Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,I'm pretty new to IBS-D and my dr. has me on a pretty stiff/boring diet, but with the multivitamin w/calcium & iron with breakfast, Caltrate Plus (thanks for info about that) with lunch and dinner and the Bentyl before each meal and bedtime, I seem to be doing pretty well.I've had a really good week - only one day with pain/D that only lasted an hour!!!Well, getting to my question: I'm looking for a green vegie to add to my diet this week and need some suggestions for a very safe one. Presently the only green vegetable I'm eating is canned green beans. I don't really like them so I need something to alternate with.I'm very happy I've found this site - thanks to everyone here.------------------Martha

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey Martha, I dont know what u may like but I can eat collard greens,mustard greens, broccoli without any gassy problems only if they are not cooked with smoked pork for seasoning they arent as good but I dont get any problems this way. Now the broccoli is good steamed for an hour or so until tender and as long as i dont eat too much of the stalk. Hope this gives you some good ideas. Have a good weekend. ------------------Peter

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I eat broccoli often with no problems, but I read somewhere once that the longer you cook it, the gassier it makes you. I rinse fresh broccoli and steam it in a little salted water for just a couple minutes.Also, try frozen green beans instead of canned. I think they taste a lot better. My kids really like them with a little seasoned salt on them.As far as greens-don't you have to be a born and raised southern ******* to eat that stuff, Peter?
Another southern tradition, black-eyed peas, I will eat, but they just about did me in on New Year's Day, so I do not recommend them (besides they're not green). You might try real peas though, the frozen kind. Good luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Howdy Karin, well I dont know if you have to be one or not to enjoy good foods such as these, but if you do then DARLIN I am
actually I hated greens when growing up but as I grew so did my taste. If you dont like em you dont like em. Have you ever tried them? They are very good when done right they do have to be washed(fresh ones) vary good and its not unusual to see some folks wash them in their washing machine, then they have to be seasoned right which unfortunately for me includes smoked pork meat such as jowels, or salted pork. UUMMM I am gittin hongry already aint u.
------------------Peter

·
Registered
496 Posts
Howdy folks********* Green Vegies
*********** now that's a topic I love to eat!Martha -I was raised eating lots of greens:peas & carrots (light on the oil, butter & salt, steamed or lightly cooked in a pan or wok), mixed-frozen vegies! cauliflower & broccoli - they say this is gassy, but I have no problems with it either. String beans! one of my favorites! not sure where you live, but I eat green leafy chinese vegies too! this takes longer to prepare because of the "washing" involved (Peter can rinse them in the washing machine for you
), but they are tasty (ie bok-choy) even without "spice" or grease. I know youre not supposed to "boil" the vegies, but some especially ones with the stem/stalk take forever to soften/cook. Spinach - although I love it, its "gassy" for me. Anycase I have vegies every day usually in its simplest form with little additives,with pasta/bread & some white meat.The greener the better (without the gas
).Yeah, like Karin, I prefer the frozen kind over "canned". Enjoy em, Marta, hope I helped?
.Peter - easy on the rum & seasoned jowls (burp).

·
Registered
611 Posts
Broccoli seems great for me. I usually put it in a microwave-safe bowl with a little water and cover it with plastic wrap. I microwave it for about 2 minutes, which softens it but leaves it a bit crunchy. A prep tip: it's okay to eat the stalks, but you have to cut off the tougher outside layer to get to the tender heart of the stalk.For seasoning, I like a TEENSY bit of lactose-free margarine and a TEENSY bit of garlic powder.Also, in general, the more you cook the vegetables, the less vitamins they retain.In addition, it's been shown that in general, most IBSers and those with similar gastric troubles report that RAW vegetables give them the most trouble because the roughage is too hard to digest. So when I feel like having some crunchy broccoli dipped in a little salad dressing, I do like the nice restaurants do: cook the broccoli as above for less time, then refrigerate it. It softens the veggie a bit.Regards, Lilymaid

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The green vegies that work for me are:* Broccoli* Asparagus* Zucchini* French-cut green beansI steam them for 5 min. and season with a tiny bit of salt.Lettuce and peas are on my offensive foods list.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.