Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on and off this board for the past two years and I finally saw a GI today.He tested me for Celiac Disease.I have been having major problems with wheat, not only this, but with processed foods (which some may contain gluten). He told me that many Celiac's are diagnosed with IBS and that gluten intolerance could be the underlying culprit.I was relatively gluten-free (somewhat by coincidence) for about ten months and felt better than ever. At the time, I was prescribed Paxil, so my family thought that it was all in my head. After a while I started to reintroduce the foods that seemed to have an effect on me and make me gassy (wheat, bread, pasta, etc), and that was it. My symptoms slowly, but surely and steadily returned after a long time of feeling great. I thought it was just an episode. It wasn't. I may very well have gluten sensitivity. If you haven't already done so, try cutting out wheat from your diet. Even if you don't have CD, it is listed as one of the top 7 allergans in adults today. Some are more sensitive to it than others. I find out the test results in a week. I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In order to be diagnosed you should have ingested wheat, but after a diagnosis, you should avoid all forms of wheat (all pastas, cakes, cookies, crackers, cereals), but it's not limited to wheat. It includes gluten which can be found in many processed foods disguised with names like "malt" or "natural flavoring" and others. Because of this complexity, it is very difficult for Celiacs to eat. Everything must be gluten-free (not just wheat free). Pasta must be made from rice or corn flour (not wheat). Rice is a very good substitute.The diet is basically "fresh and healthy". Avoid processed foods (as they most likely contain gluten). Eat fresh foods: fruits, vegetables, meat, fish, chicken, some cheeses (some are tolerable), rice, and special gluten-free breads from health stores.Because it is a diet for life (there's no cure), it's a lifestyle not to be taken lightly. It's best to be diagnosed prior to beginning this diet. You can find out more at celiac.com

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
BubblesI just wanted to say how much better I have felt after take control of the things I was eating..It is like I am a new person now...It is hard to believe that different things we eat can do so much hardship on our bodies....It only took me 40 years to figure it out and I certainly didnt figure it out by myself

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.