Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to share this with anyone else who missed this bit of important info...Since Lotronex was withdrawn, I have gone back to all of my old ineffective attempts to control my D.I've been taking lots of Immodium and the cost is getting out of hand. I've tried some generics, and last week bought a different generic brand. I had 5 full days of being unable to leave my apartment only to realize that it may be the brand. Went to the BB in a desperate search for some help and support, and found a post that said IMMODIUM IS AVAILABLE AS A GENERIC PRESCRIPTION.I live in NYC where Immodium (Advanced) is $7.49 for 18 tablets (this could be 3-5 day supply for me) and I was able to get a prescription of 180 tablets (not advanced) for $5.00!!!And, yes, once I began taking loperamide from my very reliable pharmacist, my life is almost back to normal. (Also, a big fat thanks to my doctor for not informing me of this.)So, beware of generic brands, and save $$$ with a prescription1

·
Registered
79 Posts
That only works if your insurance company will allow prescriptions to be filled when the med is available over the counter. Mine will not, even if I agree to pay for it myself because everything has to go through them. My doctor will not even bother to write a prescription for it. I am NOT on in HMO.I sympathize with the cost because I pay the same amount and have sworn I have been keeping the company in business. Also found that the store's generic OTC did not work as well as Imodium AD. There should be no difference.Rhea

·
Registered
79 Posts
That only works if your insurance company will allow prescriptions to be filled when the med is available over the counter. Mine will not, even if I agree to pay for it myself because everything has to go through them. My doctor will not even bother to write a prescription for it. I am NOT on in HMO.I sympathize with the cost because I pay the same amount and have sworn I have been keeping the company in business. Also found that the store's generic OTC did not work as well as Imodium AD. There should be no difference.Rhea

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yup, I'm keeping them in business also and agree that the price in NYC is outrageous but if you need it, you need it! I've tried the stores brand also (Duane Reade & Walgreens) but found that they didn't work nearly as well.I'm with Express-Scripts and will try and see if I can fill a prescription with them. After Lotronex my MD put me on Levbid but I'm finding that Immodium works much better.Thanks for the tip! Anna

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yup, I'm keeping them in business also and agree that the price in NYC is outrageous but if you need it, you need it! I've tried the stores brand also (Duane Reade & Walgreens) but found that they didn't work nearly as well.I'm with Express-Scripts and will try and see if I can fill a prescription with them. After Lotronex my MD put me on Levbid but I'm finding that Immodium works much better.Thanks for the tip! Anna

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yea thanks for that info, i live in England and take Immodium quite a lot to control my IBS "D" but i have to pay like $8 for 12 tablets so i will see if i can get my doc to prescribe me the alternative, thanks again you may just have saved me a fortune.Rob

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yea thanks for that info, i live in England and take Immodium quite a lot to control my IBS "D" but i have to pay like $8 for 12 tablets so i will see if i can get my doc to prescribe me the alternative, thanks again you may just have saved me a fortune.Rob

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow...I will ask my doc. I live in NJ, so the cost is high for me as well. And beleive me..I dont go out of the house without Immodium. Also, I went to the drs last week and she told me to try to take an Immodium every day. I will see if this helps or not, I am IBS D. But alsao, its very expensive to take it everyday!!! I will check it out..thanks so much.------------------

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow...I will ask my doc. I live in NJ, so the cost is high for me as well. And beleive me..I dont go out of the house without Immodium. Also, I went to the drs last week and she told me to try to take an Immodium every day. I will see if this helps or not, I am IBS D. But alsao, its very expensive to take it everyday!!! I will check it out..thanks so much.------------------

