Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally saw the GI doc and, as I thought he would, he lectured me about what IBS is and that even though I don't have a C or D problem, IBS can cause spasms anywhere along the digestive tract from throat to anus and that right now the spasms for me are in my throat. He said that since I have been on Nexium and other PPI's for over a month, he is quite certain that I am having a reaction to a very minute amount of acid. People with IBS seem to have a more acute "awareness" of irritations in the gut system, and that they use mild doses of antidepressants to combat the "suspected role" of serotonin as a cause of the spasms. SO, now I'm back on 25mg of Elavil once at night (not an effective dose for depression, he said, but just enough to quell the nerve response in my esophagus). I don't like taking antidepressants since I am far from being depressed, but I said I'd give it a try. It's been about 11 days now and although the crushing, burning pain in my chest has been alleviated, mostly, I have in the past several days developed a new, more funky problem. I am suffering from what seems to be a chronic case of the Gags. I mean, I'll be sitting there and all of a sudden I feel like there's something in my throat and I'll gag as if I was going to regurgitate or something. Usually it's only a slight gagging feeling but sometimes it feels as if I will actually up-chuck! What is UP with this??? Can anyone relate? I don't feel like I have a lump in my throat, necessarily, but kind of like there's hair or something stuck in the back of my throat, or sometimes that my tongue is too big, or that I have just stuck a finger down my throat (something I've never even been tempted to do). I am quite emetophobic so this is very distressful.The doc said it would take my body about 2 weeks to adjust to the new serotonin levels and that during the adjustment time I may feel worse. Well he was right, because this gagging is definately worse than the heartburn that wasn't heartburn! (He called it non-erosive esophogeal spasms caused by IBS). Then he wrote my Rx for the Elavil, gave me a brochure on how to combat stress, and sent me on my way with instructions to come back in 4 or 5 weeks. ***sigh*** This Elavil is totally constipating me, but even that I don't mind as much as the gagging feeling.Can anyone help????

G

·
Im not on any medication or anything , but tonight im having a huge problem with my throat as well. Feels like a have a huge lump in it .Im actually feeling strange all over.I took some olive oil today during my dinner to see if that would help my body acids while i eat. Im not sure if this has anything to do with the way my throat feels. This is a new one for me ....

G

·
Im not on any medication or anything , but tonight im having a huge problem with my throat as well. Feels like a have a huge lump in it .Im actually feeling strange all over.I took some olive oil today during my dinner to see if that would help my body acids while i eat. Im not sure if this has anything to do with the way my throat feels. This is a new one for me ....

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It doesn't really feel like a big lump, more like there is something small and dry or maybe hairy (???) stuck to the back of my throat, making me gag every so often. I can't really explain it, it just has me flummoxed!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesn't really feel like a big lump, more like there is something small and dry or maybe hairy (???) stuck to the back of my throat, making me gag every so often. I can't really explain it, it just has me flummoxed!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Oh my did you have to mention the hairy feeling? I haven't felt that in a long time but I think now I'm having sympathy hairy throat feeling for ya.
What a horrible feeling that is & so much I went and grab an old remedy that always worked for me. Green olives and now their stuck in my throat. Gag.
Anyway this has been discussed in here before although I don't think anyone has figured it out yet. But it does seem to revolve around dehydration for most of us. Good luck in finding what works for you!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Oh my did you have to mention the hairy feeling? I haven't felt that in a long time but I think now I'm having sympathy hairy throat feeling for ya.
What a horrible feeling that is & so much I went and grab an old remedy that always worked for me. Green olives and now their stuck in my throat. Gag.
Anyway this has been discussed in here before although I don't think anyone has figured it out yet. But it does seem to revolve around dehydration for most of us. Good luck in finding what works for you!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi. I just started Elavil myself and have extremely dry mouth which is one of the known side effects. Could that be it since Imagica mentioned dehydration, could be. You may try some lemon and water to wash that feeling away or a gargle of salted water? Anyway, you mentioned that you were constipated so I hope you don't mind me asking you a couple of questions. When did the C kick in for you? I've been taking the Elavil for 6 days and my D is worse! My Dr. also said it would take 2-3 weeks before I'd feel better. I also am not "depressed" although I'm gettin' there with this D! Also, did you have the grogginess and if so has it worn off yet and about when did that happen. Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi. I just started Elavil myself and have extremely dry mouth which is one of the known side effects. Could that be it since Imagica mentioned dehydration, could be. You may try some lemon and water to wash that feeling away or a gargle of salted water? Anyway, you mentioned that you were constipated so I hope you don't mind me asking you a couple of questions. When did the C kick in for you? I've been taking the Elavil for 6 days and my D is worse! My Dr. also said it would take 2-3 weeks before I'd feel better. I also am not "depressed" although I'm gettin' there with this D! Also, did you have the grogginess and if so has it worn off yet and about when did that happen. Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Debbie, I have been on elavil for a little less than 2 weeks. The first 2 or 3 days it put me out fast, like within 20 minutes I was sleeping and very groggy all the next day. The grogginess has tapered off since then but I do still feel a little sleepy all day long. The constipation kicked in about a week into it, I'd gone 3 days with no BM and this morning I passed two small "bunnies" so I guess I'm on day 4. Ack! By far the worst feeling is this gagging-type feeling in my throat. I've tried several ways to get rid of it but nothing seems to help. It waxes and wanes every half an hour or so. I've tried food, liquids, and popsicles. I guess I will try the lemon gargle and perhaps the olives, although olives aren't really one of my favorite foods. I'm almost wishing I would have an attack of D right now I'm so backed up! My doc also said that it would take a couple of weeks before it really starts to work and that during that time I may feel a little bit worse. It does seem to be helping with the crushing pain so the spasms in my esophagus must be lessening but this "nausea in the throat while my tummy feels fine" thing is just weird! I left a message for my GI doc this morning so hopefully he can explain what it is when the nurse calls me back this afternoon.[This message has been edited by WD40 (edited 07-05-2001).]

