Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions about magnesium. I bought a bottle today of the citrate and oxide.Which is better??What time is the best to take it??Do you count the magnesium in your daily vitamin too??Do you still eat mainly high-fiber food still??What else do you take with it??I'm kinda nervous to try it, but nothing else has really worked all that well.Angela

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well I just popped my first 3 pills a few minutes ago (400mg). They are magnesium oxide because...that's what the store had in stock, no citrate.It says to take with a meal. I don't count my magnesium intake from other foods since I guesstimate I probably get less than 100mg through food sources. I still try to keep my fiber up though I know I should be getting more fiber in my diet. I try to watch my fat intake since it's a trigger (right side pain) plus it doesn't help my cholesterol. What other drugs - 1 to 3 donnatal tabs each day for my pain and 1 lovastatin at night for cholesterol.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Oh great. I can make my constipation worse by taking statins or I can skip the statin and possibly clog up the old arteries.I'll check out his site. I mentioned I was taking a statin but forgot the 2nd part - the magnesium warning says to NOT take magnesium within 2 hours of another medication. It can alter the absorption rate of other meds.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I started at 200mg last night and went the next morning. I usually go once a day already though, but it usually feels like an incomplete movement or it's painful. It was easier to pass. Im gonna bump it up to 400. I'm keeping my fingers crosses. Do u take it on an empty stomach?? Also, does the donnatel constipate you at all??Angela

·
Registered
249 Posts
The donnatal doesn't cause constipation, at least for me. Just food causes it
I take magnesium about 30 minutes after eating per the directions. That would make sense to cause water retention in what is being passed down the line.It may be a fluke or it may stop working in two weeks, who knows. I'm just amazed I went two days in a row. Wee! How basic body functions can make us happy.

·
Registered
506 Posts
ZigZag, I'm glad to hear your having success with the magnesium. I've been on it for five years now and it keeps working. After a couple of weeks though, you may still get a bit backed up and it may seem like it stopped working. In this case, sometimes I'll take a bit of senna one night (a mild stimulant laxative) to clean me out and then I go back to the daily magnesium and its more effective again. I find I have to do this about once a month. I spoke to my doctor and she said that taking a stimulant laxative once a month (or even every two weeks) shouldn't hurt. Cheers, Linda

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.