·
Registered
766 Posts
I use generic Immodium all the time. I only buy name brand if I'm in a pinch and that's the only thing available. I usually end up with Wal-Mart's brand, Equate, or Kmart's, American Fare. But I've used MANY different store brands over the years, and have never noticed any difference. I use other generic drugs all the time too.Perhaps some of you are used to taking Immodium Advanced or some other form of Immodium that works faster or has some other added ingredient? I have noticed NO difference between generic and the plain old Immodium AD, which was the only kind available when my bouts with D started. I've continued taking the generics as Immodium has come out with different formulations.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I use generic Immodium all the time. I only buy name brand if I'm in a pinch and that's the only thing available. I usually end up with Wal-Mart's brand, Equate, or Kmart's, American Fare. But I've used MANY different store brands over the years, and have never noticed any difference. I use other generic drugs all the time too.Perhaps some of you are used to taking Immodium Advanced or some other form of Immodium that works faster or has some other added ingredient? I have noticed NO difference between generic and the plain old Immodium AD, which was the only kind available when my bouts with D started. I've continued taking the generics as Immodium has come out with different formulations.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Is there anyone out there who must take many immodium a day. I mean I could be out for a few hours and have to down 5 or 6. My doctor told me I can be on immodium for the rest of my life. Does this seem right? I am going to try the caltrate 600 as I return to teaching next month and must be okay every single day.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Is there anyone out there who must take many immodium a day. I mean I could be out for a few hours and have to down 5 or 6. My doctor told me I can be on immodium for the rest of my life. Does this seem right? I am going to try the caltrate 600 as I return to teaching next month and must be okay every single day.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes, I take Imodium every day and my doctor does not seem to be concerned about Imodium. Ranges between four to eight pills, depending on what kind of day it is. I am not under any stress because I am retired and do not have to be anywhere at a certain time every day. Different kinds of food really don't seem to be a factor.I hope the Caltrate (without magnesium)works for you. There have been many positive postings about it. It didn't work for me .... in fact, I ended up running to the bathroom so much I felt like I was getting dehydrated.Basically, I want Lotronex back on the market!! That worked.Rhea

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes, I take Imodium every day and my doctor does not seem to be concerned about Imodium. Ranges between four to eight pills, depending on what kind of day it is. I am not under any stress because I am retired and do not have to be anywhere at a certain time every day. Different kinds of food really don't seem to be a factor.I hope the Caltrate (without magnesium)works for you. There have been many positive postings about it. It didn't work for me .... in fact, I ended up running to the bathroom so much I felt like I was getting dehydrated.Basically, I want Lotronex back on the market!! That worked.Rhea

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I used to take 2 Immodium when I got D. (or felt it coming) and then as many more as I needed to get it under control. I found it to be a pretty ineffective drug.Then I had Lotronex which was a dream come true, then back to 'life after lotronex' which was a nightmare.I started taking 1-2 immodium every morning, and 1-2 every night - and I have to say it seems to be much more effective as a preventive measure than as a remedy. It's not perfect but it has helped. Of course, some days I take more as needed. And my doctor thinks it's fine to take every day.I tried calium (and still take it for my bones) but it had no effect on my D.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I used to take 2 Immodium when I got D. (or felt it coming) and then as many more as I needed to get it under control. I found it to be a pretty ineffective drug.Then I had Lotronex which was a dream come true, then back to 'life after lotronex' which was a nightmare.I started taking 1-2 immodium every morning, and 1-2 every night - and I have to say it seems to be much more effective as a preventive measure than as a remedy. It's not perfect but it has helped. Of course, some days I take more as needed. And my doctor thinks it's fine to take every day.I tried calium (and still take it for my bones) but it had no effect on my D.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I checked with Express-Scripts today and yes, they will fill a prescription for Loperamide (Imodium)if the doctor writes it as such and makes it out for 90 days. Hurray! I've been taking 2-4 per day, as a preventive, and so having a prescription will save quite a bit. I have an appt. with my Gastro tomorrow so I hope she doesn't have a problem with writing out a prescription. (She's the one who told me to take 2 a day or alternate with Levbid (which gives me major blurred vision)) Anna

·
Registered
87 Posts
I checked with Express-Scripts today and yes, they will fill a prescription for Loperamide (Imodium)if the doctor writes it as such and makes it out for 90 days. Hurray! I've been taking 2-4 per day, as a preventive, and so having a prescription will save quite a bit. I have an appt. with my Gastro tomorrow so I hope she doesn't have a problem with writing out a prescription. (She's the one who told me to take 2 a day or alternate with Levbid (which gives me major blurred vision)) Anna

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.