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Debbie, I have been on elavil for a little less than 2 weeks. The first 2 or 3 days it put me out fast, like within 20 minutes I was sleeping and very groggy all the next day. The grogginess has tapered off since then but I do still feel a little sleepy all day long. The constipation kicked in about a week into it, I'd gone 3 days with no BM and this morning I passed two small "bunnies" so I guess I'm on day 4. Ack! By far the worst feeling is this gagging-type feeling in my throat. I've tried several ways to get rid of it but nothing seems to help. It waxes and wanes every half an hour or so. I've tried food, liquids, and popsicles. I guess I will try the lemon gargle and perhaps the olives, although olives aren't really one of my favorite foods. I'm almost wishing I would have an attack of D right now I'm so backed up! My doc also said that it would take a couple of weeks before it really starts to work and that during that time I may feel a little bit worse. It does seem to be helping with the crushing pain so the spasms in my esophagus must be lessening but this "nausea in the throat while my tummy feels fine" thing is just weird! I left a message for my GI doc this morning so hopefully he can explain what it is when the nurse calls me back this afternoon.[This message has been edited by WD40 (edited 07-05-2001).]

·
Registered
568 Posts
WD40-thanks for your input. I guess I'll hang in there. I know it sounds crazy but C sounds real good to me right now. Are you taking metamucil or anything like that? That helped when I was taking Lotronex for the first time. As for the gagging thing, I sure hope that stops-that would drive me nuts. Olives don't sound good to me either. Hope you find the answer.

·
Registered
568 Posts
WD40-thanks for your input. I guess I'll hang in there. I know it sounds crazy but C sounds real good to me right now. Are you taking metamucil or anything like that? That helped when I was taking Lotronex for the first time. As for the gagging thing, I sure hope that stops-that would drive me nuts. Olives don't sound good to me either. Hope you find the answer.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
WD40, since I have sinus allergies I can suggest things for your throat. The first thing is, maybe there actually is something in your throat? Have you tried coughing it up? That's not as nasty as it sounds once you get used to it.Do cough drops or hard candy help at all? I like cherry-mint Ricola best. You could suck on those all day if necessary.Cammomile tea is also real good. In addition to the soothing effect of the hot liquid, it's good for the sinuses.Good luck

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
WD40, since I have sinus allergies I can suggest things for your throat. The first thing is, maybe there actually is something in your throat? Have you tried coughing it up? That's not as nasty as it sounds once you get used to it.Do cough drops or hard candy help at all? I like cherry-mint Ricola best. You could suck on those all day if necessary.Cammomile tea is also real good. In addition to the soothing effect of the hot liquid, it's good for the sinuses.Good luck

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Julia, the only thing that seems to stop the gagging feeling is Altoids, but the peppermint usually gives me heartburn so I try to avoid them. I tried the olives and it did help a little, but then the "hairy" feeling came back. I also tried Werthers, yummy and buttery and sweet, but they don't help at all. And yes, though I am not much of a hocker, I did try to hock up whatever may be stuck in there. I figured if bread, liquids, olives, and popsicles don't wash away whatever might be in there, that perhaps there's nothing in there. I'm starting to think it's a scratch or something from the tortilla chips I was eating last week. It's so annoying, but even then I'll take the hairy feeling over the gagging feeling any day of the week
. The gagging episodes do seem to be coming farther and farther apart so maybe by next week or so it'll stop happening.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Julia, the only thing that seems to stop the gagging feeling is Altoids, but the peppermint usually gives me heartburn so I try to avoid them. I tried the olives and it did help a little, but then the "hairy" feeling came back. I also tried Werthers, yummy and buttery and sweet, but they don't help at all. And yes, though I am not much of a hocker, I did try to hock up whatever may be stuck in there. I figured if bread, liquids, olives, and popsicles don't wash away whatever might be in there, that perhaps there's nothing in there. I'm starting to think it's a scratch or something from the tortilla chips I was eating last week. It's so annoying, but even then I'll take the hairy feeling over the gagging feeling any day of the week
. The gagging episodes do seem to be coming farther and farther apart so maybe by next week or so it'll stop happening.

·
Registered
922 Posts
One of the most common side effects of many of the meds is dry or gagging throat. It will pass when your system gets used to it. Sounds like some good suggestions have been made to help. My worst time was early in the morning when waking. Good luck, Norb

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.