Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!Went to the GI doctor this week, the first thing he wants to do is endoscopy? Is that weird? would that be the first thing ordered out of all tests? He said I have very non descript symptoms which don't point to just one thing, so this is neceserry. I'm a little afraid, can anyone reasure me on this procedure, and tell me their expirience???Thanks,Lem

·
Registered
194 Posts
Same thing happened to me - I originally presented with general abdominal discomfort, some nausea and bouts of diarrhoea. Along with blood & stool tests, the first investigation was an endoscopy. (From what I remember it doesn't take long and isn't too uncomfortable - I think they numb the throat beforehand). The colonoscopy came later - again quite manageable, the worst thing is the fasting & preparation!I'm sure you'll be OK.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Same thing happened to me - I originally presented with general abdominal discomfort, some nausea and bouts of diarrhoea. Along with blood & stool tests, the first investigation was an endoscopy. (From what I remember it doesn't take long and isn't too uncomfortable - I think they numb the throat beforehand). The colonoscopy came later - again quite manageable, the worst thing is the fasting & preparation!I'm sure you'll be OK.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
It wont be bad they put me to sleep for the whole thing...I dont remember them even doing it...The next thing I remember was them calling my name. I was really tired for the rest of the day because of the drugs they give you...

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
It wont be bad they put me to sleep for the whole thing...I dont remember them even doing it...The next thing I remember was them calling my name. I was really tired for the rest of the day because of the drugs they give you...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lem,Do not worry about the endoscopy procedure. I just had it done and it was nothing. The physician will spray your throat a couple of times with a novacaine spray. Immediately after, you will be knocked out with an intravenous medication. I don't remember a thing after that. I did not have a sore throat nor did I have any other after-effects. I will say that the next day my recollection of being released from the hospital was non existent. Get the testing done, you will be glad you did in the end. This will help your doctor get a complete picture and not misdiagnosis your condition.Mimigmc

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lem,Do not worry about the endoscopy procedure. I just had it done and it was nothing. The physician will spray your throat a couple of times with a novacaine spray. Immediately after, you will be knocked out with an intravenous medication. I don't remember a thing after that. I did not have a sore throat nor did I have any other after-effects. I will say that the next day my recollection of being released from the hospital was non existent. Get the testing done, you will be glad you did in the end. This will help your doctor get a complete picture and not misdiagnosis your condition.Mimigmc

·
Registered
410 Posts
Lem:I've had 3 or 4 endoscopies. The first one, with the old fixed scope was just dreadful -- like swallowing a broom stick.The procedure they do now is a breeze. I really have very little recollection of it because I was out for it. I found that the air the they put in so they could look at the intestine was uncomfortable, but that's about it.echris

·
Registered
410 Posts
Lem:I've had 3 or 4 endoscopies. The first one, with the old fixed scope was just dreadful -- like swallowing a broom stick.The procedure they do now is a breeze. I really have very little recollection of it because I was out for it. I found that the air the they put in so they could look at the intestine was uncomfortable, but that's about it.echris

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have had 5. The lst 3 were the old type, I was not asleep and they were horrible, (that was over 10 years ago.) The last two, done in recent years were a breeze. I didn't even know what was going on. Have it, you'll feel much afterwards!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have had 5. The lst 3 were the old type, I was not asleep and they were horrible, (that was over 10 years ago.) The last two, done in recent years were a breeze. I didn't even know what was going on. Have it, you'll feel much afterwards!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I have had 2 endoscopies in the past 2 years. I was terrified, but I have to tell you that they were both a piece of cake! So easy and I didn't feel or remember a thing.Good luck and let us know how it went!Stacey

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I have had 2 endoscopies in the past 2 years. I was terrified, but I have to tell you that they were both a piece of cake! So easy and I didn't feel or remember a thing.Good luck and let us know how it went!Stacey

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you to all of you that have posted! You have no idea how much better I feel about it. I just want to know what's wrong with me, and I thought it would be something like this that would tell me, I knew it was going to happen. I think I just needed to hear that other people have "been there, done that". I will be thinking of what you all have said Wednesday morning, when I go in to the GI lab, and it will comfort me. Thanks again!!!!!LemP.S. You know what really funny is, that ever since he ordered the endoscopy, I haven't felt any of my IBS symptoms. Just gone over night. It's like my stomache is playing games or something? Or is it my mind??? Weird.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you to all of you that have posted! You have no idea how much better I feel about it. I just want to know what's wrong with me, and I thought it would be something like this that would tell me, I knew it was going to happen. I think I just needed to hear that other people have "been there, done that". I will be thinking of what you all have said Wednesday morning, when I go in to the GI lab, and it will comfort me. Thanks again!!!!!LemP.S. You know what really funny is, that ever since he ordered the endoscopy, I haven't felt any of my IBS symptoms. Just gone over night. It's like my stomache is playing games or something? Or is it my mind??? Weird.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Don't even worry about it. I've had one with a colonoscopy. I don't remember anything about the endoscopy since I was out for that part but woke during the colonoscopy. You won't know anything until you wake and there is no pain after.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Don't even worry about it. I've had one with a colonoscopy. I don't remember anything about the endoscopy since I was out for that part but woke during the colonoscopy. You won't know anything until you wake and there is no pain after.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Lem,I can remember several years when I had mine done and I was terrified to the point that I put it off for almost a year. I saw the video in the Dr.'s office and that was it for me. I will tell you honestly...I can be a big chicken and worry like crazy and if they told that I had to have one tomorrow I would not be afraid. They will give you a little something to relax you and won't feel or remember anything. I had a driver because of the sedation and right after the test I felt great.... We went right to the mall shopping. No kidding!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.