Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive had ibs type symptoms for about 3 years now but just recently they have got worse, to the point where im unable to go out of the house without needing the loo, i seem to be taking more loperamide than usual and also about 12 hours after taking it i am getting very sharp pains in the bottom right hand side of my tummy. i have only given 1 stool sample to the doctor but they found nothing and was treated some time ago for h pylori, i had a weeks course of tablets, i have also had zantac for a few weeks with little effect, for the past 3 years i have had a constant bloated feeling on the right hand side of my belly, i have also had blood tests which found nothing. would they have found any trace of cancer in a stool or blood test?and what are my chances im only 27.thanks for listening im absolutely petrified and the doctor seems to have no urgency with the situation .

·
Registered
984 Posts
Hi Paul762. I know how you feel. My symptoms have got a lot worse over the past year (I've had IBS for 19yrs). I would think it highly unlikely that at your age it would be cancer. I think you have every right though to insist your Dr. sends you for further tests. I'm always reading that although IBS does not cause cancer, any change in symptoms should be investigated. They seem to be a bit slow on that here in the UK.Next time you visit your Dr. insist that you want further tests - at least it will put your mind at rest.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi peardrops , thankyou for the advice, the doctor asked me about having a camera down my throat , but i just cant go through with it, i cant help it and i cant stand even being near a hospital, went to doctors on 14th got to do more blood tests on 21st then have another appointment on 28th , surely they can find what they are looking for without me going to hospital. i hate this so much ive almost give up.dont think i could cope for as long as you have.

·
Registered
984 Posts
So sorry that you're having such a bad time. I've had many of those in the past 19yrs. It can really get you down. I've had quite a few tests done over the years. I absolutely hate hospitals, just the thought of going sends my symptoms through the roof. One thing I have found is, it's never as bad as you think it is going to be. It's been many years since I last had a check to confirm IBS (sigmoidoscopy). The worry of wondering if all is OK, I think is far greater than going for a test. Try and pluck up the courage and have whatever test the Dr. suggests. Just think of the benefits - no more worrying about what is wrong with you. You might find that your symptoms ease once you have a definite diagnosis.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The only way to make sure you don't have cancer or another non-IBS but very treatable problem is to have the scopes your doctor is suggesting. Colonoscopies are no fun, but think what a relief it would be to know that you are OK!!!
And you are sedated for the procedure.It could be your doctor's "no urgency" is because he knows the next step is to do a colonoscopy and/or upper endoscopy and you are not willing to do that.With the pain from the Imodium, that could be because you are taking so much. Some of us get that pain from it, or rebound diarrhea when it wears off. For me the solution was to cut back on my usage and only use it when I really needed it and in the lowest dose possible.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi Paul.i have had symptoms suggestive of IBS for about 4- 5 years now. I work in the medical field and know the tests and symptoms. I have had several biopsies of small bowel and had Two Colonscopies about 3-4 years ago when symptoms where persisted for a while. the procedure is painless as your given midazolam and you can't remember what happened let alone any pain. The prep is worse for me than the procedure. U have to drink 4ls of a drink to clear ur insides..that for most people is easy but I gte very queasy when i drink a lot of fluid.anwyway they didn't find anything at the time.Now 2 yrs later I'm having another Colonoscopy in 10 days, just to finally set my mind at rest.I;m so bad that even one mouthfull of toast, bread, etc can make me D for 2 days. My bland diet of rice and meat has driven me nuts but what else can I do......In the end its best knowing whatever it is and getting it sorted.....Dont take any BS from Docs about its in ur mind.... believe me even though I'm in the same field..it took a lot of convincing for Docs to refer for tests.....I would ask for stool tests(ova,parasites first), the occult test, ESR etc, markers of inflammation..enzymes etc...Docs will know. The best way is Colonoscopy or endoscopy...since they are definitive....there is a capsule endscopy available...maybe on Private...Just keep bugging ur Docs and get the tests done...don't woory about Cancer...I'm only a few years older than you too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was scared last year, when I had such severe pain. Apparently I don't have cancer Thank God.I worried alot because my father died of cancer. It was bladder, not colon, but still, he was only 56 and Im 36. One way, my sisters and I have helped our anxiety over geting cancer is whenever we have a new "symptom" or pain we call each other and say "I have the cancer of the day" I know that probably sounds morbid but it has helped trying to have a sense of humor.Your probably okay. I guess this IBS is bad stuff. I have been saying "oh its just IBS" now I'm saying its JUST ibs.Summer

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thankyou very much for all your replies, but no matter which way i think about it i cant go through with the tests, in the uk i dont think they heavily sedate you for either of these tests, i would be willing to accept a capsule endoscopy as this seems alot less evasive, but i know for sure i would not be able to drink 4l of fluid, this last two weeks my symptoms seem to have gotten a bit worse, im starting to get severe back ache on the side that my tummy feels inflammed, im also more tired than usual, i used to be an early bird and rise about 7/8am but now im lucky if i wake before 11am, i tried a fybogel for the first time yesterday and it has stopped the D but all other symptoms are the same.thankyou all once againwish you all good health for the futurepaul.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I know of three people who have recently had endoscopies done and one had colonoscopy. All of them were heavily sedated, they couldn't remember anything of the procedure. Talk over your fears with your Dr. and have the tests done.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Paul, you CAN go through with the tests. I did, and so did most of the people on this board. It's not that bad, really, and think of what a relief it will be to get a clean bill of health!! Or for them to find out what is wrong and be able to effectively treat it!
BTW, there are various prep methods. I couldn't drink the gallon of vile fluid either (but I gave it a good go until I puked it all up!) so they gave me a different prep next time. There are many options available to get ready for the test, and I wish I had known what I know now when my doc prescribed that horrible drink. There are phospho-sodas that involve drinking less, pills, laxatives and enema combos, etc. and that is in the US, so you might have different options available where you are.Depression and fatigue can go along with IBS. I think finding out you are OK will be a real load off your mind. And there are some other things you can try, but first you have to have that test done and get a clean bill of health!

·
Registered
709 Posts
paul,i had an endoscopy done (here in canada). they didn't sedate me, but it wasn't at all painful! seriously, it was a little uncomfortable and i had some extra gas afterwards, but other than that...i think the worst part was that i had this nice looking, young doctor giving the test! haha. sorry, i know this matter is really serious to you, just trying to lighten things up a bit!just think, will you feel worse not doing the tests and dwelling on what could be wrong or doing the tests and knowing exactly what is wrong and then maybe being able to fix it?? get someone supportive to go to the hospital with you--give you moral support, etc.good lucksadone

·
Registered
133 Posts
Paul762, I am a physician that specializes in treating IBS. Let me say at the outset that there is no way that I would ever encourage anyone NOT to have any tests done. That being said, you have another choice that you don't know about. I will also say that the chances of cancer in such a young person is rare, very rare!What if you tried an alternative therapy for a few weeks and your symptoms started to get better? Would that lower your anxiety about cancer?I have an article availabe on the internet at www.drdahlman.com that describes my entire protocol for the treatment of ANY uncomfortable symptoms associated with your gastro-intestinal system. Please read it and follow the dietary suggestions there and go to a pharmacy in the UK and get some probiotics (acidophilus and bifidus). Try that for a while and I'm always available to any of you for e-mail questions or quick phone calls. If you need any other products, you can get them from the US.I have a rather large discussion going on in a thread called "Dr Dahlman's Patient". Some people are beating me up and others are my patients, reporting their experiences with my protocol. You should not suffer, I am able to help almost everyone that reads my article. Let me know and I would also appreciate any questions or comments to be directed to me at the other thread so I don't have to deal with too many threads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.