Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!I am new here and seek any advice, experiences and possible ease of mind. I was diagnosed with IBS about 11 years ago. I am 40 now. When I first had it, it lasted a good 3-4 months. I experienced diarrhea, constipation, ribbon like stools, mucus on stools, cramping, bloating, twisting pains, and a colic feeling in my colon, usually in one or two areas. I was very scared back then as this just came out of know where. I thought I had this and that and when I finally was diagnosed I learned to deal with it. I had to stop looking at my stools for anxiety reasons but eventually everything eased. Since then I had not had a long term episode like in the beginning. I would have attacks here and there for about 1-3 days at the most and was usually caused by a few foods or stress. This was pretty constant though not on a daily basis. Now after 11 years a few weeks back one day I felt a "colicky" constant feeling in my lower right colon. At this time and a few days before I had alot of diarrhea. Two weeks prior I was on antibiotics for a fractured tooth and a week later started another antibiotic for a sinus infection in which I only took the first 3 pills. I was taking probiotics also while doing this. The next day I had a mucusy stool and the next day started taking Metamucil and have ever since. After a few days I had about 4 days where everything was doing great. Now it is doing the same things "usually" at the lower right section of my colon and have stools containing mucus daily. The first stool of the day almost always does not contain mucus and is not diarrhea or constipation. After that in can very. I have checked out other symptoms of other ailments and just cannot really find anything related. I am out of work right now and have too much time to dwell, and know this isn't good. None of my pain is overwhelming at all but noticeable and not comforting.Is this another "long term" IBS attack or do I have something else I need to worry about? Many of the symptoms I experience now I did have in the first "long term" attack but do not remember so much and has me really worried! I do not have dark or tarry stools or blood. I guess I just need peace of mind and support from my fellow IBS sufferers!Thanks for any feed back!

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Personally I do not think you have anything to worry about. I have had IBS for 20 yrs and most of those years have been "in a flare". So your bout here seems like a vacation to me! lolBut by all means go see your Dr to calm yourself and ease any fears you may have. Plus it is always good to run new or different symptoms by your Dr.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with BQ... Sounds like a flare up... I have had IBS for 8 years and I too always seem to be more in a flare than not... And there are so many stressors that can set it off and keep it going...I also agree that you should talk to your doctor... If nothing else it will ease your mind...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! It means a lot! Just like in another recent post it almost seemed like the same thing except this member had issues on her left side where mine are mostly on the right. Not painful but noticeable and worrisome as it is almost constant, but does fluctuate in spots and feeling. Gotta just stop dwelling and take one day at a time and hopefully like the first time it eases with me not dwelling and having anxiety over it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts