Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I’m gonna mention a few things and ask for one piece of general advice if people wanna share.

Quick backstory, despite having traveled quite a lot in my life, plane rides are still no fun. They’ve never been my favorite, but a few years ago before really long international to Asia I had a serious bad day, ended up not eating after morning D until about 24 hours later. Most of trip went okay once there, except of course I probably picked up a little something and had some morning issues toward end of trip. then before flight home I was having a sluggish bowel/diarrhea like combination with panicky feeling., wanted to run away. Got through it, but no fun.

fast forward through a pandemic and on the first flight in 3 years, a like 2 hour direct, but early in the morning, I was having some real issues, and again, mainly the panicky feeling especially right as it was time to board, really wanting to just run to a bathroom and cancel my trip (if it were just me I really may have taken the out, but with family, I just pressed on). Again no actual bathroom needs once on the plane, but what an awful feeling.

but I finally got on board with another big trip, coming very soon. As a bit of additive, this time we are driving 6-7 hrs the day before, staying with family a night, driving 2 hrs to airport next day before the international.

To my main question: what are your safe foods when you’re thinking about something like this?

I know what is NOT safe food, but I find sometimes, despite all the journaling and everything, that I can’t really come up with a good go-to. In this case, we have compounding issues, because the car ride the day before necessitates either food packed in the car to eat on the way or stopping for food- somewhat more likely to be something we can get fast. Then we get to family, where I’m more likely to be offered something more fatty/salty/etc than I’d usually make for myself. Obviously we have the concept of bananas and rice and toast, but that’s pretty short term. Maybe in similar situation some of you would actually intentionally fast in preparation. I know some of this is different for everyone, I also know that stress around a situation may mean it doesn’t much matter what I eat- and there’s even a wonder if you sometimes do better to really have something for the guts to eliminate to feel better, just like mostlu (vs trying to subsist on rice and bananas, say, and having less there). I’d appreciate general ideas.

as to flight itself, I’ve gotten some xanax this time just to have something as an option. I have some ambivalent feelings there. I tested it once to see if I handled okay. Made me feel pretty tired for a few hours, but then normal after. Didn’t feel like it would be really helpful for a lot of the stressful part of travel- getting to airport, going through security, dealing with kids, because too like energy zapping and yet at least with that trial run I didn’t feel the same effects as with alcohol, say, where you may feel just more calm in general. I could see it being useful for right before getting on plane, help you relax and sleep once on, but most of my issue is in all that anticipation, not usually the actual event. I’m hopeful it will help me just to know I have that, so when I’m feeling the anticipation and what-if going through my mind, I can think, worst case, I’ll take some meds and hopefully that control will help.
But what will I eat?!
thanks for reading.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sabine,
I appreciate the reply. Unfortunately it seems I can’t get that ebook for free without giving up some information of mine. I don’t like that it’s free and yet requires a payment method. So, I gave up trying.
I have tried low fodmap before, so I’m aware of some options. And after writing my posts I looked through other similar ones, at least with regard to the idea of a safe food. After some thought I’m considering just trying for something real simple like boiled chicken and rice, minimally flavored- olive oil and salt, for my travel day in the car. Maybe a simple vegetable. Then just a good assortment of snacks for next day. Maybe yogurt with granola in the morning. Not necessarily low fodmap but I eat yogurt most days no problem. Making some sourdough, may bring some of that.
well anyway still interested to hear people’s favorite ideas. Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts