Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Could either of you explain to me what the specific carbohydrate diet is??I'm studying to be a dietitian (one year left!!) so I'm really interested to hear about different diets and the reasoning behind them!Thanks
Polly

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As I said, I haven't read the book yet, but from what I learned on the Internet, SCD is a grain-free, lactose-free, and sucrose-free program supposedly helpful for those with Chrohn's, Ulcerative Colitis, Celiac Disease, and IBD and IBS. From what I understood, simple carbohydrates that require no further breaking down in the digestive tract will be absorbed completely in the first segment of the small intestine. When there is incomplete breakdown of complex carbohydreates, they arrive undigested in the later sections of the small intestine, and colon where they feed bacteria and yeast and can lead to more serious malabsorption of nutrients. The SCD is supposed to correct malabsorption allowing nutrients to enter the bloodstream where they are made available to cells of the body and so strengthening the immune system's ability to fight illness. You can find more information on this at www.scdiet.orgGood luck in your studies. We need more good nutritionists in this world.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I tried this diet about a year ago. I lost a ton of weight but it did not help my IBS. That's not to say that it won't help yours as we are all different. My problem seems to be in fat intake and it's very hard to eat low fat and be on a no carb diet at the same time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just received the book, and am going to start reading tonight. I probably will give it a try. They say you have to really follow it rigidly for it to be a success. I'll let you know in a month or two how it's working. I'm sure it doesn't work for everyone, as you say, we're all different, but I'm willing to try anything reasonable at this point.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I understand the concept of the SCD but what I don't understand is how some of the allowed foods which also are high in fiber are broken down in the small intestine, like peas, nuts, apples. I thought that those foods which have high fiber don't break down early and thus produce bulk in the large intestine, which is supposed to be good for the colon, for IBS, etc. Isn't that supposed to be the benefit of high fiber foods -to produce bulk?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.