·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Smoking sometimes promote BM.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Spas, I smoked a pack and a half for 25 years. I have not had a cig in a year. One of the reasons I quit was thinking maybe it would help with my IBS. There is NO difference. I really don;t think smoking has any affect.

·
Banned
415 Posts
spas, i just quit, one month wednesday gone. i feel better for it. I used to smoke to empty myself so i could leave the house so i know what you mean aboput being scared to stop. I find my body is working better on its own now. Most peeps on here said it made no difference to their ibs, so i guess i am one of the lucky ones. You may be too! It mucked up my system to begin with, as you would expect coming off a drug i used for 14 years, but now it is settling down and i feel better, not huge amounts, but enough to realise the difference and be happy with my decision.Lisa

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I'm too scared to stop cause of D. Every time I've tried to quit I haven't been able to leave my loo for a few weeks and have taken it back up just so the D slows down again!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi, I quit smoking a year and a half ago because the docotr told me it would help my IBS. I have found there to be no change for the better at all. If anything, it has made it worse because I used to smoke when I was stressed. Now I'm just stressed!!! lol!!!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Spas- I didnt know that you smoked. I smoke too and know I need to quit for my overall health. But I often feel that having a cigarette helps me poop so I'm sort of scared to stop. I asked my gastro (IBS xpert) if its true that quitting smoking makes IBS worse. She didnt exactly say no but she did say there were no studies that showed that. Still I have heard some say their IBS (either C or D) flares up when they quit. But on the other hand some people say it doesnt change things at all. At my last visit we talked about wellbutrin which is the same drug in zyban which is a stop smoking pill (and an antidepressant). She says wellbutrin helps IBS too. I know many people who have used wellbutrin to stop smoking and they said when on the medication they dont even want to smoke. I see my gastro next week so we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I heard that
quote:wellbutrin
didn't affect sex drive.I wonder if it's true.Perhaps you could ask your doctor.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Spas- I'll definately ask her. I'm not positive but I think its the ssri's like paxil and zoloft that have sexual side effects. I didn't think wellbutrin had the same. I believe the thing w/wellbutrin is that theres a small chance of getting seizures on it if you have ever had an eating disorder. I remember when it first came out as the brand name Zyban, none of the advertising mentioned sexual side effects.I'm also gonna ask her "how" it/wellbutrin helps IBS cause she already told me it does help IBS. She said they use the trycyclics like elavil/amitryptyline cause it has C as a side effect and they use ssri's like paxil cause its got a side effect of making you poop. Drugs like elavil are also used for IBS pain.I alternate and take both in small doses(way below the "normal" dose for depression). I also have a lot of pain, "spasms", discomfort and the elavil has helped w/that. E-mail me if you want.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Just a note, while one of the side effects of SSRI's like Paxil is that you can poop it had the opposite affect in me. Paxil is actually pretty much given to stop D so if you are a C I wouldn't go there in a hurry
Don't know about the zyban. My doctor gave me a very similar anti dep and expected I would quit smoking on it. For some weird reason it had the opposite effect and I smoked even more than I did when I wasn't on it
Zyban will also only help if you really want to quit (but I guess all quit smoking aides are like that).It seems that today I may have found my solution to quitting though! I bleached my laundry floor and despite a shower and many hand washes every time I light one up it tastes like bleach and makes me want to hurl! YUCK! Maybe I'll just bleach my fingertips for a few weeks and I'll be able to stop

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What to do to replace smoking?I'm not very pro-sports with the IBS thing...

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Ugh me either! I think I would end up taking up fingernail chewing again if I got desperate enough (haven't done that one for about 6 years!).Hmmm I dunno, you could take a touch typing course so you could keep up with me

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Enjoy my new avatar Screamer

1 - 20 of 32 Posts