Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I had a mammogram last week. Yesterday doc's office called and said there was calcifacation on the x-ray, and since this was my first mammogram they have nothing to compare it too. I have to go for another x-ray on Thursday. After reading up on it, it seems that most of the time it is nothing to worry about, but needless to say I am worried anyway. This is of course making my ibs symptoms worse. Anyone expierence this? Please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I felt a difference on the two sides and the GP felt it as well and sent me for Mammogram. I didn't have calcification, but had stuff showed up that needed both ultrasound (cysts that were not clearly simple safe cysts) and then had to have needle biopsies of the cysts.It was all free and clear based on the fluid withdrawn. Had my yearly follow up and it was clean, so I'm ok until next year (and can go for screening rather than diagnosic mamograms, whatever that means)I've done some educational stuff and I forget exact percentages, but most of the time if you get a blip on the mamogram it is ends up being nothing. Still you gotta do the follow up and all that just in case.K.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Kazzy I will be sending you cyber good wishes and support. Hopefully and probably its nothing. The bad thing about mammograms I think is that they sometimes pick up ambiguous things that can be scarey. I had one a few yrs back that I got a call about that they had seen a "new area of density" and wanted me to have it done again in 6 months. It turned out to be a skin mole that I have on the underside of my breast.The tech figured that out actually when I had the 2nd one. I was a wreck for 6 months. Could you have maybe had on some powder or deodorant (even in a microscopic amount)when you went for your mammogram? Even if you had used it on your stomach with all the positioning they do to your breasts some of it could have gotten in the area. I am pretty sure that those things can look like calcifications on an xray. But still you have to check it out to be 100% in the clear. Kath-"Screening" mamograms are just routine yearly deals. "Diagnostic" ones are when they are looking specifically at an area/watchful waiting type thing, (I think)

G

·
Kazzy - I haven't had a scary mammogram but have had several recalls with cervical smears so I have an inkling of just how you are feeling and if, like all of us here, you also suffer with IBS then you must be feeling pretty rotten and shaken up. I would say the percentages are very much in your favour and I suppose what we should realise is in a strange way thank god for these procedures as they are preventative but it is hell whilst you are waiting. God bless and please let us all know how you go on.Sue, Manchester

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.