Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made an appointment with an allergist (in a month) and I asked about allergy blood testing. The secretary said they don't do that, they do scratch tests. Does anyone know if these are effective, and if they will pick up the so called "sensitivities" that I've read about LEAP being able to diagnose?I am IBS-C so I don't even know if this is worthwhile, but thought it was worth a shot. Any information would be appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had allergy scratch tests done less than a year ago. They ask you many questions about what things bother you and what you think you may be allergic to or want to be checked for. They do a medical history. They make a grid map on your back, then the rub your back with this alcohol like substance and then make pricks in you back sticking the needles in. Now, I hate needles and was terrified to have it done but it doesn't hurt at all. Just feels a little funny. They leave them in for about 10 minutes and then come back to see. If where the are any red raised bumps or a rash of some sort then you are most likely allergic to that which you were tested for. If you are the area where the needle is usually becomes red and swollen and itchy. It was really a simple test however it is not guarrentee. There are many things that did not show up in a blood test but showed up on the scratch test, and vice versa. Some things just show up but you are allergic to them. So there is nothing that is 100% accurate at catches everything that you are allergic to. I hope that helps you someone. If you have any more questions ask, and I will do the best I can to answer them for you! Let me know how things go!

G

·
Hi... I suffer from a myriad of allergies...and what I can tell you about scratch tests is that they're not all that accurate.If we're talking about food allergies... your best guide is your own reaction to the foods. You may want to discuss this with an allergist who is experienced in diagnosing food allergies. You will need to alter the way that you eat until you can figure out which foods are causing you problems.Allergies are also different from intolerances. Many times I think we misinterpret intolerances as allergies. An example would be lactose intolerance. A true allery would result in something like a severe case of hives... a more systemic reacion all over your body.... such as your throat swelling and closing.Been there. Take Care. :love:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot Artspirit and bluesclues, I will definitely be aware that this will not be 100% accurate and they may miss some "sensitivities". It doesn't sound too fun, but I'll try anything!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hi Caroline,Just to add some more specific information to your question.No, the scratch test and the LEAP test test for entirely different immune system components. They find completely different things: as Artspirit said, between allergy and intolerance.Best of luck,Lisa from Nevada

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
LEAP http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...ic;f=4;t=000285 WHAT IS LEAP? http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...ic;f=4;t=000287 LEAP PT UPDATES http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...ic;f=4;t=000286 Scratch tests, which are pretty good for things like inhalants, are about 40% -50% reliable at identifying clinical food ALLERGY (JAMA)...many false positives....so one wants to try to use oral challenge under medical supervision to confirm any results. This can be risky if there is any history of anaphylaxis. Sometimes for ALLERGIES it is better to go ahead and get a RAST or ELISA for specific Ig[x] classes to foods to rule out allergies...the newere generation of testing has improved upon past results whichw ere also less than 50% reliable. At least its only one needle
MNL

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for responding.Mike, how would I go about finding someone who did the blood test as opposed to the scratch test? If this test is relatively archaic and unreliable in its results I wonder why it is still used.Is it cheaper to do this than a blood test?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
CarolineI had the scratch test (skin prick) for everything possible..and it all come back fine..The test didnt hurt just 100's of little needle's...and I keep looking for them to get red and it didnt...Leap has a different test that was able to pick up where others left off

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.