Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to sound stupid, but I have my flex sig in a few weeks... and its torture. I am terrified they will find something much worse than IBS. I had this dream last night where people were joking that half my organs were *outside* my body.... meaning, I had an ostomy bag (don't know if that is the right term or not) (I already have an insulin pump, and in the dream I also had a second attachment of a continious glucose sensor). Eeek. I am a C so I assume my chances of having something other than IBS are slim. Just got to keep repeating that to myself! I don't mind my pump but having any more attachments than one has got to be weird.sf

G

·
Darlin, you will worry yourself sick take this from someone who knows. You have to relax and hope for the best. We are all here for you and we have all been where you are now. Go Meditate.

G

·
I've had the test done twice before..and yes I found it awful also.(Next painful thing to childbirth in my opinion) The 2nd time I had it done I asked to be drugged up a bit and that made it a bit easier....they gave me some valium. I don't understand why they don't just drug you right up for these invasive and painful exams...For my colonoscopy....I don't even remember it, I was so drugged up. But try to relax and remember its only for a short period of time and atleast they'll be able to rule out or find out what is causing your problems. my prayers with you....

·
Registered
220 Posts
I don't even understand why they do flex sigs anymore when a colonoscopy is so much more revealing and you have to go through the same damn prep. Anyway, from what I've heard, you can get all the same drugs to get you through the sig as they give you for the colonoscopy. I'm sure if you can get something to help you through it, it will be a "breeze." Just remember to discuss it with your doctor in advance so they can give you any necessary blood tests. Also, someone should be available to drive you home if you do get the drugs 'cuz I don't think you'd be in any shape. Good luck.
Let us know how it goes. Bev

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Don't even think about the sig. Just go in there and have it done. I can't believe it...I should talk, I'm usually a nervous baby type about tests and doctors! Remember that lots of people you know (US) have also had sigs, so you can do it too!
P.S. They found a pre-C polyp during my sig. -- so I have to encourage people to have their tests like this done, though I agree that colonoscopies are better. They'll prob. found nothing wrong with you.

·
Registered
598 Posts
One of the reasons we suffer from anxiety is because we don't "stay in the now." We anxious types project ourselves into the future and imagine things worse than usually occur. Try to "stay in the now." Good luck.

·
Registered
435 Posts
This may sound weired to you, but I always hope for them to find something so that I could get it fixed. If I had H pylori or something, then I could take anntibiotics and be okay, right? I never hope for cancer, but if they could find SOMETHING then I wouldnt feel like such a mental case, you know?lala

·
Registered
781 Posts
So far the only real test my doc had me do was the Barium Enema..ugh.. Never again will I take laxatives. I expect you're going through the same thing. The prep was by far worse than the test.Lala..you're not nuts..all of us want them to find something wrong as you would assume that there is a cure ..at least thats how its supposed to work. Don't worry sf...IBS is very common and I can tell you I've had it for a long time. The chances of any kind of serious disease are slim for most of us. Best wishes.

G

·
People must experience different levels of discomfort during the flexible sig procedure because I had one done about 4 years ago, didn't take any drugs, and survived without any pain. The only discomfort I felt was air pressure (they pump some air into you) that felt like gas pains. I agree that doctors should go straight to the colonoscopy. I had one scheduled for Valentine's Day (of all days) but had to cancel. I am rescheduling, and this time I will definitely take drugs.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I asked my GI why I couldn't be drugged for a flex sig and he said "Because you'd have to be in the hospital..." Hmmm. The valium sounds like a good idea, though. Wonder why they don't suggest that you can have that (or bring your own?) Maybe because you'd have to have someone with you? I only had a rigid sig, for some reason, with the old GI (guess he REALLY was behind the times), and it was painful but over before I knew it. I think it was 3 minutes long. How long is a flex sig? Myself, sometime this spring, I think I'll opt for my first colonoscopy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.