Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.Tomorrow afternoon i see the NHS GI consultant for a routine follow up.There is no doubt i am much improved since being discharged from hospital at the start of december. My weight is now back to normal at 67kg (i was down to 56kg in november!).My food intake still isn't as it should be and i still have frequent bouts of nausea. I think tomorrow he will discharge me as there are no more tests to do.I will question him on my adrenal insufficiency results as these came back abnormal (thats all i was told and that i didn't have addisons disease for deffinate).I am still awaiting to see the IBS expert and surgeon ref my gallbladder.There is no doubt though that i have improved massively since starting mitrazapine (i have the psychiatrist to thank for that.....God bless her).I still can't tolerate alcohol at all (at least my liver is pleased!) and i have to eat small meals.Compared to many on here my symptoms at present are mild and i am thankful for that at least.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hello RiddickGlad to hear your symptoms have eased ever so slightly.I suffer from nausea a lot and also eat small amounts a lot of the time.Like yourself i do not drink alcohol,have not been able to for years,i am 6stones in weight.IBS is just one awful illness!Hope you get on okay tomorrow with the GI Consultant and see the IBS expert soon.Take care.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Diana.I'll let you know how i get on. I agree with you that IBS is one seriously awful condition and sadly very misunderstood by medics and the public alike.It's a crying shame that it affects so many people so seriously and yet so little is commited to it in terms of finances for research.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi allI saw the NHS GI consultant today. He has now discharged me as there are no more tests he's willing to do. He's happy with my progress and happy with the weight i've put on since starting mitrazapine.On the gallbladder he was non commital. He did say it could possibly be my gallbladder but until it goes belly up permanently we'll never know.The only way to diagnose it would be repeated HIDA scans when i am poorly and there is no way the NHS will pay for that. He did say the private surgeon i'm seeing will probably see it as a 50/50 chance of a cure of my symptoms permanently by removing it.On the negative side removal may make my symptoms worse...it is a gamble i will have to decide on.So i am officially discharged. He did mention that should i have a relapse he would be willing to see me at short notice as he really wants to avoid the repeated hospital admissions and lengthy stays of 2009.As for IBS again he was non commital though he did say it was probably a likely diagnosis.

·
Registered
722 Posts
It is good that the mitrapazine is helping you at the moment,i do hope that carrys on to.Hospital consultants can be so vague and as you say non commital at times,they are the ones you feel should be giving us some answers,thats what they get paid for!!Saying that i have had no help from consultants either,its ibs and thats that!My sister had her gallbladder removed a few years ago by keyhole surgery and has had no problems since,but i do know it can be a difficult decision to make,when you have other symptoms to think about.I do hope 2010 is better for you.Take care.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts