Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All -I'm new and have been watching for a while and decided to voice my persoanl anxiety and expereinces. First a little history...I have had IBS-like symptoms, off and on, for the last 10 years. I flared up during my wifes pregnancies with our two boys, some during college, and then when my father passed a few years ago. Those episodes lasted several weeks to several months - however, they seemed to go away on their own.However, about 6 months ago it started again. Smptoms: rabbit-like BMS, abdominal pains (lower left, and up high), gas (all the time). This time it wont stop. I have some good days, but at least 2-3 bad days per week. How oftern does everybody elese suffer ? It's not unbearable, but just darn annoying. Mine is the D-type as I have several small-BM's a day. Notice a great deal of mucous from time to time as well - is this bad ??I worry sometimes about a mis diagnosis? My doctor has told me on several occassions that its classic IBS. Are their any alarms signs to watch that would indicate cancer ?? I have never had blood, can run (and do run) about 6 miles a day (no problems with fatigue), and my wieght goes up, instead of down.However, I am, what my wife calls, a excessive worry wart. I worry about big things and small; it doesnt matter. I often find things to worry about when I find myself not worrying - if this makes sense. This is all really starting to get the best of me. I have tried fiber supplements in different forms but they just seem to give me more gas and the runs.If this is going to be a life-long thing (I am 36) how can I learn to cope. I does help knowing there are others since I dont like to talk about this to my family.Any words of wisdom, similar stories, or other help would be greatly appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Welcome to the board I think you will find there are lots of us with same symptoms and anxieties as you I know I am an excessive worrier myself and all it does is make the IBS worse I went thru over a yr of panic attacks and still have them just not often I have learned to ignore them. Your symptoms will back off some if you can learn not to worry so much and I know its hard not to. I am learning to live with fact for now the drs dont know what it is so I am just living different and making attitude changes and eating adjustments these have helped me more than the meds. Keep the ol chin up and read what everybody else has been thru and you will start seeing you are not alone in this.------------------Peter

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the group! Not a great "club" to belong to is it, but I think you will find it's members quite sensitive to your problems. We all care for one another in a great way and are always trying to find ways to help one another. Keep checking out some of the other posts and I hope you find some answers that will help. Afraid I can't give you any as I am still mystified by all this pain and agony myself. Best of luck to you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, eloomis, welcome. I haven't been on this board too long (only a couple weeks) but just being able to talk about my IBS with others who really understand has helped me feel a lot better.I can relate to much of what you said. I also have D type, bearable, but a huge annoyance, and always at the wrong time. (Of course, is there ever a right time?) But I go to work every day, and refuse to stop living because of this (like you with your running). I take calcium, and Levsin for stomach cramps. You don't say if you've had any testing done, but that's the only way to screen out cancer or other more drastic problems. (I'm a big talker, aren't I; I refused to have a colonoscopy.) If you aren't sure about your doctor's diagnosis, have you tried getting a second opinion?I'm also convinced my IBS is mostly from stress, so I'm working on ways to relax and not worry so much, not let other people push my buttons, and so on. It helps to try and keep a sense of humor, and this board helps immensely.So hang in there, and keep coming back. We all understand...
[This message has been edited by LMB (edited 01-16-99).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well eloomis..For everyone there are different triggers..Mine I am almost positive is not stress..I am a constant worry wart.. I was on Prozac and Ativan for about one year.. That has a way of keeping you quite subdued.. Still had as many problems.. Currently I am suffering 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. And it has been going on for about 1 month now. I remember having IBS since I was 15.. Ask your parents though, my mother said ever since I was a baby I had bowel problems..swung from C to D. The longest I ever suffered was for a year straight after my daughter was born. Then I went on the Prozac and it kicked it into relax mode for about a week..then back to the same old. Some years have been better then others. I think one very important thing is to realize and come to terms that for many many IBS sufferers this is a life-long ordeal. They still know soo little about it. But from people that I have talked to they say that you just have to come to terms with it. I think that they should go back to refering to it as Irritable Bowel Disease.. that is what it is. I went to a seminar on it and even the doctors there had the same opinion. If we were able to tell people that we had a disease then maybe we would get some dignity out of all of this. My best friend has Crohn's Disease and the symptoms are very similar between the two of us...except she can go to someones house and say "Oh sorry I have Crohn's and can't eat that" and people just sort of understand. With IBS they act like you are a hypochondriac!!Learn to cope the best you can...Find YOUR triggers...Get a crutch...(Immodium is mine) and lean on it whenever you can...When you get out of the public washroom and the place reeeeeks just laugh and say boy that guy has some bad gas eh!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.