas as one of my main symptoms of IBS and a lot of the time it is trapped. Before I developed IBS as I know it today, I would have some rumbling if I needed a BM but this would completely go once I had been to the toilet. It now seems to be the reverse - I will do a BM, either a relatively normal one or have diarrhea and I get excessive rumbling and a kind of 'vibrating' feeling in my lower gut. If it is wind, I can never seem to relieve it although surely the gas can't be trapped by anything as I've just been for a BM? However before I've been for a BM, and when I need to go for example, whenever I get gas it doesn't get trapped and I find it really easy to pass wind - unless I'm constipated which I don't get a lot as my IBS is mainly D. I was wondering if anyone else gets this or knows what it is? I absolutely HATE my gas problem simply as the rumbling has given me massive social anxiety and made me very self concious - I was already both of these before my IBS developed and now I feel crippled by the idea of my stomach rumbling in a quiet situation and people knowing it's me - in real life I'm not that comfortable talking about bowel movements so I obviously don't want my body 'speaking' for itself to tell people what's going on down there lol. Bit disgusting but it kind of feels like when I do need a BM the poo acts as a sort of plug to control how much my bowels can spasm and cause gas - when I am 'empty' it seems that they have more room to spasm in so I get more gas? It's getting to the point where it's giving me a fear of going for a BM before doing anything that involves quiet spaces as without the BM still in me my body could surprise me at any point and rumble and cause me intense embarrassment whereas if I can feel that I need a BM, I at least get some kind of feeling when there is going to be a rumble.I get a lot of gas throughout the day and a lot of the time no matter how much I feel like I need to relieve it, no matter how hard I strain to try and get it out, nothing comes out! Instead I get this rumbling that is mainly in my lower gut but sometimes feels like it's in my actual rectum too, however the gas won't come out. It is a major problem at night as due to the fact I have to push to relieve it, I don't relieve it in my sleep so the gas builds up and my stomach starts to rumble REALLY loud at night. I go to bed around midnight and wake up at 7.30am in the week but every night for the past 2 weeks I've woken up at 4/5/6am because my stomach is grumbling SO loud and I can't actually get the gas out (I know it is gas that causes the rumbles). Once I wake up I can normally relieve this and the rumbles should stop once my body has properly woken up (unless I have an upset stomach) but during the night I can't keep being woken up by the rumbles as it's making me very tired and I'm in my final year of college before uni and REALLY can't be doing with being tired all the time! Does anyone else suffer from this? It's really annoying me and I'm not sure what to do about it. I have always had rumbling in mornings but never as severe and they have never woken me up before - I've just noticed the rumbles once I have got out of bed and started moving around, however recently the rumbles have started while I've actually been asleep and been very consistent - maybe every 5-10 seconds and VERY loud.Sorry for being a bit graphic at times, thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I actually just posted something similar before reading this
. Does it cause you pain? I have a really rumbly/gassy stomach too and I often can't tell the difference between gas and bm pain...very frustrating.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have this too, really rumbling assy tummy with cramps, sometimes its just wind sometimes i need a bm, but it is hard to tell the difference some times as the pain is both equally as bad for tummy cramps and the wind. Its so frustrating.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.