Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I've never tried canned salmon (it's not one of my favorite fish), but canned tuna is a definite trigger for me. And I used to LIVE on tuna casserole and tuna salad as a kid--both at home and the school cafeteria. Have you tried eating the tuna plain? Sometimes I wonder if it's the cream of mushroom soup in the casserole or mayo and onions in the salad that causes the problem. Or it could just be the oiliness of the fish.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I've never tried canned salmon (it's not one of my favorite fish), but canned tuna is a definite trigger for me. And I used to LIVE on tuna casserole and tuna salad as a kid--both at home and the school cafeteria. Have you tried eating the tuna plain? Sometimes I wonder if it's the cream of mushroom soup in the casserole or mayo and onions in the salad that causes the problem. Or it could just be the oiliness of the fish.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its just plain tuna I checked the fat content and things and the Tuna has less fat than the salmon. I just dont get it its so frustrating Give me Tuna over Salmon any day!!!!!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its just plain tuna I checked the fat content and things and the Tuna has less fat than the salmon. I just dont get it its so frustrating Give me Tuna over Salmon any day!!!!!!!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Food intolerances can be very specific, and it could be some protien in the tuna that is tuna-specific that is what is bothering you.One other thing, I think both tuna and salmon can produce histamine when they aren't kept cold properly prior to processing, but I think tuna is more prone to do this, and also may be more likely in the canned stuff than in stuff for fresh. Does fresh tuna bother you?K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html [This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 07-19-2001).]

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Food intolerances can be very specific, and it could be some protien in the tuna that is tuna-specific that is what is bothering you.One other thing, I think both tuna and salmon can produce histamine when they aren't kept cold properly prior to processing, but I think tuna is more prone to do this, and also may be more likely in the canned stuff than in stuff for fresh. Does fresh tuna bother you?K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html [This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 07-19-2001).]

·
Registered
927 Posts
On the bright side, Salmon has a higher Omega-3 fat content. Very good for you. Don't be fooled by the wording "fat". Your body will utilise it not store it!I also know some normal non-digestive disordered people that get gastric troubles on tuna.

·
Registered
927 Posts
On the bright side, Salmon has a higher Omega-3 fat content. Very good for you. Don't be fooled by the wording "fat". Your body will utilise it not store it!I also know some normal non-digestive disordered people that get gastric troubles on tuna.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Heppers, I don't know about the UK, but here in the US they add soy protein and God knows what else to canned tuna. I'm allergic to soy and haven't even tried to eat any tuna for years.Tuna's not my favorite fish anyway. The canned salmon and canned chicken both add only water and salt. My favorite is chicken salad with canola mayo, fresh basil and black pepper. Onions are a trigger for me also.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Heppers, I don't know about the UK, but here in the US they add soy protein and God knows what else to canned tuna. I'm allergic to soy and haven't even tried to eat any tuna for years.Tuna's not my favorite fish anyway. The canned salmon and canned chicken both add only water and salt. My favorite is chicken salad with canola mayo, fresh basil and black pepper. Onions are a trigger for me also.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Kmottus nailed it pretty much. In addition, almost al tuna is bulked-up withj soy extract (soy lecithin) and can be sulfited as well. So a person may be just fine with tuna but reatcing to the histmaine contamination KM speaks of, ythe soy lecitihn, or a sulfiting agent.THE WAY TO FIND OUT IF IT IS THE TUNA IS EAT ONLY TUNA AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS!1. Star Kist LOW SODIUM LOW FAT White Tuna in Pure Distilled water2. BUMBLE BEE DIET LOW SALT White Tuna In WaterThis is the Tuna Of Choice for chemcially sensitive patients. Its just tuna.MNL_______________ www.leapallergy.com

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Kmottus nailed it pretty much. In addition, almost al tuna is bulked-up withj soy extract (soy lecithin) and can be sulfited as well. So a person may be just fine with tuna but reatcing to the histmaine contamination KM speaks of, ythe soy lecitihn, or a sulfiting agent.THE WAY TO FIND OUT IF IT IS THE TUNA IS EAT ONLY TUNA AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS!1. Star Kist LOW SODIUM LOW FAT White Tuna in Pure Distilled water2. BUMBLE BEE DIET LOW SALT White Tuna In WaterThis is the Tuna Of Choice for chemcially sensitive patients. Its just tuna.MNL_______________ www.leapallergy.com

G

·
Dear Heppers, All I know is that I have become a lover salmon steaks(that sounds really odd). While my hubby has barb-q steak, I put a salmon steak in tin foil with a bit of lemon juice, fold it up tightly and cook for about 20 minutes or so. Yum!! Never has given my bowel a problem so far. I used to love tuna salad sandwiches, but the mayo is out now as is the onion......so why bother? Thanks Kmottus and you other senior members for such insight once again. Hey - they do say fish is brain food right? God Bless. Chris

G

·
Dear Heppers, All I know is that I have become a lover salmon steaks(that sounds really odd). While my hubby has barb-q steak, I put a salmon steak in tin foil with a bit of lemon juice, fold it up tightly and cook for about 20 minutes or so. Yum!! Never has given my bowel a problem so far. I used to love tuna salad sandwiches, but the mayo is out now as is the onion......so why bother? Thanks Kmottus and you other senior members for such insight once again. Hey - they do say fish is brain food right? God Bless. Chris

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Yes, it must be something they add to the canned tuna. Fresh tuna is never a problem for me; in fact, I scarf it down raw at the sushi bar and never get sick. I wonder if the soy protein that is added is "hydrolized soy protein," which is another name for MSG.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Yes, it must be something they add to the canned tuna. Fresh tuna is never a problem for me; in fact, I scarf it down raw at the sushi bar and never get sick. I wonder if the soy protein that is added is "hydrolized soy protein," which is another name for MSG.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Fresh tuna was never a problem for me and whenever I ate tuna "salad" I had a problem. If I ate tuna out of the can (Bumble bee packed in water only) I never had the problem. I thought it was the mayo. When my kids came along they only like the tuna "salad" with mayo only. I tried it and nothing happened. Kept eating it that way and no problems. I've narrowed the problem to raw onions. I always use to put raw onion in the tuna salad but left it out for the kids. After years of eating raw onions with other things as well, I realize they are the culprit so I am careful to not eat anything with raw onion in it. I NEVER eat tuna anywhere but at home that I have prepared.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.